There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

San Antonio Spurs 2010 Offseason thread

Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Unless Blair begins to score 15+ points, I think he is just an awesome bench player.

What are the odds Duncan takes a paycut to bring in a legit FA...I would take Boozer.

Boozer . . .

Duncan already took less when he opted out 3 years ago and signed a new contract. He left $10-11 million on the table, IIRC. The idea was -- or at least it appeared to be -- to make a splash in the 2010 FA market. That hope was dashed with the RJ trade.

So, no, Duncan won't take less.

The Spurs can sign Splitter with the MLE . . . if he's interested . . . but other than that, the Spurs seemed destined to rely on the further development of Hill and Blair. McDyess and RJ might be tradable assets, but I think they'll get another look. If RJ continues to be a failure next season, he'll probably be traded at the deadline.

Aside from the Splitter stuff, I doubt it's going to be a very interesting offseason.

Last I read, Real Madrid was willing to offer Splitter 10 million Euros, where we can only offer the MLE. Doesn't seem too promising.

Linkage
Will there even be a euro in a couple years? I don't know how confident I would be in a euro contract coming from a PIGS country.

A MLE deal with a player option in year 4 could make Splitter an unrestricted FA at age 29. That would seem to be his best option if he ever wants to make big money in the NBA.
Will there even be a euro in a couple years? I don't know how confident I would be in a euro contract coming from a PIGS country.

A MLE deal with a player option in year 4 could make Splitter an unrestricted FA at age 29. That would seem to be his best option if he ever wants to make big money in the NBA.

Taking an NBA deal definitely gives him more potential for future earnings. Hope he takes that into account (and doesn't suck).
What's going on with this team? I haven't heard their name involved in anything.
Please don't trade Parker or Hill.

Screw you, Chad Ford, for making me worry.
So the Spurs drafted an NBA-ready SG at #20 (replacement for Mason/Bogans) and a raw 19 year old project PF/C at #49. In other words, the Spurs addressed an immediate need at SG, but did not address an immediate need at PF/C.

So it sounds to me like the Spurs are VERY confident of Splitter signing on July 1.
So the Spurs drafted an NBA-ready SG at #20 (replacement for Mason/Bogans) and a raw 19 year old project PF/C at #49. In other words, the Spurs addressed an immediate need at SG, but did not address an immediate need at PF/C.

So it sounds to me like the Spurs are VERY confident of Splitter signing on July 1.

That's exactly what I thought after the first pick.

That's exactly what I thought after the first pick.

Memo to the rest of the league: Splitter's coming.

ANNOUNCEMENT

After a summit in my mom's basement this weekend (she lives with ME), crzy and I have decided to join forces with dobophile and become Spurs fans next year, in an effort to create the bestest thread in Other Sports. We feel as though the TM, Mr. Tickle, has done a masterful job of clearing thread space by unloading JoeCool, and hope to create a trio that can control this forum for years to come. Sure, crzy & I are both pretty post-dominant, but we feel as though there's too much talent here to fail. We may not have any supporting cast at all right now, but we feel as though other posters will be willing to have less input just to have the opportunity to post alongside us in the future.

I pity the rest of you.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
ANNOUNCEMENT

After a summit in my mom's basement this weekend (she lives with ME), crzy and I have decided to join forces with dobophile and become Spurs fans next year, in an effort to create the bestest thread in Other Sports. We feel as though the TM, Mr. Tickle, has done a masterful job of clearing thread space by unloading JoeCool, and hope to create a trio that can control this forum for years to come. Sure, crzy & I are both pretty post-dominant, but we feel as though there's too much talent here to fail. We may not have any supporting cast at all right now, but we feel as though other posters will be willing to have less input just to have the opportunity to post alongside us in the future.

I pity the rest of you.

I'm finally getting the supporting cast I need.
Just like in the NBA, your new lineup won't be enough to surpass the Lakers.
Originally posted by Jigga:
What's the Spurs' cap situation lookin like?
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

Damn, we need to rethink RJ. He will be our second highest paid player next year.

I actually thought RJ had a player option for 2010-2011, and that there was a remote chance he would opt-out to get a longer deal elsewhere (at a much reduced rate, obviously). But I'm no salary cap guy.

He won't get a similar contract anywhere else and in the spurs case: Once players come to the Spurs, they don't want to go anywhere else.

I think he even acknowledged that the amount would be less. But a 4 year, $30 contract elsewhere would arguably be preferable to a 1 year, $15 million contract . . . since he could be injured or something.

edit: here's what he said

“That’s a situation I think every player will look at at the end of the season,” said Jefferson, making $14.2 million this season and due to earn $15 million in next season’s final year of his deal if he doesn’t opt out. “I probably wouldn’t make 15 (million dollars) some place, but you could somehow recoup some of that over a multi-year deal and get some guaranteed money for the next few years.

“So you figure it out. If you’re able to get four years and 40 (million dollars by opting out) from someone, it’s like, ‘OK, I did lose out on 15 (million dollars). But I’m going to get basically a $25 million extension.’ Those are things that you think of at the end of the season.”

LOL, he thinks he could get a 4 year, $40 million deal

I just don't get it.

[ Edited by dobophile on Jun 30, 2010 at 17:18:21 ]

Fascinating creatures. We may never understand what makes them tick.

Fascinating creatures. We may never understand what makes them tick.

Yes, they seem to be quite curious.

*Your link didn't work, so I teammated that s**t!