LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 341 users in the forums

SF Giants Off Season Thread

Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by maximill15:
Originally posted by BigRon:
Here is a link to an impressive article from the ST Louis Post dispatch talking about the issues.

dayum, why would we want to sign someone who wont be able to hit??

isnt that what we usually do?

So what additions do people think we make this year? I read some where that Chone Figgins is on the radar, or should be or something.

What do you see our line up being? Does posey play everyday now? Offer arbitration to bengie?
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
So what additions do people think we make this year? I read some where that Chone Figgins is on the radar, or should be or something.

What do you see our line up being? Does posey play everyday now? Offer arbitration to bengie?

i think posey is ready, but sabean wants him to have another year down! There are def some teams in the market for a starting catcher!

i think posey is ready, but sabean wants him to have another year down! There are def some teams in the market for a starting catcher!

I think I might offer arbitration to bengie. I think some other team will offer him a multi year deal and he'll take it.

I think I might offer arbitration to bengie. I think some other team will offer him a multi year deal and he'll take it.

well if we offer arb, it might scare away another team who would lose a 1st rd pick!

I think the Giants will make a big play for Holiday and Bay. They cant afford to go into next year with the punch and judy lineup they have now. I also am sure they will have to vastly overpay to get one of these guys. Most likely.. Jason Bay as I think Holiday ends up staying in STL.

As far as the team offering Benji arbitration. No chance. With the year he had he would get a nice big raise and I doubt they want to pay Benji 7-8 million for the year. I would offer him a 1 yr 5 million dollar deal at best. I would prefer that money is spent elsewhere, however, and just let Posey take over.

Figgens? Nope. He would be way too costly in my opinion as there are several teams looking at him. Supposdily both Chicago teams want him. The last thing the Giants need to do is overspend on a singles hitter like Figgins in my opinion. Our manager doesnt play or like small ball so signing him doesnt make sense.

Other possibilities:
Bobby Abreu - would have really liked but his price has gone way up. No more
bargain for Bobby. Chances.. slim to none. I think he stays in LA.

Jermaine Dye - how much does he have left? I would gamble on a 1 yr deal with
large incentives. He is going somewhere thats for sure.

Vladdy - I really question his ability to play the outfield any longer but he is
an option. He doesnt want to DH full time. I could see him leaving
the Angels

Everyday Lineup:
Impossible right now to predict. Will they trade Cain or Sanchez for a bat? Who knows. Will know much more by end of the year.

well if we offer arb, it might scare away another team who would lose a 1st rd pick!

If we offered Benji arbitration there is ZERO chance he would refuse and the team would be paying him a nice big raise over last year. The only way he goes to another team is if the Giants do not offer arbitration. The Giants aren't getting compensation.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I think the Giants will make a big play for Holiday and Bay. They cant afford to go into next year with the punch and judy lineup they have now. I also am sure they will have to vastly overpay to get one of these guys. Most likely.. Jason Bay as I think Holiday ends up staying in STL.

As far as the team offering Benji arbitration. No chance. With the year he had he would get a nice big raise and I doubt they want to pay Benji 7-8 million for the year. I would offer him a 1 yr 5 million dollar deal at best. I would prefer that money is spent elsewhere, however, and just let Posey take over.

Figgens? Nope. He would be way too costly in my opinion as there are several teams looking at him. Supposdily both Chicago teams want him. The last thing the Giants need to do is overspend on a singles hitter like Figgins in my opinion. Our manager doesnt play or like small ball so signing him doesnt make sense.

Other possibilities:

Vladdy - I really question his ability to play the outfield any longer but he is
the Angels

Everyday Lineup:
Impossible right now to predict. Will they trade Cain or Sanchez for a bat? Who knows. Will know much more by end of the year.

I dont think the Giants make that big a play at Holliday or Bay, and I'm starting to doubt Holliday stays in StL. The Cards are going to have to pay Pujols and its gonna come out to AT LEAST 25 mill a year if not almost 30. That plus what it will cost to keep Holliday would be a LOT to tie up into two players, and they certainly will keep Pujols.

If they plan on extending Bengie for a year, i'd offer him the arbitration, at worst you pay him 2 mil more, but have the chance of gaining picks. It depends on if theyve already made up their minds to keep him or not.

figgins wouldn't cost that much, he got paid over 5 mill this year and it will likely go up to 6-7 mill, but he's 32 and has a great OBP which our team needs. however you're right about the no small ball point.

Abreu will stay in LA, end of story.

Dye is a possibility

I want nothing to do with Vlad

Other possibilities:

the Angels

Everyday Lineup:

I dont think the Giants make that big a play at Holliday or Bay, and I'm starting to doubt Holliday stays in StL. The Cards are going to have to pay Pujols and its gonna come out to AT LEAST 25 mill a year if not almost 30. That plus what it will cost to keep Holliday would be a LOT to tie up into two players, and they certainly will keep Pujols.

If they plan on extending Bengie for a year, i'd offer him the arbitration, at worst you pay him 2 mil more, but have the chance of gaining picks. It depends on if theyve already made up their minds to keep him or not.

figgins wouldn't cost that much, he got paid over 5 mill this year and it will likely go up to 6-7 mill, but he's 32 and has a great OBP which our team needs. however you're right about the no small ball point.

Dye is a possibility

I disagree with you on much of what you just said.

You really think that Figgins is only going to get a 1-2 million dollar raise when he hits free agency? Please! I would guess 9-10 million. 4 years - 40 million would be my bet. The Giants are not going to pay that kind of money for someone without power. WAY WAY too costly.

