There are 205 users in the forums

Official 2010 Oakland A's Thread

For those who care about these preseason projections, here's another one...

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/oracle/discussion/2010_zips_projections_oakland_as/
Boxer, son of current CA senator B.Boxer, who runs that pro Oakland site online was on Chron WED night and something interesting he said about the support a Oakland park would get if one were built.

Basically he said he had support of over 100 companies who'd support the A's move into a new downtown/waterfront park.

Now who knows if that's true, considering the A's revenue from corporate sponsors is one of the lowest in the bigs, gotta wonder where all those corporations are with the A's currently.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/columns/ci_14413828

very good article. When Poole doesn't play the race card I actually enjoy his journalism for the most part.
Yep, for much all the crap Oakland gets, they've tried but have been rebuffed by the A's ownership after Haas sold the team.

You need two sides to tangle and tangle seriously and the A's owners have NEVER taken anything serious about an Oakland park even if the city did. I know there are some who spew that oh the city has never tried to do anything to get a deal done with the A's org, but they have.

I've listed reasons before. From the May 02 City Council meeting when the city spent 10K to have the studies that had HOK present their top sites within the east bay with as many as 3 or 4 sites in the downtown/uptown/waterfront of Oakland, no A's official showed up when close to 300 A's fans attended the event yet Schott showed up months later a SC city meeting when their process was STEPS behind where the city of Oakland offered during that meeting in mid 02.

Former mayor Brown had a helicopter tour offered to the Schott/Hoffman group after that meeting where he offered the A's ownership a tour of potential sites, nobody from the A's showed up.

We all know the fiasco of Picicinni that Poole mentioned in that article in the late 90s...that was the one ownership group that was diverse and Oakland oriented with them willing to keep the A's in Oakland and going back to the days of Haas with Dolich as basically team president yet MLB basically killed that deal with no legit reason why.

Almost 5 years ago when the city of Oakland officials and business man offered to work with Wolff to find sites in Oakland yet Wolff rejected their offer and came up with a plan at "Coliseum North" where it had VERY LITTLE chance of working out due to them having to replace 100+ small businesses in the areas just north of the coliseum.

Maybe answered my own question on why not only the A's fans but those 100+ corporations that Boxer mentioned would support the A's in a new park haven't been supporting the A's org, when you got an ownership and possibly a commish that basically gives you the middle figure for much of the past decade, why spend your hard earned money on them.
Jus got my conformation for my tickets to all 3 cubs A's games in Chicago this year
I agree completely with you and that was an excellent post. The city of Oakland gets a really bad rap and has basically been s**tted on time and time again by Bud Selig and co. Makes you wonder what Selig has against the city.

I would have liked the A's to stay in Oakland but Selig won't let that happen and what I want more than the A's to say in Oakland is for the A's to be a respectable franchise and for it to be fun to go to a game again.
I don't know what Selig has against the city of Oakland.

Poole mentioned the quote from Selig back a decade ago and I've posted that message many times here.

Quote from Selig on a TV interview with NBC affiliate WCR, don't know which city that's from...

Quote:
"I watched 32 years ago the Kansas City A's move to Oakland. They hurt the Giants badly. They never really did very well themselves. It was a horrible mistake."

4 world titles, which is more than all the other teams west of the Mississippi has combined since the A's moved to Oakland in 68 with I think the Dodgers having 2 and Angels 1.

Not to mention 14 division titles, 1 wild card, and 6 AL pennants.

What? Besides the NYY, the A's have been the most successful franchise in baseball since 68.

What a joker Selig is. I'd lump Selig and the SFG ownership for killing the A's chances of staying in Oakland and maybe the Bay Area, as Picicinni himself thinks is the reason why he wasn't allowed to buy the A's back nearly a dozen or so years ago.

I doubt the A's stay in Oakland, Wolff doesn't want to stay here and he'll always be a prick in my book even if he does somehow manage to build the A's a new park in SJ.
Speaking of SJ, a sports economist from Stanford here locally has stated he doesn't believe TR issue as a huge road block or "death knell" for the A's going to SJ.

Thinks the TR can be settled for 20-30 million.

Very doubtful SFG would want the measly amount. Rumors or speculation is that they'd want at least 100+ million.

f**k em.

If there was one criticism I would lay on the Haas family which I rarely do, it was when they didn't have a clause when they gave up their rights to the south bay back nearly two decades ago that if SFG didn't build a park down south, that the rights from the A's standpoint would return.

Course nobody back then saw the coliseum being ruined by the Raiders return and the SFG org holding onto these rights like it was theirs from the very start.

Again f**k em!
I don't know about that quote. If he was that concerned about the Giants and that much of a Giants fan you would think he would want to move the A's out of the Bay Area completely.
Originally posted by ninerpride:
Speaking of SJ, a sports economist from Stanford here locally has stated he doesn't believe TR issue as a huge road block or "death knell" for the A's going to SJ.

Thinks the TR can be settled for 20-30 million.

Very doubtful SFG would want the measly amount. Rumors or speculation is that they'd want at least 100+ million.

f**k em.

If there was one criticism I would lay on the Haas family which I rarely do, it was when they didn't have a clause when they gave up their rights to the south bay back nearly two decades ago that if SFG didn't build a park down south, that the rights from the A's standpoint would return.

Course nobody back then saw the coliseum being ruined by the Raiders return and the SFG org holding onto these rights like it was theirs from the very start.

Again f**k em!

I agree. Which is why I will never be able to support the Giants franchise. Their ownership group is such b***hes.

Correction, A's don't have the most world titles than the combined of the other teams west of the Miss, but counting teams west of the rockies, then yeah, heck include all both TEX teams too.

Yeah, do have to wonder if Selig though the A's moving to the bay area hurt SFG so much, why would he want the A's to stay especially in the south bay.

Maybe though with time he's understands how much of a untapped resource the south bay is and that if the A's move down there and can get some of that revenue while basically getting out of the "welfare" system in MLB where they get a ton of money from big revenue teams, it's better for the LEAGUE instead of what he thought nearly a decade ago when he said it would benefit only one team if the A's moved out of the area entirely.

Honestly there isn't anywhere for a franchise to move especially when you compare it to the resources here in the bay area/south bay and this area is much better than potential sites.
According to Slusser, Fuson will be officially announced as an A's special advisor today, day 1 of ST for the A's.
I'm not too confident in Braden this year.Apparently he still doesn't have feeling in two toes. Such a fluke injury probably ruins the career of a promising starter.

I swear we are cursed.
Duke already having some back issues.

Ah so it begins this early, first day of ST.
Hurts every time...

Share 49ersWebzone