49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 661 users in the forums

2011 - 2012 Golden State Warriors Thread.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Jigga:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Maybe you should give the new ownership group a chance.

At least it's not a CERTAINTY that they were gonna suck like Cohan did.

It's all about familiarity. We all knew that Ellison has been wanting a sports franchise for a while now. It was no secret. So we're all extremely disappointed that a man of his reputation isn't calling the shots. We have no idea of who the new owner is.

Well said. Ellison is known as a guy who will stop at nothing (and spend whatever) to win (when he wants to win), whereas the new owners are an unknown entity. Sure, they might be an improvement over Cohan (anyone would be), but they don't come with the pop, sizzle and incredibly deep pockets that a guy like Ellison does.

I don't understand why Ellison has that reputation. Lacob's been a minority owner of the Celtics since 2006, and Peter Guber has a pretty hefty pocket book. I think they deserve a chance before you guys bury them.

Chris Cohan just sold the team. This should be a happy day for you guys.

I agree. We have to give this new ownership a chance. As far as deep pockets go I dont think that is as critical in a league with a salary cap as it would be in a sport like baseball. I think Cohan has actually been willing to spend money on the team.

What is more important is how strong of a management team the owners will put in place. I wanted Ellison because he is a winner more than I did because of his great wealth. Cohan was clueless in bringing in great basketball people who could turn the franchise around. Lets hope the new group isnt.

I think that's a good point about what really matters in an owner. Cohan was a lot of things, but he wasn't cheap. He gave out some large contracts in his time...to some players that didn't deserve them. It was more of an issue of not having those basketball people that you alluded to as opposed to him not spending money.

If nothing else, Lacob has been part of an NBA organization (Boston) that's done pretty well for themselves in the last 3 years. Even if he wasn't the reason for it, he at least got to see what a well run NBA team looks like.
wow...this is absolutely stunning...i was busy all morning and the first thing i did was open this thread...

So we have Guber?...the dude i was making fun of yesterday?...oh man

That s**t aside, anything is better then Cohan and Rowell. These guys want to win and they were minority owners with the Celtics so they know how important a strong accountable front office is.

Its not the most popular and flashiest ownership but these guys come from a basketball background so i have some confidence in that.

They wont move the team by the way. The warriors are a huge draw in the 4th largest market in the US. Everyone in the NBA knows how much this fan base is worth and i'm sure Stern is telling this new ownership to build a winner ASAP.

Only thing we can do is hope that they go to work immediately and start making changes from the top to bottom...JUST HAVE A DIRECTION...PLEASE
Just heard about the sale, NO MORE COHAN!! Dissapointed that it,s not Ellison but I heard one of the new owners used to be a minority owner of the Celtics. At least we still got an owner who knows how a winner operates. I think this spells the end for Nelly and Nellyball, finally. It's a new day!
"I am incredibly excited to have the opportunity to be the next steward of this storied NBA franchise. This is my dream come true," said Lacob, in a statement. "Peter and I intend to do what we do best — innovating and building. It is our passion to return the Warriors to greatness and buildnothing short of a championship organization that will make all of us in the Bay Area proud."

Please...just be about yo s**t
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Jigga:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Maybe you should give the new ownership group a chance.

At least it's not a CERTAINTY that they were gonna suck like Cohan did.

It's all about familiarity. We all knew that Ellison has been wanting a sports franchise for a while now. It was no secret. So we're all extremely disappointed that a man of his reputation isn't calling the shots. We have no idea of who the new owner is.

Well said. Ellison is known as a guy who will stop at nothing (and spend whatever) to win (when he wants to win), whereas the new owners are an unknown entity. Sure, they might be an improvement over Cohan (anyone would be), but they don't come with the pop, sizzle and incredibly deep pockets that a guy like Ellison does.

I don't understand why Ellison has that reputation. Lacob's been a minority owner of the Celtics since 2006, and Peter Guber has a pretty hefty pocket book. I think they deserve a chance before you guys bury them.

Chris Cohan just sold the team. This should be a happy day for you guys.

I agree. We have to give this new ownership a chance. As far as deep pockets go I dont think that is as critical in a league with a salary cap as it would be in a sport like baseball. I think Cohan has actually been willing to spend money on the team.

