There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Joe Mauer is the AL MVP

link

Quote:
Joe Mauer became only the second catcher in 33 years to win the American League Most Valuable Player Award, finishing first in a near-unanimous vote Monday.

The Minnesota Twins star received 27 of 28 first-place votes and 387 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

New York Yankees teammates Mark Teixeira (225 points) and Derek Jeter (193) followed. The Detroit Tigers' Miguel Cabrera drew the other first-place vote and was fourth with 171 points, one point ahead of the Los Angeles Angels' Kendry Morales.

Can't say I agree on this choice.
[ Edited by NinerFanMT on Nov 23, 2009 at 3:24 PM ]
Who is your pick, MT?
YES!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Who is your pick, MT?

I'm gonna be a homer and go with Mark Teixeria. Hitting .292, 39 HR, and 122 RBI should've been plenty for Tex but I guess Mauer's .365 was the real selling point in his case.
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
Who is your pick, MT?

I'm gonna be a homer and go with Mark Teixeria. Hitting .292, 39 HR, and 122 RBI should've been plenty for Tex but I guess Mauer's .365 was the real selling point in his case.

yeah and maybe the fact that Mauer doesnt have the loaded lineup Texiera has.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Who is your pick, MT?

That shouldn't even be a factor becaus A-Rod has had what? 2 MVP since he came to NY? Its not like those lineups were any less loaded then this year's. The average and the fact that NY actually won the WS is probably why Mauer won it because it seems that members of the WS champions rarely win the regualr season MVP in baseball.
[ Edited by NinerFanMT on Nov 23, 2009 at 3:52 PM ]
Who is your pick, MT?

That shouldn't even be a factor becaus A-Rod has had what? 2 MVP since he came to NY? Its not like those lineups were any less loaded then this year's. The average and the fact that NY actually won the WS is probably why Mauer won it because it seems that members of the WS champions rarely win the regualr season MVP in baseball.

voting is done before the playoffs
He should go to the Giants. Right now.
link

Quote:
Joe Mauer became only the second catcher in 33 years to win the American League Most Valuable Player Award, finishing first in a near-unanimous vote Monday.

The Minnesota Twins star received 27 of 28 first-place votes and 387 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

New York Yankees teammates Mark Teixeira (225 points) and Derek Jeter (193) followed. The Detroit Tigers' Miguel Cabrera drew the other first-place vote and was fourth with 171 points, one point ahead of the Los Angeles Angels' Kendry Morales.

You have got to be kidding me. Mauer was the only choice this year. He lead the league in Batting Average, On Base Percentage, and Slugging Percentage. Some idiot gave Miguel Cabrera a first place vote but if there was ever a year for a unanimous winner it was this year. Texeira had a nice year but didnt carry the team the way Joe Mauer did. You are just looking at this vote through your Yankee Biased Glasses.
Who is your pick, MT?

voting is done before the playoffs

Oh really? Didnt know that, I was just looking at past MVP and it seems like none of them were on a WS winning team. Mauer did a lot of great things for the Twins no doubt, but I think Tex still shoulda finished ahead of him and then have Jeter or Miguel Cabrera 3rd.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
link

Quote:

You have got to be kidding me. Mauer was the only choice this year. He lead the league in Batting Average, On Base Percentage, and Slugging Percentage. Some idiot gave Miguel Cabrera a first place vote but if there was ever a year for a unanimous winner it was this year. Texeira had a nice year but didnt carry the team the way Joe Mauer did. You are just looking at this vote through your Yankee Biased Glasses.

No not really, b/c anyone that has seen my posts in the Yankees threads knows I'm not very biased towards NY at all. Hell I didnt say a damn thing throughout the playoff in any of those threads either until it was all over. I just think Tex did a lot more for the team and had a lot to do with the Yankees big turnaround this year with them becoming the best team in baseball.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
link

Quote:

No not really, b/c anyone that has seen my posts in the Yankees threads knows I'm not very biased towards NY at all. Hell I didnt say a damn thing throughout the playoff in any of those threads either until it was all over. I just think Tex did a lot more for the team and had a lot to do with the Yankees big turnaround this year with them becoming the best team in baseball.

You, my friend, are crazy. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I think you are completely off base. No one did more for his team than Joe Mauer did this year. He basically carried the team on his back to the playoffs and did not have the multitude of stars like the Yanks have. The one other big time player on his team, Justin Morneau, went out for the year, yet Mauer lead the team on.

Tex has a very nice year. So did ARod, Jeter, Cano, CC, Burnett, Damon, Matsui, Rivera.... they all had HUGE years. The Yankees were so loaded that its actually hard to give a player on that team an MVP in my opinion when someone like Mauer is the only all star caliber player on a playoff team. The voters got it right.. well except for some Miguel Cabrera fan.
Mauer deserved it. He singlehandedly carried his team into the playoffs even with Morneau down.

He had another batting title while hitting almost 30 homers all while playing solid defense at a very important position at catcher.

There's a reason he was an almost unanimous choice.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Mauer deserved it. He singlehandedly carried his team into the playoffs even with Morneau down.

He had another batting title while hitting almost 30 homers all while playing solid defense at a very important position at catcher.

There's a reason he was an almost unanimous choice.

A voice of reason. Wow.. shocking coming from an A's fan no less.
  • BigRon
  • Veteran
Only choice that makes sense. Mauer is the best.