There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Carmelo Anthony Drama

Originally posted by Arminini:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
As a Knicks fan, I welcome Carmelo but will miss the players they gave up. Those player out played their contracts and it is exactly what you need on a team to win.

But it is almost a fact that you need 2 studs on your team to win in the NBA. But I will go out on a limb and say Gallinari was on the road to being someone special, great shooter.

Mozgov was showing a few sparks of talent and may have well been on
His way to a 2nd tier Center in
The NBA.

Welcome Carmelo

Good evaluation all around.

My problem with Melo and Amare are that neither of them play defense, and there isn't much precedent for a SF/PF combo being the main players on a title team, and I've never thought that D'Antoni's style was conducive to winning titles. But they'll be exciting for sure.

I tend to agree with this assessment but am still mulling over a couple facts...

1) Rebounding- if Melo and Amare can play their natural 3 and 4 positions along side a strong 5 they will be mosters on the board. Theyre both strong and athletic and can outrebound most anyone at their position. With that rebounding advantage they can play uptempo without the implied sacrifice of rebounding. A big, athletic 5 man like Gortat, Robin Lopez or *gulp* Dwight Howard would be scary.

2) Scoring- Offensively, both guys can get whatever they want. the 7 seconds or less system can be adapted to their style because theyre both quick scorers versus more methodical guys. The Suns 7 seconds or Shaq had no chance of success because of his lumbering style, but i think a Knicks' 7 seconds or Melo/Amare can work.

3) The Suns got unlucky in the playoffs a couple times and appeared to be a play or two away from breaking through. ie Joe Johnson faceplant, Amare suspension. So much of winning a championship is getting the breaks at crucial times and it seemed to allude them through no fault of the system. Needless to say, if Sarver wasnt a cheap ass and kept Rondo's pick or payed Joe Johnson the chances of a championship would grow exponentially. Offensive minded systems have worked on other levels of basketball and i think the rules are set up for a system like this to win in the NBA as well.

I partially disagree with the rebounding aspect. Melo's an excellent rebounder at the 3, but Amare's still a below average rebounder at the 4, as Suns fans can attest to. He spent most of last year playing at the PF spot, and drove fans crazy with his rebounding. He just doesn't have the mentality.

As for the SSOL Suns, they only got to the Conference Finals once, where they lost in 6 games to the Mavs. And each time they lost to San Antonio it was in 5 or 6 games as well. The Suns got to the WCFs last year after putting more importance on the defensive end of the floor.

I see D'Antoni as being similar to Don Nelson...I don't think their style has shown to be conducive to winning titles. You're almost always gonna run into a team like the Lakers or Spurs who have size and can slow the game down, which is usually that kinda team's death knell.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Arminini:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
As a Knicks fan, I welcome Carmelo but will miss the players they gave up. Those player out played their contracts and it is exactly what you need on a team to win.

But it is almost a fact that you need 2 studs on your team to win in the NBA. But I will go out on a limb and say Gallinari was on the road to being someone special, great shooter.

Mozgov was showing a few sparks of talent and may have well been on
His way to a 2nd tier Center in
The NBA.

Welcome Carmelo

Good evaluation all around.

My problem with Melo and Amare are that neither of them play defense, and there isn't much precedent for a SF/PF combo being the main players on a title team, and I've never thought that D'Antoni's style was conducive to winning titles. But they'll be exciting for sure.

I tend to agree with this assessment but am still mulling over a couple facts...

1) Rebounding- if Melo and Amare can play their natural 3 and 4 positions along side a strong 5 they will be mosters on the board. Theyre both strong and athletic and can outrebound most anyone at their position. With that rebounding advantage they can play uptempo without the implied sacrifice of rebounding. A big, athletic 5 man like Gortat, Robin Lopez or *gulp* Dwight Howard would be scary.

2) Scoring- Offensively, both guys can get whatever they want. the 7 seconds or less system can be adapted to their style because theyre both quick scorers versus more methodical guys. The Suns 7 seconds or Shaq had no chance of success because of his lumbering style, but i think a Knicks' 7 seconds or Melo/Amare can work.