What is more important is how strong of a management team the owners will put in place. I wanted Ellison because he is a winner more than I did because of his great wealth. Cohan was clueless in bringing in great basketball people who could turn the franchise around. Lets hope the new group isnt.

I think that's a good point about what really matters in an owner. Cohan was a lot of things, but he wasn't cheap. He gave out some large contracts in his time...to some players that didn't deserve them. It was more of an issue of not having those basketball people that you alluded to as opposed to him not spending money.

If nothing else, Lacob has been part of an NBA organization (Boston) that's done pretty well for themselves in the last 3 years. Even if he wasn't the reason for it, he at least got to see what a well run NBA team looks like.

Your logic is solid...it's more a matter of dashed expectations. Warriors fans are always willing to give their team the benefit of the doubt and support the team regardless of what happens. But with Ellison, there was the expectation that he would do whatever (hire the best GM/coach/scouts, sign the best FAs) to bring a winner to the bay area.

Not saying this new ownership team won't or can't, but as a fan, we knew Ellison would absolutely do this given his track record.

Again, more dashed hopes than anything, which is the story of the W's.
New ownership bio's

After reading this article I feel a bit better.

"Most importantly for Warrior’s fans, Lacob has supported his local franchise the last decade by being a season ticket holder."
WTF COHANNNNN!!?!??!?!?!?!?

per Kawakami twitter:

"Whoa. Ellison statement: "Although I was the highest bidder, Chris Cohan decided to sell to someone else.""

THIS CANT BE TRUE.......WHAAAAA?!?!?
Originally posted by NorCaL9er:
"I am incredibly excited to have the opportunity to be the next steward of this storied NBA franchise. This is my dream come true," said Lacob, in a statement. "Peter and I intend to do what we do best — innovating and building. It is our passion to return the Warriors to greatness and buildnothing short of a championship organization that will make all of us in the Bay Area proud."

Please...just be about yo s**t

This makes me feel a little better.
Originally posted by NorCaL9er:
WTF COHANNNNN!!?!??!?!?!?!?

per Kawakami twitter:

"Whoa. Ellison statement: "Although I was the highest bidder, Chris Cohan decided to sell to someone else.""

THIS CANT BE TRUE.......WHAAAAA?!?!?

If true, this would be the ultimate fcuk you to W's fans by Cohan.
Originally posted by NorCaL9er:
WTF COHANNNNN!!?!??!?!?!?!?

per Kawakami twitter:

"Whoa. Ellison statement: "Although I was the highest bidder, Chris Cohan decided to sell to someone else.""

THIS CANT BE TRUE.......WHAAAAA?!?!?

F YOU COHAN!
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by NorCaL9er:
WTF COHANNNNN!!?!??!?!?!?!?

per Kawakami twitter:

"Whoa. Ellison statement: "Although I was the highest bidder, Chris Cohan decided to sell to someone else.""

THIS CANT BE TRUE.......WHAAAAA?!?!?

If true, this would be the ultimate fcuk you to W's fans by Cohan.

it is

REDWOOD SHORES, CA--(Marketwire - July 15, 2010) -

"Although I was the highest bidder, Chris Cohan decided to sell to someone else. In my experience this is a bit unusual. Nonetheless, I wish the Warriors and their fans nothing but success under their new ownership," said Larry Ellison.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Larry-Ellison-Confirms-He-Is-Not-Buying-Golden-State-Warriors-1291044.htm
Originally posted by NorCaL9er:
WTF COHANNNNN!!?!??!?!?!?!?

per Kawakami twitter:

"Whoa. Ellison statement: "Although I was the highest bidder, Chris Cohan decided to sell to someone else.""

THIS CANT BE TRUE.......WHAAAAA?!?!?

Wow.............

This doesn't seem reasonable, given Cohan's desire for max $$$$. If true, I wonder what the real reason was.......
COOOOOOOO-HAAAAAAAAANNNN!
Erik Spoelstra a possible new coach?

This is all speculation from Matt Steinmetz. Jon Spoelstra, Erik's father, is one of the higher-ups in the Mandalay Group. Pat Riley may be interested in coaching again. I wouldn't mind Spoelstra as our coach.
[ Edited by SF69ers on Jul 15, 2010 at 1:32 PM ]
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone