There are 148 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2010-11 Back-to-Back NBA Champion Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Point Guard is a must this offseason. And a good one with speed because it's killed us for the past couple years

This x 1000000000000000000
did kobe do his post game interview
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by MrOrange:
Lakers D has given up a gross amount of wide open shots

Yep. Same story all game and it caught up with us in the 4th. But like you said...it's been a fun 3 year run. We'll re-tool a bit this offseason, lockout willing, and be back next year.

And I'm glad Phil went after Gasol the way he did. It was about time. Enough is enough.

Its kind of funny though because w/out gasol its very likely that the lakers wouldn't have had won the last 2 years. That doesn't excuse his poor play, but.......

We needed a 2nd option. It could have been any number of guys. It just so happened to be Gasol, who went from a borderline all-star that had never won a playoff game to the wildly overrated player he's become. But stick any number of very talented players in his place and I think the Lakers still win back-to-back titles.

Yeah....I would say that his star has diminished some this season. You make a good point though, but I think (whether he plays well or not) Gasol/Bynum make it tough every single game. Size alone took out the Nuggets 2 years ago.

Yep. Same story all game and it caught up with us in the 4th. But like you said...it's been a fun 3 year run. We'll re-tool a bit this offseason, lockout willing, and be back next year.

And I'm glad Phil went after Gasol the way he did. It was about time. Enough is enough.

Its kind of funny though because w/out gasol its very likely that the lakers wouldn't have had won the last 2 years. That doesn't excuse his poor play, but.......

We needed a 2nd option. It could have been any number of guys. It just so happened to be Gasol, who went from a borderline all-star that had never won a playoff game to the wildly overrated player he's become. But stick any number of very talented players in his place and I think the Lakers still win back-to-back titles.
With the rumors of Dwight Howard coming to LA I think that after this performance in the playoffs it may be Gasol that is dangled in front of Orlando and not Bynum. The argument for him being the best they may get is that he is a multiple time all star and gives you a 20 and 10 guy. Bynum to the bench and Odom starts at the four.
To my 9er-loving laker fans (specifically, my personal homies Stoney, Corey & Pete):

It really brings me little joy to watch you guys go down now. (It's more "relief" than "joy") Your franchise's history of winning is longer than any fan can hope for, and for that, your "occassional" non-Championship parade-season is of minute consolation to me, personally. Your degree of bragging rights should be enough to trump & stiffle even the dimmest of bulbs (even here in OS). It sucks to know that you can reload free-agents faster than an over-caffinated Steinbrenner, and the enire NBA world will see just that, a(f**king)gain, asap. So take solace in these two facts:

1) That you'll nab at least 2 bigtime free agents, in the near future

and

2)

When you wake up tomorrow, you still won't be

Valrod.

Never the less...

Could you not make the argument with Kobe as well in terms of winning titles in the 08-09 and 09-10 seasons? If you take Artest/Ariza, Odom, Gasol, Bynum, and any of the following guys:

Rondo
Allen
Pierce
Deron Williams
Melo
Rose
Joe Johnson
Wade
Bron
Howard
Griffin
Nash
Dirk
Rudy Gay
Zach Randolph
CP3
Parker
Ginobili
Durant
healthy BRroy

...with Phil as coach, are they still not likely to be championship contenders?

[ Edited by andes14 on May 6, 2011 at 22:34:57 ]
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
did kobe do his post game interview

Originally posted by andes14:

Could you not make the argument with Kobe as well in terms of winning titles in the 08-09 and 09-10 seasons? If you take Artest/Ariza, Odom, Gasol, Bynum, and any of the following guys:

Rondo
Allen
Pierce
Deron Williams
Melo
Rose
Joe Johnson
Wade
Bron
Howard
Griffin
Nash
Dirk
Rudy Gay
Zach Randolph
CP3
Parker
Ginobili
Durant
healthy BRroy

No, I don't think that the Lakers are just as likely to have won the NBA championship in 09 & 10 with Rudy Gay instead of Kobe Bryant.

Rondo
Allen
Pierce
Deron Williams
Melo
Rose
Joe Johnson
Wade
Bron
Howard
Griffin
Nash
Dirk
Rudy Gay
Zach Randolph
CP3
Parker
Ginobili
Durant
healthy BRroy

No, I don't think that the Lakers are just as likely to have won the NBA championship in 09 & 10 with Rudy Gay instead of Kobe Bryant.

