LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Tracy McGrady starting the all star game

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Not that I agree, or care about any sports all star game, but there is precedent for this. Magic played in one in which I don't believe he played in that season either when he got the AIDS. But again, nothing about the ASG is watchable anyways, so who cares?
Originally posted by Joecool:
He's got... Street Cred?

...in Beijing.

Every eligible Rocket got a ton of votes.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Not that I agree, or care about any sports all star game, but there is precedent for this. Magic played in one in which I don't believe he played in that season either when he got the AIDS. But again, nothing about the ASG is watchable anyways, so who cares?

lol really... Magic johnsons all star moment was something special. Do you truthfully want to compare those two situations right now?
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socalfan21:

lol really... Magic johnsons all star moment was something special. Do you truthfully want to compare those two situations right now?

Why not, it's exactly the same when you remove the reasoning. Neither player played a game that season and went to the ASG. What's so hard to comprehend? I know you're a huge homer and all, but facts are facts.
i literally got up from my bed last night when i saw on the bottom line of sportscenter that tmac was being voted as a starter i swear some/most fans are idiots
Wow, that sucks for the player who is left off the roster
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
He's got... Street Cred?

...in Beijing.

Every eligible Rocket got a ton of votes.

Maybe Yao Ming has a bigger entourage than we thought.

Why not, it's exactly the same when you remove the reasoning. Neither player played a game that season and went to the ASG. What's so hard to comprehend? I know you're a huge homer and all, but facts are facts.

Well, Magic was an iconic player who was forced into retirement well before his time had come because he got HIV. Him retiring for that reason was a culturally significant event, IMO, because of his impact on the perception and awareness of the disease.

While there's precedent for McGrady's inclusion, it's a lot more in line with other injured stars who have been voted in. Magic in '92 was a unique case, and a farewell to one of the legends of the game. Basketball fans didn't get to say "goodbye" to him the way that they did with other legends.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

Well, Magic was an iconic player who was forced into retirement well before his time had come because he got HIV. Him retiring for that reason was a culturally significant event, IMO, because of his impact on the perception and awareness of the disease.

While there's precedent for McGrady's inclusion, it's a lot more in line with other injured stars who have been voted in. Magic in '92 was a unique case, and a farewell to one of the legends of the game. Basketball fans didn't get to say "goodbye" to him the way that they did with other legends.

I get that, was just one example of someone who didn't play that went to the ASG Again, I don't see this is a big deal either way, it's a popularity contest and terrible tv anyway.

I get that, was just one example of someone who didn't play that went to the ASG Again, I don't see this is a big deal either way, it's a popularity contest and terrible tv anyway.

I agree, it's not something that is worth getting all that worked up about. It's a showcase, and whomever the fans want should be who they get. The game doesn't matter.

That being said, it is an element of how player's legacies are shaped. I'm sure I'll be arguing with some 25 year old in 2025 who uses McGrady's all-star appearances as supporting evidence for how amazing he was. Not that that matters either, it just ages me quicker.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Dec 11, 2009 at 09:41:35 ]

As a Rox fan

THIS IS s**t!!!

I agree, it's not something that is worth getting all that worked up about. It's a showcase, and whomever the fans want should be who they get. The game doesn't matter.

That being said, it is an element of how player's legacies are shaped. I'm sure I'll be arguing with some 25 year old in 2025 who uses McGrady's all-star appearances as supporting evidence for how amazing he was. Not that that matters either, it just ages me quicker.

What will be even more frustrating is that you will point out to that 25 year old that TMac was hurt that year and the 25 year old will comeback with, "See how good he was, he was voted in even while he was hurt."
Originally posted by crzy:
Uh, this is no surprise

Shaq started the 2006 All-Star game despite playing in maybe 5 games before the All-Star break and having a terrible season.

It's reputation, don't sweat it.

My only issue is citing all star games appearances or MVP as support for arguments comparing era. 20 years from now someone will say T-MAC is one of the greatest ever, he is a 10 time all star.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Arminini:
Originally posted by crzy:
Uh, this is no surprise

Shaq started the 2006 All-Star game despite playing in maybe 5 games before the All-Star break and having a terrible season.

It's reputation, don't sweat it.

My only issue is citing all star games appearances or MVP as support for arguments comparing era. 20 years from now someone will say T-MAC is one of the greatest ever, he is a 10 time all star.

That's why I think the most important thing is how many All-NBA teams a player is on.

That is usually legit.

And All-Defensive teams.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dobophile:
All-Defensive teams are becoming a bit of a joke these days, crzy.

Well sometimes. But at least fans don't vote for those.
Share 49ersWebzone