There are 167 users in the forums

***2024 NHL Regular Season Thread***

The West is so crazy this year. 11 teams separated by 10 pts.

Only Vancouver, Detroit are locks for playoffs (and only Colorado, Edmonton locks for missing playoffs).
Stars trade LW James Neal and D Matt Niskanen to Pittsburgh for D Alex Goligoski

Kind of shocked they got rid of Neal for so little, but they are able to dump some salary on to Pittsburgh. Maybe this will free up some money for extending Richards. Dallas is loaded at LWs and our D needed the most help.
[ Edited by eamjr10 on Feb 21, 2011 at 2:50 PM ]
Originally posted by eamjr10:
Stars trade LW James Neal and D Matt Niskanen to Pittsburgh for D Alex Goligoski

Kind of shocked they got rid of Neal for so little, but they are able to dump some salary on to Pittsburgh. Maybe this will free up some money for extending Richards. Dallas is loaded at LWs and our D needed the most help.

The Stars got bent over in this trade. If Richards walks this Summer as a UFA then they are screwed.
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk, and future 2nd round pick to the Blues.

Avs get Erik Johnson, Jay McClement, and a future first round pick.

Avs prepping for the future, cant blame them. Lack of defense has hurt them.

Not too sure how to feel about this. You guys have the best young defenseman in the game. 1st overall pick, Johnson. Don't know much about the 2 guys we got in return.

I was hating on this deal at 1st, but now I had time to sit on it, I love it...

EJ was having a s**te year. He does have a ton of potential, but the way Pietroangelo has been playing, he can slide right into that #1 spot (and really, he's been playing a lot better than EJ all year anyways).. We add Shattenkirk who can fill in those PP minutes that EJ leaves and while Shattenkirk isnt as big, he's been playing just as well defensively and has potential to improve that aspect.. He went 12th overall his draft year and was captain of US JR's and his NCAA team. Stewart is a big PF who has 9 goals in 8 games vs the Blues. Throw him on a line with Backes and you have 2 big physical guys who can bury 25/yr. Before he broke his hand in a fight, he was playing real good hockey.. On top of it, we flip 1st/2nd rd picks, but if its a top 10 pick, we keep the pick and make the flip next year. Add in the depth we have on the blueline in (Nikitin, Cole, Strachan, Oystrick) D-Man became expendable. And we managed to bring in a 25-30 goal scorer and a QB for the PP who is still developing (rare and pricey in today's NHL)
  • jrg
  • Veteran
You see what Stewart did against the Ducks?

• jrg
  • Veteran
I agree with what you said regarding Pietrangelo...he's legit.

I just don't like that we have a LOT of D who have little or no experience.

The whole team played well.. Best they have played all year easily. Hopefully dumping Brewer and EJ who was thought untouchable, wakes the guys up... Getting McDonald and Oshie back have helped big time. McDonald is one of the most underrated players in the NHL IMO.

It's a bit risky, but EJ didnt add much experience himself. This is his 3rd full year and he seems to have regressed. The younger guys (Petro, Polak, Nikitin, Cole) have pretty much been our best D-Men anyways.. Jackman is about the only Vet who has played steady hockey for us.

Only thing that pisses me off about this all is..... We should have drafted Toews #1.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jordache49:

The whole team played well.. Best they have played all year easily. Hopefully dumping Brewer and EJ who was thought untouchable, wakes the guys up... Getting McDonald and Oshie back have helped big time. McDonald is one of the most underrated players in the NHL IMO.

It's a bit risky, but EJ didnt add much experience himself. This is his 3rd full year and he seems to have regressed. The younger guys (Petro, Polak, Nikitin, Cole) have pretty much been our best D-Men anyways.. Jackman is about the only Vet who has played steady hockey for us.

Only thing that pisses me off about this all is..... We should have drafted Toews #1.

Yeah, we should've

I think EJ will be a stud in the NHL though.

I want David Perron back

Goligoslki looked awesome last sat against chicago

He is probably our 2nd best d.man now

Sad to see neal go, he is going to kill it in pit
Can anyone tell me who the player in this Red Wings poster is?
http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/detail_MH031__262__wings73_htm.html

Rangers!
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Rangers!

Suck!
  • jrg
  • Veteran
ugh blues.........was at the game tonight
[ Edited by jrg on Feb 22, 2011 at 8:47 PM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
ST. LOUIS (AP)—Erik Johnson(notes) scored the go-ahead goal against St. Louis, which traded him three days earlier, and the Colorado Avalanche broke a 10-game winless streak with a 4-3 victory against the Blues on Tuesday night.

FML
Originally posted by SoCal9er:

The Stars got bent over in this trade. If Richards walks this Summer as a UFA then they are screwed.

Not so much...

I think the Stars could have gotten a better defensmen for Neal, however the fact that we were able to clear 2.5 Million in salary cap space can not be overlooked in this deal. I believe that they will use the money to offer Richards an extension, or else I agree, this trade would really make no sense. If the Stars are able to sign Richards to a long term deal than I believe it will be worth it. Neal is a talented young player but he is very inconsistent, and thats playing on a line with 2 All Stars already in Richards and Eriksson. IMO Jamie Benn is going to be a much better player than Neal, and thats why the Stars chose to move Neal, we had to give up something in order to add to our defense.
Share 49ersWebzone