LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 438 users in the forums

Would you make this deal if you were the Giants GM?

Would you make this deal if you were the Giants GM?

Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Moot point since Washington would never make that deal. Their guys have more upside than our guys.

Of course it is Ghost. You at least understand the point. The Washington trio would absolutley give any team more chance to win the WS. In 2010 of course the Giants players are better For the decade and trying to win a WS.. no way.

Makes me laugh how worked up Giants fans can get worked up though. No one is a bigger fan than me or has seen more games . I just think its an interesting conversation that would of course never happen.

who the f**k crowned you the ultimate fan?

I didnt say I was Bunny Boy. I said that no one was a bigger fan or has seen more games among the peope in here. I know that you havent. That doesnt make me a bigger fan and I didnt say that. Try getting an understanding of the English language.

you keep up the insults and see how far that gets you

do you have any better ones? don't mind my broken english

You started it by your stupid remark about the thread. Just go somewhere else if you dont like the thead.

you take your thread somewhere else if you don't like my .02

LOL I didnt start this thread for you little bunny. It was a poll to see what people think although I knew the Giants fans for the most part would be partial to the crew.

I didnt say I didnt want your 2 cents. Notice how others give their opinions and dont attack the person just because they started a thread. If you had just said.. no way ... that would be a bad deal I would respect that.

the mlb draft thread
the mlb discussion thread
the strasburg/nolan ryan thread
the giants thread
the thread about what pitcher you'd take for the next decade

you have stated the same s**t all over those threads in one way or another, in some of them only about strasburg, others about harper and others about zim. Easily this could be discussed in the MLB discussion thread, that's what it's there for.

You're obviously obsessed with potential and "power pitching" and "power hitting" and yada yada that's great. Just stop spamming the message all over most baseball threads, and stop creating more threads talking about the same thing, that's all.

What I think about some hypothetical situation you put out there? Well, does it matter? It's a TEAM sport, give some idiot like Sabean all 3 of the players you wish you had over tim, pablo, and buster and we'd probably STILL not win s**t because of other dumbs**t moves he makes.

I dont need you to tell me when and where I can post. I didnt see mod next to your name now did I? I made a damn poll.. get over it. You cant make a poll in the MLB discussion thread. Now, I am done with this. If you have a problem send me a PM and we can discuss it there without ruining the orginial intention of this thread.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Moot point since Washington would never make that deal. Their guys have more upside than our guys.

Of course it is Ghost. You at least understand the point. The Washington trio would absolutley give any team more chance to win the WS. In 2010 of course the Giants players are better For the decade and trying to win a WS.. no way.

Makes me laugh how worked up Giants fans can get worked up though. No one is a bigger fan than me or has seen more games . I just think its an interesting conversation that would of course never happen.

How far back are we talking? Just wondering.
pablo for zimmerman ill do without a doubt
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
pablo for zimmerman ill do without a doubt

I agree.

Strasburg for a 2 Time CY young winner? You'd be nuts to do that trade.
To me its real close but i'd keep the core we got. Lincecum is the best pitcher in baseball along with Halladay. Panda is a good player also but i'd take zimmerman and Posey is showing what he can do already in the majors and its real good. He has the tools to be one of the best and well rounded catchers in the game. Harper right now is an unknown as anything can happen between now and the time he makes it to the bigs. I'd take Posey over harper now and in the long run.
What if Harper can't hit in the minors whereas Posey has already proven he can hit in all areas?

What if Harper is a Shawn abner?
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
What if Harper can't hit in the minors whereas Posey has already proven he can hit in all areas?

What if Harper is a Shawn abner?

You are correct. That could happen. I would risk it given the upside but I understand why others wouldnt.

Two deals that Sabean made that kind of illustrate the point about looking at potential and projecting how great a player can be.

1) Sabeans best deal ever where he traded a proven big league hitter who was a fan favorite for an unproven second baseman that had big time potential. Jeff Kent for Matt Williams worked out pretty well I'd say.

2) Sabeans worst deal ever was trading a kids with big time upside potential for a proven hitter who was good but not great. He didnt project how the young guys would prove out in the next few years. Giving up Joe Nathan and Francisco Liriaino for AJ Pierzinski was just awful.

My point I guess is that sometimes you have to look at the potential of players and how well they project for the next decade. Sabean did it with the Kent deal and the Twins GM did it in the Nathan deal.
And again, Williams was on the downside of his career, was 30 years old and only played 3 more seasons full time.

Joe Nathan was coming off Tommy john an liriano always had the potential but never really put it all together. And boof never stuck around anywhere so in hind sight the trade was awful but not AS BAD as we make it out to be. If it wasn't for a one year player it would Just be a s**tty trade for a slightly above average player.

Ok it was terrible.

But yeah a stud catcher is much harder to draft/develop than an OF. Also hard to bring up a two time CY young
the only deal that make sense is Zimmerman for Sandoval

Lincecum for Strasberg is laughable

I dont know much about posey so i have no comment on that part of the trade

If im washington and you propose that deal to me i trade you Strasberg for Lincecum then laugh in your face afterward
Originally posted by valrod33:

If im washington and you propose that deal to me i trade you Strasberg for Lincecum then laugh in your face afterward

You would I'm sure but reality Val is that the Nats would never make the deal.

Neither would the Giants

A year from now if Strasburg is pitching like this then maybe i would consider it, but you cant think that trading Lincecum for Strasburg is a good deal right now.

Lincecum is only what 24-25 years old, you are set with him for the next 10 years there is no reason to trade him he is not old at all.

A year from now if Strasburg is pitching like this then maybe i would consider it, but you cant think that trading Lincecum for Strasburg is a good deal right now.

Lincecum is only what 24-25 years old, you are set with him for the next 10 years there is no reason to trade him he is not old at all.

The deal set was really a 3 for 3. I like Zimmerman MUCH more than Panda and like Harpers upside more than Posey's for the long run. I still like Posey a lot by the way.
My point was that the trio of Strasburg, Harper, and Zimmerman were more likely if they all hit their potential to lead you to the WS and be a great team. I really believe that but obviously in the minority in here.

The deal set was really a 3 for 3. I like Zimmerman MUCH more than Panda and like Harpers upside more than Posey's for the long run. I still like Posey a lot by the way.
My point was that the trio of Strasburg, Harper, and Zimmerman were more likely if they all hit their potential to lead you to the WS and be a great team. I really believe that but obviously in the minority in here.

you would be giving up a hell of alot for hoping that the dudes you just traded for hit their potential

you would be giving up a hell of alot for hoping that the dudes you just traded for hit their potential

and that's why no one can really agree with John..it's not that we're Giants homers or whatever

its just that Strasburg and Harper haven't proved ANYTHING in the MLB..if it backfires you're ass is gone..its easy to say because you're not a GM..the risk is just too much.
Share 49ersWebzone