LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 170 users in the forums

Is Stephen Strasburg really the next Nolan Ryan?

Is Stephen Strasburg really the next Nolan Ryan?

Originally posted by dobophile:
everyone needs to chill the eff out

kerry wood was supposed to be the next great thing when he threw 20 strikeouts in his fifth start as a rookie

ell-oh-ell

This.

The kid has awesome stuff, no doubt about that. What he did last night was awesome but its just one start lets see him pitch more in the majors before we start crowning him
He has the ability, the stuff, and the makeup to be the dominant pitcher for the next decade. Will he? I would say yes unless injuries bring him down like they did Mark Prior and Kerry Wood. That is always a possibility.

He will have bad games like any other pitcher that has ever played the game. My guess is that there will be FAR more dominating games like yesterday than there will be games where he gets knocked out.
oops

[ Edited by IdentityCrisis on Jun 9, 2010 at 09:46:29 ]
1st time in 29 years of my life that we here in DC had a reason to be excited about baseball. It was something different but it was great. Instead of hearing bout a 320lbs De that won't show up to OTA's, and a gun toting point guard. They gotta build around this guy and get some more quality starters. Right now none of there starters besides Levan can get pas 6 innings. good start for him
Funny how ESPN has highlight video of all games except for his...

Gotta go to MLB.com for that one.
Originally posted by Joecool:

?

I've seen it like 20 times already lol
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Good 1st game but yeah it was against the pathetic Pirates, let not crown him yet
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

?

I'm probably looking in the wrong spot. I looked under scores and every game has a highlight vid icon except for this one.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

?

I'm probably looking in the wrong spot. I looked under scores and every game has a highlight vid icon except for this one.

Go to the MLB section?
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Good 1st game but yeah it was against the pathetic Pirates, let not crown him yet

Well... this team did score 3 runs against Timmy and only stuck out 6 times compared to 14 yesterday. Obviously they arent a great team but that should not take anything away from his effort.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Well... this team did score 3 runs against Timmy and only stuck out 6 times compared to 14 yesterday. Obviously they arent a great team but that should not take anything away from his effort.

Timmy still struggling though, Sanchez struck em out 11 times.

Pirates stink.

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Jun 9, 2010 at 11:11:07 ]

Pirates stink.

Sanchez lead all of baseball last year in K's per 9 innings after the AS break. He can K people when he is on. We all know that the Pirates arent great. It just seems like some people in here are looking for ways to diminish what this kid did last night. I dont care who you are pitching against. When you face a MLB team in your first start and K 14 guys and walk NO ONE its pretty damn impressive.

Pirates stink.

Sanchez lead all of baseball last year in K's per 9 innings after the AS break. He can K people when he is on. We all know that the Pirates arent great. It just seems like some people in here are looking for ways to diminish what this kid did last night. I dont care who you are pitching against. When you face a MLB team in your first start and K 14 guys and walk NO ONE its pretty damn impressive.

I'm not taking away what he did but I'm not gonna crown him being the next top pitcher of all time lol

Pirates stink.

But the only thing with the pirates is that outside of mccutchen and maybe lastings millege the pirates are pretty much a double A/maybe AAA team.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Hey...Ron saw Pud Galvin play. Did you?

Saw him pitch? He taught him how to pitch!
Share 49ersWebzone