I just threw Gay in there because I feel like this year's Grizzlies would be championship contenders THIS year with a healthy Gay this postseason...and Odom, Bynum, Gasol, Artest/Ariza, + Phil>Randolph, Marc Gasol, Tony Allen, Conley + Hollins IMO. That was just my logic for throwing his name in there.

[ Edited by andes14 on May 6, 2011 at 23:02:21 ]

Rondo
Allen
Pierce
Deron Williams
Melo
Rose
Joe Johnson
Wade
Bron
Howard
Griffin
Nash
Dirk
Rudy Gay
Zach Randolph
CP3
Parker
Ginobili
Durant
healthy BRroy

I just threw Gay in there because I feel like this year's Grizzlies would be championship contenders THIS year with a healthy Gay this postseason...and Odom, Bynum, Gasol, Artest/Ariza, + Phil>Randolph, Marc Gasol, Tony Allen, Conley + Hollins IMO. That was just my logic for throwing his name in there.

The Grizzlies aren't a championship contender with or without Gay. They were an 8th seed level team even with him. They met a team they matched up with very well in the 1st Round, and will likely lose in the 2nd.

There are only two names on the list where you can make a valid argument...Wade & LeBron. Maybe Durant last year, but he was likely too young. Rose wasn't the player he is now in 09 & 10, and there are several names on that list that I don't even know what to say.

And remember Bynum was severely limited by injuries the past two seasons. Those weren't great rosters.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on May 6, 2011 at 23:10:46 ]
i think kobe is also to be blamed. he is getting a free pass cause soft PAW is getting all the LOVE. dude took some bad shots, got in early foul troubles, and i can not recall him driving to the hoop getting easy buckets.

Rondo
Allen
Pierce
Deron Williams
Melo
Rose
Joe Johnson
Wade
Bron
Howard
Griffin
Nash
Dirk
Rudy Gay
Zach Randolph
CP3
Parker
Ginobili
Durant
healthy BRroy

The Grizzlies aren't a championship contender with or without Gay. They were an 8th seed level team even with him. They met a team they matched up with very well in the 1st Round, and will likely lose in the 2nd.

There are only two names on the list where you can make a valid argument...Wade & LeBron. Maybe Durant last year, but he was likely too young. Rose wasn't the player he is now in 09 & 10, and there are several names on that list that I don't even know what to say.

And remember Bynum was severely limited by injuries the past two seasons. Those weren't great rosters.

I apologize, let me rephrase: I meant if you transformed what those guys are now on to those teams, therefore Rose would be valid to say (and Griffin for that matter, I'm not talking Oklahoma Blake). Which others do you disagree with? Replace Kobe with any great PG (Rondo, Williams, Rose, Nash, CP3, etc.), with that cast I think they can win it. Replace him with a big time wing, and I think that combined with the bigs can win it (i.e. Pierce, Ginobili, Wade, healthy BRoy, etc.). And then for the bigs, I guess they already have their 96 minutes more than accounted for, so for the D12, Griffin, Dirk etc. examples, I guess you'd have to throw in the caveat that you'd replace a big with a similar caliber small, i.e. swap in, say, Kevin Martin for a Lamar Odom, so would a Artest/Ariza, Martin, Gasol, Bynum, D12 or Dirk not be a championship contender? My point is that there are several teams where if you look at the best player on that team and say "OK, if they had the Artest/Ariza, Odom, Gasol, Bynum, Phil core- could that, combined with their own star abilities, contend to win a championship?

[ Edited by andes14 on May 6, 2011 at 23:44:33 ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Lakers dominate tonight, causing all doubters and haters to shush.

Please.

I hope so but I wouldnt be shocked if they lost tonight. The team just isnt hungry right now.

Sucks being right sometimes.
Originally posted by LB49ers:
With the rumors of Dwight Howard coming to LA I think that after this performance in the playoffs it may be Gasol that is dangled in front of Orlando and not Bynum. The argument for him being the best they may get is that he is a multiple time all star and gives you a 20 and 10 guy. Bynum to the bench and Odom starts at the four.

how would a team with both Bynum and Howard function? Would you have both on the floor at the same time? Or does one of them come off the bench?

-9fA
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com