LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Official Hot Stove Thread (MLB free agency)

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
do the unthinkable and sign crawford!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
On ESPN insider, the phillies are considering bringing back Rowand if they Giants help on the salary. They are losing Werth and think Rowand would fit.

if were gonna help with the salary they should at least give us a prospect or 2

oh yeah, it would be a trade so they would need to give something.

That would be interesting. I'd kind of feel like a dick trading Rowand after we won the WS but it'd save us some money and free up a roster spot for a more useful player. We should see what they're willing to do. It also makes a potential playoff match up weaker.

If it helps our chances of getting crawford then LATE Rowand
How many more years are we tied up with Zito?
Originally posted by rigs49:
How many more years are we tied up with Zito?

3 more

2011 18.5 million
2012 19 million
2013 20 million

Then the Giants will pay Zito 7 million to buy out the option for 2014
Originally posted by jrg:
Wow..I'm done here

jrg wants a ton for Rasmus because he knows deep down theres a chance Pujols doesnt re-sign, and it scares him to death. he could get alot more on the open market, and its looking more and more by the day that he may be open to leaving STL if he cant get the deal him and his agent are looking for.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Wow..I'm done here

jrg wants a ton for Rasmus because he knows deep down theres a chance Pujols doesnt re-sign, and it scares him to death. he could get alot more on the open market, and its looking more and more by the day that he may be open to leaving STL if he cant get the deal him and his agent are looking for.

You Giant fans are hilarious
Wow..I'm done here

hey now, dont group me in with that guy.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Wow..I'm done here

Yeah, my bad..there are actually a lot of awesome Giant posters here...but...really?

Lol

Niners99...read up on the internet. Pujols has made it clear he is going to retire a Cardinal. Rasmus has nothing to do w/ that. Rasmus will never be able to put up the #'s and fill the void so to say that Pujols would leave...so I don't know where you got that. Rasmus is one of the better young players in the league. Has nothing to do w/ Pujols.
Wow..I'm done here

meh. but isnt Rasmus unhappy?

odds are he signs, but obviously getting pujols to sign is first order of business. and if u could trade rasmus for some young talent that is salary controlled in order to open up more money for pujols, then it makes sense
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Wow..I'm done here

meh. but isnt Rasmus unhappy?

odds are he signs, but obviously getting pujols to sign is first order of business. and if u could trade rasmus for some young talent that is salary controlled in order to open up more money for pujols, then it makes sense

As I said multiple times before...all that was a big frustration thing because the Cardinals' season was slipping away. Pujols/Rasmus/LaRussa are all fine.

LaRussa is back.

Rasmus is going nowhere.

Pujols is going nowhere.

Only future things that scare me is the $ situation in keeping Wainwright and Carpenter coming up.
[ Edited by jrg on Nov 6, 2010 at 6:48 PM ]

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by valrod33:
This Colby Rasmus for Carlos Quentin talk is pissing me off

f**k Carlos Quentin..they can keep his .240 average.

Gonna have to do better then that Chicago.

Colby Rasmus for Jair Jurrens was talked about by a braves blogger.

I was like

Thats even worse then Quentin lol

Colby Rasmus to the Giants for FREE!

Lol, but seriously, this get rid of Colby Rasmus stuff out of StL is dumb on their part.

Jonathon Sanchez for Colby Rasmus is a deal that would actually be good for both teams.

I'd do it. Rasmus will be a star.

Im sure the Giants would pull the trigger on that one. I dont know if the Cards would though. I'm not sure why the Rasmus trade talk either.

whats so great about Colby Rasmus? i would certainly NOT trade Sanchez for him straight up.

people dont seem to get what Sanchez is. hes a young, left handed SP with a fantastic k/9 and league leading opp. avg. who can pitch 200+ innings, has no hit caliber stuff when hes right, his stats have been rapidly improving each year, and for the time being hes dirt cheap.

Jonathan Sanchez is GOLD. pure gold to other GM's. all those things i just mentioned....kinda rare to find all in one place. he has his control issues, but thats pretty much the only reason why he isnt an ace already. every teams pitching coach looks at him and says "im confident i could help fix his control issues, and then hed be our ace".

