LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

Qatar beats out USA to host 2022 World Cup

A nation smaller than the state of Connecticut, that battles 130 degree heat, will host the worlds largest sporting event.

ZURICH -- The tiny desert nation of Qatar beat out the United States as the 2022 World Cup host, with FIFA brushing aside doubts about blistering heat to bring soccer's showcase event for the first time to the Middle East.

The 22 voters on FIFA's executive committee, some accused of corruption in the weeks leading up to their meeting, picked Russia to stage the 2018 tournament, another first-time host.

Qatar, an oil-rich nation that has been independent since 1971, has a population of about 1.7 million -- 500,000 less than Houston. At 4,416 square miles, it is smaller than Connecticut.

"We go to new lands," FIFA president Sepp Blatter said.

Qatar, which has promised to overcome heat of up to 130 degrees with air conditioned outdoor stadiums, won out over the U.S., Australia, Japan and South Korea in a secret vote Thursday.

The U.S. Soccer Federation, which spent millions of dollars on its bid and brought over former President Bill Clinton for its closing presentation, was hoping to bring the World Cup back to America for the first time since 1994 and boost the steady but slow growth of the sport in the U.S.

Russia was chosen over England and joint bids by Spain-Portugal and Netherlands-Belgium. "We cannot really express how happy we are," said Alexey Sorokin, CEO of Russia's bid. "It's a great victory."

Following corruption allegations that led to two executive committee members being excluded from the final votes, the decisions were bound to be controversial even before they were made. And American sports executives will now be left to wonder what they have do to host another major international event.

"Basically, oil and natural gas won today. This was not about merit, this was about money," former U.S. national team star Eric Wynalda said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. Qatar "is a country that is really going to struggle to host this event. A successful World Cup would mean the attendance would be twice the population."

Qatar, which has never even qualified for a World Cup, used its 30-minute presentation to underline how the tournament could unify a region ravaged by conflict. Presenters also promised to dismantle the stadiums built for the tournament and give them to needy nations.

Link to story
The San Francisco Giants lost the world cup bid
Originally posted by valrod33:
The San Francisco Giants lost the world cup bid

It bulls**t how North America will go at least 28 years without hosting a world cup. How is that f**king consistent?
Originally posted by 1251alex:
It bulls**t how North America will go at least 28 years without hosting a world cup. How is that f**king consistent?

1st of all when one says "north america" he/she means usa...correct. cause when is it the last time anyone heard of Canada hosting the mighty world cup.

oh as if most of you all have forgotten this is after all World Cup therefore it can be played anywhere on the belly of mother earth. peep that and chew on that for a second.
What. The. f**k.
Originally posted by 1251alex:

Yeah that, and the fact that a country smaller than Connecticut that gets up to 130 DEGREE HEAT will host the friggin cup!! They plan to air condition outdoor stadiums to control the heat. Are you f**king serious?
Fifa did a great job at increasing their USA fanbase

Originally posted by ads_2006:

#1 that's not their priority

#2 Qatar had an edge because it has hosted many FIFA events before, I believe U-20 WC's or something like that, Qatar for all the fun you wanna make of them can host a WC much better than southafrica can

and don't get it twisted, I wanted the WC here though
Originally posted by vrabbit:

#2 Qatar had an edge because it has hosted many FIFA events before, I believe U-20 WC's or something like that, Qatar for all the fun you wanna make of them can host a WC much better than southafrica can

well put vrabbit.

sucks for the sport!
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by vrabbit:

well put vrabbit.

it's true, I also think North America gets the shaft because the US and Mexico are really the only ones who 1)make a good push/case to host a WC and, 2) have the means necessary to make it happen.

However Mexico has hosted 2 and US 1 and outside those countries the only other country that comes close to being an option is Canada and, well, let's just leave it at that.

I do believe FIFA gives and edge to countries that have never hosted the WC before, Russia and Qatar back up this belief but again that's just my theory. And Asia did such a well job in 02 with two nations you knew they were gonna go back there, and Qatar makes perfect sense for the reasons I posted.

Now my theory would give hope to Venezuela getting that 2026 bid they are pushing for, but I still don't see it as my gut tells me Uruguay will get the 2030 bid for the 100th years of the WC and South America will not get back to back WC's, especially if Venezuela is one of them.

I wouldn't even be shocked if 2026 goes to like Australia or something (totally out of my ass, don't even know if they are making a push but if they aren't the should) I see 2026 going back to Europe or USA may have an outside shot at that too.
Oil money talks
Its ok the World is going to end in 2012 anyways.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Its ok the World is going to end in 2012 anyways.

Don't be a sheep.
Share 49ersWebzone