3) The Suns got unlucky in the playoffs a couple times and appeared to be a play or two away from breaking through. ie Joe Johnson faceplant, Amare suspension. So much of winning a championship is getting the breaks at crucial times and it seemed to allude them through no fault of the system. Needless to say, if Sarver wasnt a cheap ass and kept Rondo's pick or payed Joe Johnson the chances of a championship would grow exponentially. Offensive minded systems have worked on other levels of basketball and i think the rules are set up for a system like this to win in the NBA as well.

I partially disagree with the rebounding aspect. Melo's an excellent rebounder at the 3, but Amare's still a below average rebounder at the 4, as Suns fans can attest to. He spent most of last year playing at the PF spot, and drove fans crazy with his rebounding. He just doesn't have the mentality.

As for the SSOL Suns, they only got to the Conference Finals once, where they lost in 6 games to the Mavs. And each time they lost to San Antonio it was in 5 or 6 games as well. The Suns got to the WCFs last year after putting more importance on the defensive end of the floor.

I see D'Antoni as being similar to Don Nelson...I don't think their style has shown to be conducive to winning titles. You're almost always gonna run into a team like the Lakers or Spurs who have size and can slow the game down, which is usually that kinda team's death knell.

It's not that Amare can't rebound with the best of them, it's that he's inconsistent. He'll pull down 16 rebounds one night, then 5 the next. Same thing with his defense. He can string together several games where he looks good defensively, then turn around and let a guy like Anthony Randolph drop 20 on him. And you're right, it's his approach mentally.

That was the most frustrating thing about Amare. He has the physical tools to be a complete PF, but he's too focused on his offensive output to perform consistently in other aspects expected of a player at the 4.
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Feb 22, 2011 at 11:43 AM ]
double post
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Feb 22, 2011 at 11:42 AM ]
really like the addition of billups for the knicks, as a piston fan have fond memories of him, he will be the straw that stirs the drink and theres still some gas left in his tank
christomasson

Details of Melo's extension. After earning $18.52 mil next season, he'll get $19.45 mil (12-13), $21.49 million (13-14), $23.53 mil (14-15)
Originally posted by valrod33:
christomasson

Details of Melo's extension. After earning $18.52 mil next season, he'll get $19.45 mil (12-13), $21.49 million (13-14), $23.53 mil (14-15)

Nice pay checks. Not only did he get to play for his team, but he got the cash. When their CBA expires, he would not have got that money next year and he knew it.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,858
Good trade by the Knicks imo.

They basically swap Felton for Billups which is a win for NY. Wilson Chandler would have been released in the offseason to make room for Melo had they waited until then. So basically, its Melo for Galinari and Mozgov and picks. Not all that bad.

Let's see if this team can learn to play defense. Highly unlikely with D'antoni. Nothing else, this team will be exciting. Maybe next year, somehow, they can get CP3 or Deron Williams and they'll be competing for the next 5 years.
Originally posted by Amir_Mamu:
Good trade by the Knicks imo.

They basically swap Felton for Billups which is a win for NY. Wilson Chandler would have been released in the offseason to make room for Melo had they waited until then. So basically, its Melo for Galinari and Mozgov and picks. Not all that bad.

Let's see if this team can learn to play defense. Highly unlikely with D'antoni. Nothing else, this team will be exciting. Maybe next year, somehow, they can get CP3 or Deron Williams and they'll be competing for the next 5 years.

So it's basically Chandler, Galinari, Mozgov, and picks for Melo. It doesn't matter if the Knicks would have to drop Chandler to make room, it's still a player they'd have to give up for him.
JUST COME TO LAKER TOWN ALREADY!
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
JUST COME TO LAKER TOWN ALREADY!

Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
JUST COME TO LAKER TOWN ALREADY!


should we tell him that Melo got traded to the Grizzlies or let him think he is still available?
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
JUST COME TO LAKER TOWN ALREADY!


Well the Knicks already played in LA this year, so maybe he's hoping for a LA/NY Finals?
I think the Nuggets should take him with the third pick.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
JUST COME TO LAKER TOWN ALREADY!


I believe Hawaii is three hours behind us, so maybe he hasn't heard the news yet.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
JUST COME TO LAKER TOWN ALREADY!


I believe Hawaii is three hours behind us, so maybe he hasn't heard the news yet.