There are 223 users in the forums

Scottie Pippen:The Ultimate Wingman

Originally posted by pantstickle:

This is one of the few things that I COMPLETELY disagree with dobo about, sports or otherwise.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by nicedraw94080:
Yes, Lebron has a mentality when getting to the cup that few players posess, regardless of physical dominance. Pippen did too, but Lebron does have the weight to throw around and i believe also has athleticism we have never seen before in the nba.

I give Pippen a little credit though, at times he had it in him to throw down on bigs if he had a lane.

Physical dominance can go both ways for me.Guys like Shaq, Karl Malone's, Lebron's can easily take over games and be great in their careers. On the other hand , the Kareem's, Pippen's and Steve Nash body types still find ways to get it done without having to "muscle up" or be physically dominant which i admire more.

I lean towards pippen with shooting because his set shot from the outside wasn't terrible.He was reliable in clutch situations. And how can we look past Pippen's signature bank shot from 12 -18 ft. He did that with the confidence of a tim duncan from what i remember.

Lebron's shot is streaky for the most part and takes a higher volume of shots when he was in a Cleveland uniform.This probably will change in MIA so maybe his shooting percentage will improve.

Free throws , I have way more confidence in Pippen making it than LB23 imo.

I agree with you that I admire players that have incredible fundamentals more than those with physical dominance, but I still recognize the value of physical dominance, and it seems like you do too.

Pippen couldn't get to the cup at will to nearly the same degree that LeBron can. He was damn good at it, but LeBron's on an entirely different level in this respect. There's never been a guy at his size that had his combination of ball handling and speed. That's not a knock on Pip, it's just that LeBron's unprecedented in this respect, IMO.

I'm not sure what you're remembering, but Pip was notoriously "unclutch" in big moments. What clutch Pippen moments are you thinking of?

He had a decent 12-18 foot bank shot, but his outside game as a whole was extremely inconsistent. Most of his threes were the result of kickouts from MJ, and he still shot in the low 30's from deep, whereas LeBron doesn't get many catch & shoot opportunities, and still shoots them at a higher clip. Same is true with FT shooting.

I'm a huge Pippen jocker, but I think you're overstating his abilities in the clutch and from the outside. It's weird how LeBron has gone from overrated to underrated in one offseason.

The guys shot wasn't great nor preety,but i always thought he came up with "big shots" rather than "clutch shots".

However, "clutch situations" was geared more towards his playoff performances. He raised his stats in 1991 quite noticeably when they finally beat the Pistons in the playoffs and he became that notorious defensive stopper later on in the finals against Magic.

I disagree with his bank shot being descent though, He could stop on a dime on a 3 on 1 break from either wing and hit that all day..

Outside shot overall, yes lebron probably gets the nod but I remember Pippen hitting as many as 3 or 4 threes in a few playoff games...

Lebron also can create his shot and handle the rock better than Pippen did..both some damn good passers. 3 point shot i might give to Pippen now,Lebron will eventually pass him.

If he keeps this up though, not too sure...
Lebron's 3 point range

Not underrating Lebron at ALL. He has the potential and the team now to open things up and MAYBE catch Kobe or MJ imo but remember Pipp was selected to the Top 50 players of all time, and has some very impressive accolades as you well know.
Scottie Pippen walks into a bar.

The bartender says, "Why the long face?"

Originally posted by Negrodamus:

Reggie Miller's reaction at :21 is pretty much all that needs to be said about this.

Reggie Miller's reaction at :21 is pretty much all that needs to be said about this.

The guys shot wasn't great nor preety,but i always thought he came up with "big shots" rather than "clutch shots".

However, "clutch situations" was geared more towards his playoff performances. He raised his stats in 1991 quite noticeably when they finally beat the Pistons in the playoffs and he became that notorious defensive stopper later on in the finals against Magic.

I disagree with his bank shot being descent though, He could stop on a dime on a 3 on 1 break from either wing and hit that all day..

Outside shot overall, yes lebron probably gets the nod but I remember Pippen hitting as many as 3 or 4 threes in a few playoff games...

Lebron also can create his shot and handle the rock better than Pippen did..both some damn good passers. 3 point shot i might give to Pippen now,Lebron will eventually pass him.

If he keeps this up though, not too sure...
Lebron's 3 point range

Not underrating Lebron at ALL. He has the potential and the team now to open things up and MAYBE catch Kobe or MJ imo but remember Pipp was selected to the Top 50 players of all time, and has some very impressive accolades as you well know.

Fair enough. My high opinion of Pippen has very little to do with his shooting, that was actually the worst part about his game, IMO.

We all know about his defensive abilities, but I think he was an underrated offensive player, and really allowed Jordan to maximize his abilities as a scorer. He spent the majority of his time on the court as Chicago's triangle point guard, and that allowed MJ get to his spots while operating on the wings, behind the first line of defense. Opponents had to respect Pippen's abilities as a scorer/slasher/distributor, so when you watch those old Bulls games, you'll rarely see an extra defender laying in MJ's lap before he even catches the ball. And Pippen's ability to guard the best perimeter player allowed MJ to save his energy for offense. Those two were a perfect compliment to each other.

n'gga got sh'tted on!!!!! hhahaha
Originally posted by bayarealuv:

n'gga got sh'tted on!!!!! hhahaha

jalen rose "no a good day to be Patrick chEWING" lmfao

Quote:
We all know about his defensive abilities, but I think he was an underrated offensive player, and really allowed Jordan to maximize his abilities as a scorer. He spent the majority of his time on the court as Chicago's triangle point guard, and that allowed MJ get to his spots while operating on the wings, behind the first line of defense. Opponents had to respect Pippen's abilities as a scorer/slasher/distributor, so when you watch those old Bulls games, you'll rarely see an extra defender laying in MJ's lap before he even catches the ball. And Pippen's ability to guard the best perimeter player allowed MJ to save his energy for offense. Those two were a perfect compliment to each other.

This is exactly why i shake my head when i think of Lebron & D-Wade..

[ Edited by nicedraw94080 on Aug 13, 2010 at 14:42:46 ]
Quote:

What do you mean? Do you not think it'll work?
Quote:

Quote:
What do you mean? Do you not think it'll work?

Not at all. In a way like, cant wait to see how great they will be together. It's not common to see guys of this caliber play together on the wing. Usually its a guard - bigman combo..

[ Edited by nicedraw94080 on Aug 13, 2010 at 14:55:14 ]
Share 49ersWebzone