There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Official Hot Stove Thread (MLB free agency)

Why is it called the Hot Stove?
Originally posted by Macas:

The term calls up images of baseball fans, anxious for the start of the new season, gathering around a hot stove during the cold winter months discussing their favorite baseball teams.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by rigs49:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by Dapro:
I think the Giants should go after Jason Werth!

No thanks, Aaron Rowand 2.0

I think he may be worth it.

Werth is going to command big bucks, and i just dont think hes all that great a player. hes very good, but he will want to be paid like a "great" player.

hes never hit .300, never driven in 100 runs, and his power came magically after he played half his home games in a bandbox when he came to Philly. hes going to be 32 in May next season, and he will want alot of money for someone his age in a longterm deal.

were better off getting Crawford, who has tools much more suitable for our home park and style of play. imagine what Crawford could do with triples alley....

but enough of that. everyone knows the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, or Mets will fork over MEGA cash in the offseason for him. we cant afford him. the only thing we will be able to use is "hey Carl....were the WORLD CHAMPIONS....wanna join?"

its weird, because before no f/a wanted to come here because we couldnt outbid the east coast powerhouses, and our park knocks down homers. for the first time since 2003 players are going to say "hmm....WS champs out west...pitching to do it again....great fanbase....maybe ill check it out."

This.

Werth is a good player, he can hit for good average, has some pop, can steal bases, and plays good defense - but he isn't great in any area and he is gettin' up in age.

If we are going to spend money, I rather spend another 4-5 million a year on a guy who is in his prime, electric on the bases and in the outfield, and can/will hit for at least .300 in our park.

We don't need another guy who can hit 25 dingers in our park, we have 2-3 guys who can do that (provided Huff, Ross, and Burrell are back). Yes, I would love to have Pat the Bat if the situation is right, and Huff and Ross will have to be back.

I don't see why we can't pay the big bucks for a guy like Crawford. The amount of money the Giants must have made off the playoffs and World Series (which obviously the last couple years we haven't done) then factor in Renteria's 9 mil off the payroll, DeRosa's money will be off after next year Rowand's will be off in 2012.

I'm sure the contract can be worked around with that for Crawford, if we gave Crawford a 6 year deal and most of the money in the last 4 years, why not? I'm obviously ridiculously stoked that we just won it all, but why not try to become a powerhouse out West?

We have proven time and time again that we do spend money each offseason, with winning a World Series and all the revenue that has generated, plus SF now looking like an ideal place to play, why wouldn't Crawford wanna come to SF?

Dude Im not even sure the Angels could afford Crawford.

I hate to say it but chances are he will be a Yankee or Red Sox player next year.

Because it's not cold. duh!
Originally posted by valrod33:

The term calls up images of baseball fans, anxious for the start of the new season, gathering around a hot stove during the cold winter months discussing their favorite baseball teams.

Interesting.

The term is a bit outdated though, should be called "Oh, baseball is over? I was watching football".

Although I do enjoy playoff baseball.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
This Colby Rasmus for Carlos Quentin talk is pissing me off

f**k Carlos Quentin..they can keep his .240 average.

Gonna have to do better then that Chicago.
Originally posted by jrg:
This Colby Rasmus for Carlos Quentin talk is pissing me off

f**k Carlos Quentin..they can keep his .240 average.

Gonna have to do better then that Chicago.

Colby Rasmus for Jair Jurrens was talked about by a braves blogger.

I was like
Originally posted by dman:

Werth is going to command big bucks, and i just dont think hes all that great a player. hes very good, but he will want to be paid like a "great" player.

hes never hit .300, never driven in 100 runs, and his power came magically after he played half his home games in a bandbox when he came to Philly. hes going to be 32 in May next season, and he will want alot of money for someone his age in a longterm deal.

were better off getting Crawford, who has tools much more suitable for our home park and style of play. imagine what Crawford could do with triples alley....

but enough of that. everyone knows the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, or Mets will fork over MEGA cash in the offseason for him. we cant afford him. the only thing we will be able to use is "hey Carl....were the WORLD CHAMPIONS....wanna join?"

its weird, because before no f/a wanted to come here because we couldnt outbid the east coast powerhouses, and our park knocks down homers. for the first time since 2003 players are going to say "hmm....WS champs out west...pitching to do it again....great fanbase....maybe ill check it out."

This.

Werth is a good player, he can hit for good average, has some pop, can steal bases, and plays good defense - but he isn't great in any area and he is gettin' up in age.

If we are going to spend money, I rather spend another 4-5 million a year on a guy who is in his prime, electric on the bases and in the outfield, and can/will hit for at least .300 in our park.

We don't need another guy who can hit 25 dingers in our park, we have 2-3 guys who can do that (provided Huff, Ross, and Burrell are back). Yes, I would love to have Pat the Bat if the situation is right, and Huff and Ross will have to be back.

I don't see why we can't pay the big bucks for a guy like Crawford. The amount of money the Giants must have made off the playoffs and World Series (which obviously the last couple years we haven't done) then factor in Renteria's 9 mil off the payroll, DeRosa's money will be off after next year Rowand's will be off in 2012.

I'm sure the contract can be worked around with that for Crawford, if we gave Crawford a 6 year deal and most of the money in the last 4 years, why not? I'm obviously ridiculously stoked that we just won it all, but why not try to become a powerhouse out West?

We have proven time and time again that we do spend money each offseason, with winning a World Series and all the revenue that has generated, plus SF now looking like an ideal place to play, why wouldn't Crawford wanna come to SF?

I hate to say it but chances are he will be a Yankee or Red Sox player next year.

They can, and most likely will. I think that the best bet is him going to the Angels.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by dman:

This.

They can, and most likely will. I think that the best bet is him going to the Angels.

I hope you are right ...

This.

we can afford what Crawford is worth, but the Yankees and Red Sox will double it. if it comes down to it, if they want him, they will bid one step higher than our max, no question.
On ESPN insider, the phillies are considering bringing back Rowand if they Giants help on the salary. They are losing Werth and think Rowand would fit.

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
On ESPN insider, the phillies are considering bringing back Rowand if they Giants help on the salary. They are losing Werth and think Rowand would fit.

if were gonna help with the salary they should at least give us a prospect or 2
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

oh yeah, it would be a trade so they would need to give something.

That would be interesting. I'd kind of feel like a dick trading Rowand after we won the WS but it'd save us some money and free up a roster spot for a more useful player. We should see what they're willing to do. It also makes a potential playoff match up weaker.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

That would be interesting. I'd kind of feel like a dick trading Rowand after we won the WS but it'd save us some money and free up a roster spot for a more useful player. We should see what they're willing to do. It also makes a potential playoff match up weaker.

yeah, and like I said in the other thread, on ESPN insider, the Giants are rumored to be one of the people who bid on Crawford. He is expected to get 6 years, 100 million. It said we need to free up money though to do it, this frees up money for sure.

This could hinge on the phillies missing out on Magglio in FA. per them, not me.