LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 324 users in the forums

Slow down there Sabean(says SF has become a baseball town)

The things that made 9er football appealing are long gone. The intellectual approach, the creativity, the exploitation of the opponent, it's all gone. Steve Young talks about this all the time, he roots for us but identifies more with the approach of other teams. As a fan, I must admit it's really tough to watch 9er games nowadays, the losing along with the style we've adopted goes against why I fell in love with the team.
Sad to say, but it definitely has become a baseball town. I don't care because I love both of these teams equally and live and die with them both. Go Niners and Go GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
it has nothing to do with championships or recent relevance. Most San Franciscan sports fans--especially native San Franciscans--just seem more interested in baseball.

^^This

Also.. if you're not from the area, have never lived in or around the Bay Area, your opinion on this matter is irrelevant.

SF and bay area loves their football. They love baseball too, but 49ers put SF on the map as a sports city and that ain't changing if Giants or Sharks or Warriors win a title or two.

That is a matter of opinion to which I disagree. The Niners most recognizable and legendary names such as Rice, Montana, Lott, and Young didn't come along until the dynasty era of the mid to late eighties. While the Giants never had that kind of dynasty, they did bring along names such as Mays, McCovey, and Marichal to the City long before the Niner greats that we recognize today.
theres a ton of bandwagon giants fans now, i still think the 49ers dominate the attention of the bay area. its just been since 1994 since any team has won. so of course norcal is enamored with the giants right now.
it has nothing to do with championships or recent relevance. Most San Franciscan sports fans--especially native San Franciscans--just seem more interested in baseball.

^^This

Also.. if you're not from the area, have never lived in or around the Bay Area, your opinion on this matter is irrelevant.

SF and bay area loves their football. They love baseball too, but 49ers put SF on the map as a sports city and that ain't changing if Giants or Sharks or Warriors win a title or two.

That is a matter of opinion to which I disagree. The Niners most recognizable and legendary names such as Rice, Montana, Lott, and Young didn't come along until the dynasty era of the mid to late eighties. While the Giants never had that kind of dynasty, they did bring along names such as Mays, McCovey, and Marichal to the City long before the Niner greats that we recognize today.

I agree completely. The Niners hardly "put SF on the map as a sports city". Before the Niners were ever any good the Giants had the best player to ever play the game and played in the World Series in 62.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

^^This

I agree completely. The Niners hardly "put SF on the map as a sports city". Before the Niners were ever any good the Giants had the best player to ever play the game and played in the World Series in 62.

As my grandpa told me once, when Niners had the million dollar back-field...that was the first time San Francisco sports team had a fascinating story to tell the rest of the country. He also said - that was the talk in the entire city for years even when the team was mediocre. Initially when the Giants were successful, no question they were loved in SF - they were many who still considered them a NY team, but Niners were home-born.

Like I said - Niners can suck for 15 years and you won't see a blackout. Giants made the World series and stopped contending - and people only came to watch Bonds and when he left - they came to watch Lince. Hell, when people found out that Bonds will be rested - only half the ppl would turn up.

That is all you need to know.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Originally posted by jrg:

See. There u go. Using our old logo. Niners fans aren't even up to date. Lol

this is the current logo....

Oh is it really captain maroon?

^^This

I have lived all my life in Fremont, Berkeley, and SF (expect since last summer and now I live in South Lake Tahoe).

SF is obviously more excited about baseball RIGHT NOW...but we are def. a football town. That doesn't mean baseball is not important, baseball is big - but football is really big in and around SF.

I have been to plenty of Giants games 2-3 years ago when we had a hard time selling out games. The only games we sold out were Lincecum's game. I understand there are 81 home games and all, but during the week - there weren't enough fans wanting to watch the Giants. That is after what Bonds did earlier in the decade and in the 90s and in a brand new park - which is probably the best park in all of baseball.

The niners have done really bad for last 8 years, they have played like s**t getting blown out several times at home and away. We have one of the worst stadiums, in an area where no one really wants to go, AND most importantly, had seasons where there was absolutely no hope whatsoever of even having more than handful of wins. Not one blackout. We sold out games, every game was on tv, and supported this team.

As an FYI, just because the games were "sold out" and on TV doesn't mean that the stadium was filled to capacity with raving fans.

IIRC, NFL teams can are permitted to buy the tickets that they don't sell for 30cents on the dollar to prevent a TV blackout. It's for this reason why we were able to witness every game of the 2005 season even though the stadium was half empty. It's also why I will never understand the Yorks are cheap argument.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

^^This

I have lived all my life in Fremont, Berkeley, and SF (expect since last summer and now I live in South Lake Tahoe).

SF is obviously more excited about baseball RIGHT NOW...but we are def. a football town. That doesn't mean baseball is not important, baseball is big - but football is really big in and around SF.

