There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What are your thoughts on superstars creating NBA "Mega Teams""

What are your thoughts on superstars creating NBA "Mega Teams""

"The Lakers, Celtics, Bulls and Spurs have won 24 out of the last 30 NBA Championships = 80%. Why is everyone freaking out, saying that Superstar players are wrong in trying to create "mega star teams". Aren't 5-6 mega teams better than 2-3?" -Tom Tolbert KNBR host

Mr. T went onto say fans and writers shouldn't be outraged with players trying to pick markets they want to play in, and that building up markets like NY/NJ, Miami, OKC, Chicago would be good for the league because it takes away power from LA, BOS, and maybe Spurs.
if my team (Warriors) can't be a 'mega team' than I'm against mega teams.

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

so your okay with only 4 teams winning 80% of all Championships the next 30 years?
I've no problem with that, but I don't like the fact that NBA has made it easy for big markets to build super teams. I don't have any problem with Spurs and OKC because they had draft luck on their side.

What I have problem with is, a small market team can't go into FA and sign a big star. It is usually an exception, and when they do - they have to over-pay.

A hard cap will essentially make things a little even. If every team can only spend $70-75M - then we will see a lot of quality teams, and more unpredictable results.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:49 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I've no problem with that, but I don't like the fact that NBA has made it easy for big markets to build super teams. I don't have any problem with Spurs and OKC because they had draft luck on their side.

What I have problem with is, a small market team can't go into FA and sign a big star. It is usually an exception, and when they do - they have to over-pay.

A hard cap will essentially make things a little even. If every team can only spend $70-75M - then we will see a lot of quality teams, and more unpredictable results.

The Warriors are in a top 5 large market and can't attract any big name F.A's though. I do know your point though, and that's why teams like the Spurs and OKC show that the best way to build is through the draft with an occasional "big trade" every 3-4 years.
Overblown. Aside from Lebron/Wade/Bosh, there's nothing out of the ordinary.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

so your okay with only 4 teams winning 80% of all Championships the next 30 years?

lol of course not, I was just making a joke, a bad one apparently.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

lol of course not, I was just making a joke, a bad one apparently.

oh my bad I thought u were just another burnt out Warriors fan. my bad.
i really don't mind. it's a lot more entertaining imo
  • crzy
  • Veteran
God I hope there is an extended lockout.

I hope all the NBA players lose a year of paychecks, half of them would go broke.

The player's union would come crawling back to the owners.

Franchise tags, non-guaranteed contacts, reduced salaries.

No more motherf**kers holding teams hostages like Lebron and Melo did this past year.

The players union needs to be obliterated.
[ Edited by crzy on Feb 25, 2011 at 6:29 PM ]
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Yep. Miami's the only team that's done it.

Lakers = Drafted Kobe 13th overall, Dealt expiring k & picks for Gasol, drafted Bynum 10th, traded Shaq for Odom

Boston = Drafted Rondo 21st in draft, drafted Pierce 10th, traded Al Jefferson & others for KG, traded 5th pick in draft for Ray Allen.

San Antonio = Drafted Duncan 1st, drafted Manu 57th, drafted Parker 28th

OKC = Drafted Durant 1st, drafted Westbrook 4th

Dallas = Drafted Dirk 9th, traded for Jason Kidd, traded for Jason Terry

Look at where a lot of these guys were drafted or what they were traded for. They coulda been had by several teams.
  • crzy
  • Veteran
Pretty much every NBA legend, Barkley, Jordan has said the same thing....

That NBA players used to have competitiveness. They used to take pride in leading their teams to success and beating their competition instead of joining them.

Sadly, this era of NBA superstars want to play with their buddies, take the easy path toward rings.

It's pathetic.

Lebron leading Cleveland to one championship would have been worth more than 10 rings in Miami.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Lakers = Drafted Kobe 13th overall, Dealt expiring k & picks for Gasol, drafted Bynum 10th, traded Shaq for Odom

Boston = Drafted Rondo 21st in draft, drafted Pierce 10th, traded Al Jefferson & others for KG, traded 5th pick in draft for Ray Allen.

Look at where a lot of these guys were drafted or what they were traded for. They coulda been had by several teams.

Perfect post. Besides all that, I really don't think there's anything wrong with waht the Miami guys did. It seems like everybody wants to rip pro athletes for only caring about the money, and not the success of the team. These guys all take less money to help benefit the team, and they get ripped on for it.

I think it all comes down to Lebron being a douche with his announcement show.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

This.
It's their money.