There are 237 users in the forums

Rating the 49ers 2010 draft class

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Rating the 49ers 2010 draft class

We all know the usual "it takes x amount of years" to really rate a draft class but what are your impressions after year 1? Boom or busts what did we end up with in your opinion? Quick recap......

11th Pick Overall (1st Round) - Anthony Davis | Offensive Tackle | Rutgers
17th Pick Overall (1st Round) - Mike Iupati | Offensive Guard | Idaho
49th Pick Overall (2nd Round) - Taylor Mays | Strong Safety | USC
91st Pick Overall (3rd Round) - Navorro Bowman | Linebacker | Penn State
4th Round pick traded for Davis
5th Round pick traded for Ginn
173rd Pick Overall (6th Round) - Anthony Dixon | Running Back | Mississippi State
182nd Pick Overall (6th Round) - Nate Byham | Tight End | Pittsburgh
206th Pick Overall (6th Round) - Kyle Williams | Wide Reciever | ASU
224th Pick Overall (7th Round) - Phillip Adams | Cornerback | South Carolina State
I think it really, really sucks. Davis looks pretty bad, bowman looks bad, mays got benched. Byham and Iupati might be the only two worth keeping more than 3 years. Dixon can't even stay on his feet as a RB
These grades are only for this year's contributions.

1.) Davis - (D): Rough start to his career, but he's VERY young
1.) Iupati - (B+): Solid from day one, and future/multiple pro-bowler
2.) Mays - (C-): Needs a LOT of work if he's going to ever contribute
3.) Bowman - (C+): Took awhile to get started, but has a bright future
6.) Dixon - (C+): See Bowman
6.) Nate Byham - (D): Meh
6.) Williams - (Incomplete): Wait until 2011
7.) Adams - (C+): Did ok for such a late round pick; hope he returns healthy

Obviously the key will be how Davis pans out at OT. I think he'll be fine and eventually swap with Staley, giving us solid bookend tackles for years to come. The big steals (IMO) will be Bowman and Dixon, who could both turn into major contributors over the next few years...and if we get any contributions from Williams and Adams, this draft will be considered a huge success, even if Mays busts out.

However, if Mays is able to translate his other-wordly athleticisim into NFL production (combined with progress from the others as mentioned above), this draft could be one of the better classes in 49er history.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 2, 2011 at 19:02:28 ]
I'm pleased.

I think Baalke did a fair job. There's still a few players that get another season before I judge them...A Davis is one of them.
evaluation of anybody except Iupati or Davis is difficult because of the incompetence of the coaching staff. Dixon certainly showed some things but I think Mays, Bowman, Byham, Williams, and Adams are virtually unknowns at this point.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Obviously the key will be how Davis pans out at OT. I think he'll be fine and eventually swap with Staley, giving us solid bookend tackles for years to come. The big steals (IMO) will be Bowman and Dixon, who could both turn into major contributors over the next few years...and if we get any contributions from Williams and Adams, this draft will be considered a huge success, even if Mays busts out.

However, if Mays is able to translate his other-wordly athleticisim into NFL production (combined with progress from the others as mentioned above), this draft could be one of the better classes in 49er history.

Take away the first half of the season, Davis is a B. Shows that he will be solid to say the least. Iupati (B+) and Bowman(C+) were our other good picks. I really hope Mays pans out but so far I give him a D/C-.
I gave it a C.

I think Davis has been ok, he's just been inconsistent more so than flat out bad game in and game out. Iupati has been nice, but he tends to have some mental breakdowns here and there.

With regards to Mays, I knew it was going to take 3 or so years for him to see the field and make in impact. That's about the time duration before R. Smith and Goldson saw substantial action.

Bowman, Byham and Williams all get a 'meh' from me.

Why is it that 49er backs look like Jim Brown in preseason? Dixon looked fantastic but he hasn't done squat in regular season games.