Colby Rasmus is a young OF with decent pop and potential to be a solid major league hitter. you can find those all over. most every team has a guy like Colby Rasmus in their organization.

now i dont really look at the Cards as a team in need of a SP as much as other teams, so they probably wouldnt be willing to pay Sanchez's price. but for a team in need of starting pitching, they would deal a couple real good hitters for Sanchez. Brian Sabean has stated that at some point every single major league team has called him about what hed want for Sanchez.

Quote:
From the Preseason Top 50 Prospects list, the following have moved on: 1. David Price; 2. Matt Wieters; 4. Rick Porcello; 5. Cameron Maybin; 7. Travis Snider; 10. Colby Rasmus; 12. Andrew McCutchen; 13. Brett Anderson; 15. Dexter Fowler; 17. Trevor Cahill; 21. Elvis Andrus; 23. Mat Gamel; 24. Tommy Hanson; 45. James McDonald; 46. Derek Holland; 47. Kyle Blanks; 50. Jeff Samardzija.

Maybe we can trade you Brad Penny for Buster Posey while were at it.

im very aware of Rasmus' past status on the prospect rankings, but that doesnt mean anything. Sanchez has done it in the majors. most of Rasmus' value is potential. that list is old btw. Matt Wieters is number 2 on there, and lets just say he hasnt had a Posey like start to his career...

so far all Rasmus has proved is he can hit .265 with 20 homers in the majors. he also strikes out a ton.

Rasmus is already a very nice player and has huge upside. The Giants do need another LH bat and he would be a fixture in CF or RF. Sanchez for Rasmus is equal value.

ill agree to disagree. theres alot more Colby Rasmus's in baseball than Jonathan Sanchez's. young lefty SP with ace stuff dont grow on trees. they are possibly the most coveted asset to have in baseball, outside maybe young catchers with hitting ability.

this teams winning formula has little to do with hitting. we won the WS with a lineup of average veterans. i just dont think its wise to deal one of our "big 4" for a bat, unless its a bat who can carry an offense.
Wow..I'm done here

Yeah, my bad..there are actually a lot of awesome Giant posters here...but...really?

Lol

Niners99...read up on the internet. Pujols has made it clear he is going to retire a Cardinal. Rasmus has nothing to do w/ that. Rasmus will never be able to put up the #'s and fill the void so to say that Pujols would leave...so I don't know where you got that. Rasmus is one of the better young players in the league. Has nothing to do w/ Pujols.

"The St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Joe Strauss said in an interview on 550 AM in St. Louis Friday that he thinks the chances Albert Pujols signs an extension with the Cardinals could soon be at less than 50/50.
Strauss said he originally would've put the odds of Pujols staying in St. Louis at 75/25, but it seems the chances are decreasing by the day. It's not clear what has occurred that's made Strauss reduce the odds so drastically. Pujols certainly could get more money on the open market, but he's said consistently that he'd like to remain in St. Louis. If he goes into next season without a new deal, it will officially be time for Cardinals fans to start worrying."

talk is cheap. players say they want to retire places all the time, and when contract talks start, and they dont feel "appreciated" enough to get what they feel theyre worth, all the sudden things "didnt work out that way".
[ Edited by Niners99 on Nov 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM ]
Wow..I'm done here

Lol

I simply said that Sanchez and Rasmus were equal value. I do believe that. I also dont think the Cards would make the trade. I dont see them dealing a bat right now for another SP. As to Pujols... I would be SHOCKED if he goes anywhere. I believe the Cards will do whatever it takes to sign him.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Wow..I'm done here

Lol

I simply said that Sanchez and Rasmus were equal value. I do believe that. I also dont think the Cards would make the trade. I dont see them dealing a bat right now for another SP. As to Pujols... I would be SHOCKED if he goes anywhere. I believe the Cards will do whatever it takes to sign him.

We made that mistake last year trading Ludwick for Westbrook
Wow..I'm done here

Lol

i agree with both of you. i think Pujols will probably stay, but theres always that chance he leaves. i think Cards fans dont all get that if the Yankees say "hey Albert, whatd they offer you? 180 mil? hows 260 sound?" hes not going to say "keep your money! STL is my home!"

in the end a hometown discount can only be so much. id like to see Albert stay in a Cards uniform. the Yankees buying everyone sucks for baseball. i just think the whole Cleveland/Lebron attitude of "he'll never leave us. this is his home." is a naive mistake.
Share 49ersWebzone