I have been to plenty of Giants games 2-3 years ago when we had a hard time selling out games. The only games we sold out were Lincecum's game. I understand there are 81 home games and all, but during the week - there weren't enough fans wanting to watch the Giants. That is after what Bonds did earlier in the decade and in the 90s and in a brand new park - which is probably the best park in all of baseball.

The niners have done really bad for last 8 years, they have played like s**t getting blown out several times at home and away. We have one of the worst stadiums, in an area where no one really wants to go, AND most importantly, had seasons where there was absolutely no hope whatsoever of even having more than handful of wins. Not one blackout. We sold out games, every game was on tv, and supported this team.

As an FYI, just because the games were "sold out" and on TV doesn't mean that the stadium was filled to capacity with raving fans.

IIRC, NFL teams can are permitted to buy the tickets that they don't sell for 30cents on the dollar to prevent a TV blackout. It's for this reason why we were able to witness every game of the 2005 season even though the stadium was half empty. It's also why I will never understand the Yorks are cheap argument.

-9fA

It's because they don't hire quality staff... and I'm sure they pull more money off of advertising than they would saving money on the leftover tickets and taking a hit with the fanbase because of blackouts... and have that snowball into less attendance and more blackouts
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

^^This

-9fA

Teams don't buy thousands and thousands of their own tickets. If they are short by a couple thousands, they first get an extension...to see if they can sell the remaining tickets. Usually radio and tv broadcasters buy a few hundred if it's short of a sell-out...but a team can't sustain if it's buying 10,000 or in case of half empty - 32,000 tickets.

I've been to about 30 games in this decade, and I never saw anything close to half-empty stadium. There were some empty rows in the upper deck of the end-zones, but that's about it. Every single game, they announce attendance, and not once they had an attendance of less than 59k-60k in a 65k stadium.

If that's true, it's because the Giants game experience is miles ahead of the 49ers now.

I have been a 49ers fan for 20 years, but I can't stand going to games any more (when I go, don't live in the area so it's not so common any longer). Parking is $30 even 15 minutes away, getting in and out of the stadium is a nightmare, and Candlestick is a dump. You spend half the time at the game waiting in line for the bathrooms or at the concessions stands, and not in your $100 seat in the nosebleeds. Throw in ridiculous TV timeouts 4-5 times a quarter and I think people spend more time not watching football at the stadium than the other way round.

Contrast that with being able to enjoy SF all day, tailgate at a bar with your friends, and be able to get to the stadium in minutes, not the hour it takes to get in and out of Hunters Point. AT&T Park is beautiful, downtown, and new. And with the money you save on tickets, you buy food and drinks from local businesses.

If I lived in the city, I would be at Giants games all the time: it's just more fun, and that connects people with the team. The relative performance of the teams certainly helps, but I don't think it matters nearly as much as what it means to go to the games. Watching the NFL live is something I, and I'm sure tons of others, don't find enjoyable any more, many times over because of Candlestick, and that results in people no longer connecting with the team as much as they should.
[ Edited by 49toLife on Nov 1, 2010 at 7:59 AM ]
The bay area loves sports, period. In a country where hockey is an afterthought and in an area that has no cultural connection with the sport (like, say, in Canada), San Jose freakin' LOVES the Sharks. So its really a moot point. The hometeams are always well supported no matter the sport.

And obviously whenever a team is doing really good you'll see even more interest, but when the Giants and Niners are both doing pretty bad--as they were, say, a couple years ago--you still see much more interest in the Giants around town. There were several hardcore Giants bars in my old neighborhood. I can't think of one "hardcore" Niners bar in the city.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
First of all there is HUGE support for both teams. Obviously right this second it's a baseball town, how can it not be? If we can win it will be the first ever Championship for the Giants in SF and a real real nice ballpark. The 49ers on the other hand have been irrelevant for 8 years and play in maybe the worst stadium in the NFL. Yet still sell out and still have huge support.

Obviously now there is a huge bandwagon for the Giants, a real big chunk of the Giants fans you see around town today probably couldn't name more than 2 players about 2-3 months ago.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
First of all there is HUGE support for both teams. Obviously right this second it's a baseball town, how can it not be? If we can win it will be the first ever Championship for the Giants in SF and a real real nice ballpark. The 49ers on the other hand have been irrelevant for 8 years and play in maybe the worst stadium in the NFL. Yet still sell out and still have huge support.

Obviously now there is a huge bandwagon for the Giants, a real big chunk of the Giants fans you see around town today probably couldn't name more than 2 players about 2-3 months ago.

that's true, but during the year, even years where the Giants suck, you see Giants gear all over the place. I almost never saw Niners gear, except on gamedays.
Share 49ersWebzone