Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

San Francisco Giants' Top 20 Prospects for 2011

Originally posted by SourdoughDan:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/11/14/1814238/san-francisco-giants-top-20-prospects-for-2011

heres the giants top 20 prospects according to John Sickels who follows this stuff for a profession.

Gillaspie didn't even make that Top 20.

I wasnt impressed by this ranking at all. Jarrett Parker #7? Gillaspie not in top 20? I dont think so.

Well he does just swing through every organization really quickly in his preliminary rankings, but Sickels is generally pretty good with his rankings.

I think his list is okay...Parker looks to be a little high, Chuckie Jones, Rafael Rodriguez and Hector Sanchez have to be in the top 20 in my opinion. As for Gillaspie...I'm not too impressed, he doesn't make my top 20 either.

Those 3 havent done anything yet in my opinion to warrant being top 20 choices. As for Gillaspie.. well he did lead the Arizona Fall League in Homers and had a .947 OPS. Granted this is a small sample but its also against top competition. I have to believe the Giants consider him a top 20 prospect or they wouldnt have him on their 40 man roster.
  • kush
  • Veteran
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/11/14/1814238/san-francisco-giants-top-20-prospects-for-2011

heres the giants top 20 prospects according to John Sickels who follows this stuff for a profession.

I wasnt impressed by this ranking at all. Jarrett Parker #7? Gillaspie not in top 20? I dont think so.

Well he does just swing through every organization really quickly in his preliminary rankings, but Sickels is generally pretty good with his rankings.

I think his list is okay...Parker looks to be a little high, Chuckie Jones, Rafael Rodriguez and Hector Sanchez have to be in the top 20 in my opinion. As for Gillaspie...I'm not too impressed, he doesn't make my top 20 either.

Those 3 havent done anything yet in my opinion to warrant being top 20 choices. As for Gillaspie.. well he did lead the Arizona Fall League in Homers and had a .947 OPS. Granted this is a small sample but its also against top competition. I have to believe the Giants consider him a top 20 prospect or they wouldnt have him on their 40 man roster.

The Arizona Fall League is notorious for being very hitter friendly. Just look at what Charlie Culberson did there this year. As for Gillaspie, other than his short stint in the Arizona Fall League his numbers have been extremely underwhelming, especially considering his age and draft position. Add in his subpar defense and I just don't see him becoming anything more than a AAAA player.

As for Sanchez, last year he was young for his league and more than held his own. I expect him to really take off in San Jose this year. He is also a superb defensive catcher. Jones' raw power and performance in the Arizona Fall League has to land him in the top 20 somewhere.

The Arizona Fall League is notorious for being very hitter friendly. Just look at what Charlie Culberson did there this year. As for Gillaspie, other than his short stint in the Arizona Fall League his numbers have been extremely underwhelming, especially considering his age and draft position. Add in his subpar defense and I just don't see him becoming anything more than a AAAA player.

As for Sanchez, last year he was young for his league and more than held his own. I expect him to really take off in San Jose this year. He is also a superb defensive catcher. Jones' raw power and performance in the Arizona Fall League has to land him in the top 20 somewhere.

Gillaspie was a much more highly rated prospect than any of the guys you name coming to the Giants. Again, I dont think he would be on the 40 man roster if he wasnt a top 20 prospect. He is certainly not old (22) and didnt decline when going to AA like so many do after success at A ball. The guy was a hitting machine in college so I still have hope for him.

Chuckie Jones is miles away from sniffing a major league field. He struck out 61 times in just 165 at bats. I'm not saying he doesnt have potential but to put him as a top 20 right now is a huge stretch in my opinion. Same with Rodriguez.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com