LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

This is insane, but got me thinking (top NBA players)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/66673-greatest-ever-basketball-top-ten-basketball-players-of-all-time

no Kobe but AI makes the list? Have I missed something?

So I thought I'd make my own list, and preface it with saying that my knowldge of the Irvings and Robertsons of this world is limited, and my list may thus be more heavily weighed in the newer player direction

1. MJ.

2. Magic - Kobe's on his coattails but not there yet. His skill is simply mind boggling. With today's league being so PG oriented, I think he would be even more impactful now.

3. Kobe - he's catching Magic, and can even prove to be chasing Mike. He's my favorite player of all time, but I gotta be critical of a player who shoots 30% in the biggest game of his life. 5 rings however, are 5 rings.He's the game's greatest assasin.

4. KAJ - he gets the nod over Russel because he played during a time when the NBA wasn't comprised of 5'5" centers. Has there been a deadlier shot than his hook?

5. Russel - the games greatest winner. Defense wins championships. Russel embodies defense and championships, and is the ultimate proof to this phrase. If he did what he did in any later decade he would be the runaway #1.

6. James - am I too harsh on basketball's Payton Manning? No. Stats are through the roof, but I'm not sure how a guy with 0 rings can be in the top 3. If/when he wins rings we'll reevaluate.

7. Wilt - I can't keep dropping guy with MVPs, rings, and mind blowing numbers forever. This is the type of big time Center that would absoluty dominate the game in any decade.

8. Bird - the guy is GOOD. But what puts him on the list is his ability to hit the big shot. Those guys are always dangerous.

9. Shaq - somehow people forgot about themost dominant player since Wilt. He dominated Centers during a time of dominant centers. His complete lack of shooting ability is troubling, but the guy dominated the game lime noone else in his time.

10. Oscar Robertson - of all the players from back in the day this guy gets the nod for averaging a triple double. That's outrageous.

Knocking on the door: Duncan, West, Wade, Dr. J
Bleacher Report
Lebron shouldn't be there
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/66673-greatest-ever-basketball-top-ten-basketball-players-of-all-time

So I thought I'd make my own list, and preface it with saying that my knowldge of the Irvings and Robertsons of this world is limited, and my list may thus be more heavily weighed in the newer player direction

1. MJ.

2. Magic - Kobe's on his coattails but not there yet. His skill is simply mind boggling. With today's league being so PG oriented, I think he would be even more impactful now.

3. Kobe - he's catching Magic, and can even prove to be chasing Mike. He's my favorite player of all time, but I gotta be critical of a player who shoots 30% in the biggest game of his life. 5 rings however, are 5 rings.He's the game's greatest assasin.

4. KAJ - he gets the nod over Russel because he played during a time when the NBA wasn't comprised of 5'5" centers. Has there been a deadlier shot than his hook?

5. Russel - the games greatest winner. Defense wins championships. Russel embodies defense and championships, and is the ultimate proof to this phrase. If he did what he did in any later decade he would be the runaway #1.

6. James - am I too harsh on basketball's Payton Manning? No. Stats are through the roof, but I'm not sure how a guy with 0 rings can be in the top 3. If/when he wins rings we'll reevaluate.

7. Wilt - I can't keep dropping guy with MVPs, rings, and mind blowing numbers forever. This is the type of big time Center that would absoluty dominate the game in any decade.

8. Bird - the guy is GOOD. But what puts him on the list is his ability to hit the big shot. Those guys are always dangerous.

9. Shaq - somehow people forgot about themost dominant player since Wilt. He dominated Centers during a time of dominant centers. His complete lack of shooting ability is troubling, but the guy dominated the game lime noone else in his time.

10. Oscar Robertson - of all the players from back in the day this guy gets the nod for averaging a triple double. That's outrageous.

No Hakeem? Boo this man! Boo him!
  • bricklusnar
  • Info N/A
1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Wilt Chamberlain
4. Bill Russell
5. Kobe Bryant
6. Magic Johnson
7. Larry Bird
8. Oscar Robertson
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Shaquille O'Neal

??
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

1. MJ.

No Hakeem? Boo this man! Boo him!

I was about to put him on the list of "knocking on the door" but just got lazy. Wouldn't be in my top 10 tho
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I dont' see any way Shaq is ahead of Hakeem, seeing as how Hakeem owned him and he didn't have to come out at the end of games. Hakeem was the one who dominated centers in the time of centers. By the time Shaq was in his prime, there weren't any left (that weren't old and hobbled).
1a. Tim Duncan
1b. David Robinson
3-10. Other dudes
Originally posted by pantstickle:
1a. Tim Duncan
1b. David Robinson
3-10. Other dudes

Come on pants, don't be shy. Let others know your 3-10... sadly, I've seen this written on your notebooks in class

3. George Gervin
4. Manu Ginobili
5. Tony Parker
6. Sean Elliott
7. Avery Johnson
8. Bruce Bowen
9. Alvin Robertson
10. Chuck Person
Originally posted by pantstickle:
1a. Tim Duncan
1b. David Robinson
3-10. Other dudes

Come on pants, don't be shy. Let others know your 3-10... sadly, I've seen this written on your notebooks in class

3. George Gervin
4. Manu Ginobili
5. Tony Parker
6. Sean Elliott
7. Avery Johnson
8. Bruce Bowen
9. Alvin Robertson
10. Chuck Person

Yeah, so!

Originally posted by TX9R:
I dont' see any way Shaq is ahead of Hakeem, seeing as how Hakeem owned him and he didn't have to come out at the end of games. Hakeem was the one who dominated centers in the time of centers. By the time Shaq was in his prime, there weren't any left (that weren't old and hobbled).

I've never understood why people always say that Olajuwon dominated Shaq in that series. They pretty much played to a draw.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

I've never understood why people always say that Olajuwon dominated Shaq in that series. They pretty much played to a draw.

But the Magic got swept, so the perception will always be that Hakeem destroyed him.

But the Magic got swept, so the perception will always be that Hakeem destroyed him.

Real reason: Robert Horry.

It's also that there are certain guys that are remembered more fondly than others, and Olajuwon's one of those guys. Just like Duncan, no one has a bad thing to say about the guy, and that translates into how he's remembered as a player.

Olajuwon's my favorite non-Laker of all time, and I can't stand Shaq, but Shaq's gotta be the only person to put up 28ppg, 12.5rpg, 6.3assts, & 2.5blks on 54% from the field and still manage to get "owned". You know I'm not a big stats guy, but Shaq was a monster in that series just like Olajuwon was.

It's also that there are certain guys that are remembered more fondly than others, and Olajuwon's one of those guys. Just like Duncan, no one has a bad thing to say about the guy, and that translates into how he's remembered as a player.

Olajuwon's my favorite non-Laker of all time, and I can't stand Shaq, but Shaq's gotta be the only person to put up 28ppg, 12.5rpg, 6.3assts, & 2.5blks on 54% from the field and still manage to get "owned". You know I'm not a big stats guy, but Shaq was a monster in that series just like Olajuwon was.

Though it could be argued Hakeem had the slightly better numbers (Shaq turned the ball over a lot; 5.25 per), it wasn't by such a margin that he had the clear advantage over Shaq - the Rockets as a team just had more experience on their side.
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Jul 16, 2010 at 1:53 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone