Not a member? Register Now!

San Antonio Spurs 2010 Offseason thread

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Sub-sub-superstar?

Couldn't you just call them, oh I don't know, solid players?

On a sub-sub team, does it matter?

Man, I wish we had a one man "team" like the Lakers.

Even in this thread about your own teams offseason, you have to talk about the Lakers! Infatuated much?!?

Seriously? We were talking about the "next" step for the Spurs. I have no problem with your comment and you are welcome here to post that kind of stuff all you want but don't dish it out if you can't handle it in return.

LMAO at your new response to try and rile me, despite it not making any sense at all. Hey, much like your constant ramblings!

Originally posted by dobophile:
The good thing about Splitter is that he's no longer on the rookie scale. He was drafted in 2007, and the Spurs' first crack at him was the 2008 offseason. This is their second crack at him. They can offer him the MLE, AFAIK.

It has seemed like forever since the Spurs started going after him, though.

If Splitter comes over, that would be incredible. Not because he's going to be a superstar or anything. It just would be nice to have a younger guy in there, a 7 footer who can play high to Duncan's low, and capably defend the pick-n-roll. Ian Mahinmi ain't cutting it.

I agree that the window is likely over, at least with Duncan as the superstar. The Spurs are likely entering a period where they have no superstar, but three sub-superstars (Duncan, Ginobili, Parker) and three sub-sub-superstars (Hill, Blair, Splitter ). By sub-superstar, I mean All-Star caliber players. By sub-sub-superstar, I mean a notch below that.

Dopo, don't worry...I wouldn't mind having a team full of sub-sub-superstars. It got Boston to the Finals.
dobophile, do you think the Spurs front office has crossed the line separating personal and business? What I mean is that it seems as though they will stick with the Big Three to a fault when they can begin the process into a new direction/era. Even with a player who is not reaching his end, Tony Parker is replaceable given the right deal in return and given Hill improves his game into his 3rd year.

For the way Tim Duncan plays, it almost seems as though he can play for another 5 or 6 years as a 2nd or 3rd option pending his body limitations in terms of injuries. An old Tim Duncan is still a top 10-15 Big Man in the league.

As for Manu, only injuries can stop this guy as it seems like his play hasn't slowed down very much.
For better or worse, the Spurs have valued keeping productive players in San Antonio for as much of their careers as possible. David Robinson spent his whole career there. So far, the Big Three have, too. George Gervin spent a single season in Chicago before retiring. Sean Elliott was traded to Detroit for a season, but then came back and finished his career in San Antonio.

It's all part of the "culture" of the organization. It indicates to other players in the league, hey, if you come to San Antonio and have the right attitude and play hard for Pop, you'll get taken care of. And it's not just the stars; this message even extends to role players around the league. Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen, Brent Barry, and Michael Finley were all treated well and paid above-market near the end of their Spurs tenures, most probably in appreciation for their past contributions.

As much as I hate to admit it, Tim Duncan is not worth his contract. Parker and Ginobili are, though, and they have both been underpaid for several seasons. I suppose it should not have come as a surprise that Manu got his extension.

But the upside of overpaying Duncan and (presumably) overpaying Parker and Ginobili in the future is that it shows the team's commitment to something that's been built and established. Ideally, that will make it easier in the future to get the right kinds of players who are willing to sacrifice a little, since the promise of "being taken care of" becomes more credible on the team's part. That's how the thinking goes, I guess.
This is the problem: the Spurs were able to do this effectively when Tim was in his prime and Manu and Tony were underpaid. Now that Tim is old and overpaid and Manu is an injury liability, the Spurs will have a harder time following this strategy. It could lead to some bad years in the short-to-medium term.

Bad years is relative, though.
This is the problem: the Spurs were able to do this effectively when Tim was in his prime and Manu and Tony were underpaid. Now that Tim is old and overpaid and Manu is an injury liability, the Spurs will have a harder time following this strategy. It could lead to some bad years in the short-to-medium term.