I'm hoping this was more of a Singletary draft rather than a Baalke draft. At the end of the first year, it isn't looking all that great. However, there is a good amount of potential for future improvement.

-9fA
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
I think it really, really sucks. Davis looks pretty bad, bowman looks bad, mays got benched. Byham and Iupati might be the only two worth keeping more than 3 years. Dixon can't even stay on his feet as a RB

Yup because 2nd, 3rd, and 5th round picks are supposed to come into the league as pro bowlers with no growing pains.

Also A. Davis played quite well the second half of the year.

Damn dude you obviously know nothing about the NFL and potential.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:

Yup because 2nd, 3rd, and 5th round picks are supposed to come into the league as pro bowlers with no growing pains.

I agree. Davis, Iupati and Bowman are all good picks. All will get better also. Davis might have been the best of the bunch the last 6-7 games.

easyyy man. We traded UP for Davis. i dont have to ponder potential and wait for these guys to get good for me to change my grade??? As of right now, this class has played at a C- level, if they are great in 5 years then I will change my grade to an A. My grade has nothing to do with potential, as I've seen way too many Niner players never live up to potential that I should have "waited" to see..alex smith, rachal, baas, Staley (who i don't think is all that great), Balmer, Kwame, Cody Wallace, Glenn Coffee, Jason Hill, Snyder, Brandon Williams

Players that looked good their rookie years, or at least like they deserved to be drafted, still look pretty damn good- crabtree, VD, Gore, Willis, Spencer, Manny Lawson, Josh Morgan,Ray Mcdonald, D Walker

weird how that happens, isn't it?

[ Edited by DynastyChile on Jan 2, 2011 at 19:25:26 ]

Originally posted by jones49:

Take away the first half of the season, Davis is a B. Shows that he will be solid to say the least. Iupati (B+) and Bowman(C+) were our other good picks. I really hope Mays pans out but so far I give him a D/C-.

Take away the first half of the season and Davis is still only a C at best.
Anyone know what has been up with Byham? We used him a lot early in the season, haven't really seen him in half the season or so. I was impressed with Williams in the pre season but he didn't have the burst on the KR during the regular season. Hasn't seen much at WR...

I wold say C+ to B- right now, but it has a ton of potential. Adams has potential steal written all over him... Davis might have the most upside. Iupati will be solid for a decade (knock on wood).

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 2, 2011 at 19:33:46 ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Take away the first half of the season and Davis is still only a C at best.

Wrong. The last 6-7 games he's a solid B. Look what did he did to Clay Matthews...or do you not watch the games?

I agree. Davis, Iupati and Bowman are all good picks. All will get better also. Davis might have been the best of the bunch the last 6-7 games.

Cosigned

Our OL improved substantially after the bye week, mainly the right side with Rachal and Davis. I know they both were awful the first half of the season, but really turned the corner.

Davis decreased on the false start and holding penalties on the pass downs, and Rachal got really good at the reach and sweep plays. Staley and Iupati were consistently awesome from the first snap of the season and even Baas improved after the Saints game, but Heitmann will be back just in case. Overall, I think our OL will become a strength next season, especially with the experience factor

As for the rest of our draft picks, Mays and Bowman have each seen playing time on special teams and played well when asked to play on defense. Byham looks like a great multipurpose talent in the mold of Billy Bajema, but with better hands, and

Dixon stepped up into a role he wasn't suppose to do until next season (#2 RB), yet he has done the best he could under circumstances. Give him an offseason, bet he buys into the big back role, stops dancing before hitting the hole, and starts converting 3rd and 1 plays consistently.

Overall, I'd give the entire draft class a B- with this breakdown:
Davis: B
Iupati: B+
Mays: C
Bowman: C
Byham: C+
Dixon: C+
Adams:C

Nothing too earth-shattering, but we have the skill players, needed to improve the trenches
Iupati was our best pick.

Anthony Davis is not living up to his hype.

Hopefully Taylor Mays will be able to turn the switch on next season and play up to his potential.
Share 49ersWebzone