Bad years is relative, though.

Lucky we do have a guy like Tim. It wouldn't surprise me if he took a pay cut.

It's going to be interesting to see how they handle the Parker/Hill situation. I think Hill can be a productive 2 guard but then we are looking at a small lineup. It can be offset by a big front court but a big front court isn't always easy to acquire.

Hill could turn into a valuable sharpshooter.
What's the Spurs' cap situation lookin like?
Originally posted by Jigga:
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Damn, we need to rethink RJ. He will be our second highest paid player next year.

Damn, we need to rethink RJ. He will be our second highest paid player next year.

I actually thought RJ had a player option for 2010-2011, and that there was a remote chance he would opt-out to get a longer deal elsewhere (at a much reduced rate, obviously). But I'm no salary cap guy.

I actually thought RJ had a player option for 2010-2011, and that there was a remote chance he would opt-out to get a longer deal elsewhere (at a much reduced rate, obviously). But I'm no salary cap guy.

He won't get a similar contract anywhere else and in the spurs case: Once players come to the Spurs, they don't want to go anywhere else.

He won't get a similar contract anywhere else and in the spurs case: Once players come to the Spurs, they don't want to go anywhere else.

I think he even acknowledged that the amount would be less. But a 4 year, $30 contract elsewhere would arguably be preferable to a 1 year, $15 million contract . . . since he could be injured or something.

edit: here's what he said

“That’s a situation I think every player will look at at the end of the season,” said Jefferson, making $14.2 million this season and due to earn $15 million in next season’s final year of his deal if he doesn’t opt out. “I probably wouldn’t make 15 (million dollars) some place, but you could somehow recoup some of that over a multi-year deal and get some guaranteed money for the next few years.

“So you figure it out. If you’re able to get four years and 40 (million dollars by opting out) from someone, it’s like, ‘OK, I did lose out on 15 (million dollars). But I’m going to get basically a $25 million extension.’ Those are things that you think of at the end of the season.”

LOL, he thinks he could get a 4 year, $40 million deal
[ Edited by dobophile on Jun 3, 2010 at 12:52 PM ]
Unless Blair begins to score 15+ points, I think he is just an awesome bench player.

What are the odds Duncan takes a paycut to bring in a legit FA...I would take Boozer.
Unless Blair begins to score 15+ points, I think he is just an awesome bench player.

What are the odds Duncan takes a paycut to bring in a legit FA...I would take Boozer.

Boozer . . .

Duncan already took less when he opted out 3 years ago and signed a new contract. He left $10-11 million on the table, IIRC. The idea was -- or at least it appeared to be -- to make a splash in the 2010 FA market. That hope was dashed with the RJ trade.

So, no, Duncan won't take less.

The Spurs can sign Splitter with the MLE . . . if he's interested . . . but other than that, the Spurs seemed destined to rely on the further development of Hill and Blair. McDyess and RJ might be tradable assets, but I think they'll get another look. If RJ continues to be a failure next season, he'll probably be traded at the deadline.

Aside from the Splitter stuff, I doubt it's going to be a very interesting offseason.

Boozer . . .

Duncan already took less when he opted out 3 years ago and signed a new contract. He left $10-11 million on the table, IIRC. The idea was -- or at least it appeared to be -- to make a splash in the 2010 FA market. That hope was dashed with the RJ trade.

So, no, Duncan won't take less.

The Spurs can sign Splitter with the MLE . . . if he's interested . . . but other than that, the Spurs seemed destined to rely on the further development of Hill and Blair. McDyess and RJ might be tradable assets, but I think they'll get another look. If RJ continues to be a failure next season, he'll probably be traded at the deadline.

Aside from the Splitter stuff, I doubt it's going to be a very interesting offseason.

Last I read, Real Madrid was willing to offer Splitter 10 million Euros, where we can only offer the MLE. Doesn't seem too promising.