As far as Bay and Holiday go... Sabean is going to go after some power hitter thats for sure. They are the 2 big names out there and I believe they will at least make offers. How big? Hard to say but they will be active. I would guess that Holiday will be much more interested in the NL after this past year so if he does in fact leave STL the Giants would be a player in the bidding (although the Mets and Braves might be ahead). Sabean knows the fanbase will go nuts if he doesnt add bat(s) to this team. He cant afford a huge attendance hit.

Benji.. It truly makes me laugh that anyone thinks the Giants could get draft picks for Benji. No team is going to give up a #1 draft pick for Benji Molina. It isnt going to happen. The Giants may offer arbitation (although I doubt it) but one thing is for certain.. he would never turn it down. If the G-Men did offer him arbitration that would basically eliminate him from going anywhere else. Personally, I dont want to pay Molina $8 million for the next year to platoon with Posey.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Oct 27, 2009 at 1:57 PM ]

Other possibilities:

the Angels

Everyday Lineup:

Dye is a possibility

I disagree with you on much of what you just said.

You really think that Figgins is only going to get a 1-2 million dollar raise when he hits free agency? Please! I would guess 9-10 million. 4 years - 40 million would be my bet. The Giants are not going to pay that kind of money for someone without power. WAY WAY too costly.

As far as Bay and Holiday go... Sabean is going to go after some power hitter thats for sure. They are the 2 big names out there and I believe they will at least make offers. How big? Hard to say but they will be active. I would guess that Holiday will be much more interested in the NL after this past year so if he does in fact leave STL the Giants would be a player in the bidding (although the Mets and Braves might be ahead). Sabean knows the fanbase will go nuts if he doesnt add bat(s) to this team. He cant afford a huge attendance hit.

Benji.. It truly makes me laugh that anyone thinks the Giants could get draft picks for Benji. No team is going to give up a #1 draft pick for Benji Molina. It isnt going to happen. The Giants may offer arbitation (although I doubt it) but one thing is for certain.. he would never turn it down. If the G-Men did offer him arbitration that would basically eliminate him from going anywhere else. Personally, I dont want to pay Molina $8 million for the next year to platoon with Posey.

Well we will see about Bay, Holliday and Figgins and decide who's right. I agree that Bengie likely wouldn't get us a pick, but if were going to keep him anyways, I'd try, there isn't much out there in FA.

Ok lets say we do sign bay or holliday and we overpay! Is that going to put us over the top in the west?? Or will it just cripple us to make moves later??

It's bad to think that it would be more wise to just ride out this current team, until a better situation presents itself whether that be through FA (2010) or trade next season?
Ok lets say we do sign bay or holliday and we overpay! Is that going to put us over the top in the west?? Or will it just cripple us to make moves later??

It's bad to think that it would be more wise to just ride out this current team, until a better situation presents itself whether that be through FA (2010) or trade next season?

Holliday is a gamble I would be willing to take and overpay on. He knows NL West pitching like the back of his hand. Bay I wouldn't even take a flier on at this point, I think he has flop written all over him.

I hate to say it, but it may be worth it to not try and do anything other than trade for a bat. The 2011 free agents aren't looking too much better than this year's, besides Joe Mauer who we're never going to get a chance to sign anyway.

Catchers
John Buck (30)
Raul Chavez (38)
Gerald Laird (31)
Joe Mauer (28)
A.J. Pierzynski (34)
David Ross (34)

First basemen
Garrett Atkins (31)
Lance Berkman (35) - $15MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Jorge Cantu (29)
Wes Helms (35)
Paul Konerko (35)
Derrek Lee (35)
Lyle Overbay (34)
Carlos Pena (33)
Albert Pujols (31) - $16MM club option with a $5MM buyout
Ty Wigginton (33)

Second basemen
Willie Bloomquist (33)
David Eckstein (36)
Mark Ellis (34) - $6MM club option with a $500K buyout
Omar Infante (29) - $2.5MM club option with a $250K buyout
Maicer Izturis (30)
Julio Lugo (35)
Kaz Matsui (35)
Aaron Miles (34)
Nick Punto (33) - $5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Ramon Vazquez (34)

Shortstops
Eric Bruntlett (33)
Cristian Guzman (33)
Cesar Izturis (31)
Maicer Izturis (30)
Derek Jeter (37)
Julio Lugo (35)
Jhonny Peralta (29) - $7MM club option with a $250K buyout
Nick Punto (33) - $5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Edgar Renteria (35) - $10.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Jose Reyes (28) - $11MM club option with a $500K buyout
Jimmy Rollins (32) - $8.5MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Ramon Santiago (31)
Ramon Vazquez (34)

Third basemen
Garrett Atkins (31)
Jorge Cantu (29)
Eric Chavez (33) - $12.5MM club option with a $3MM buyout
Bill Hall (31) - $9.25MM club option with a $500K buyout
Wes Helms (35)
Brandon Inge (34)
Mike Lowell (37)
Jhonny Peralta (29) - $7MM club option with a $250K buyout
Aramis Ramirez (33) - $14.6MM player option
Scott Rolen (36)
Ty Wigginton (33)

Left fielders
Eric Byrnes (35)
David DeJesus (31) - $6MM club option with a $500K buyout
Adam Dunn (31)
Willie Harris (33)
Jason Kubel (29) - $5.25MM club option with a $350K buyout
Marcus Thames (34)

Center fielders
Alfredo Amezaga (33)
Willie Bloomquist (33)
Jody Gerut (33)
Willie Harris (33)
Willy Taveras (29)
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
What would it take to get a guy like Adam Dunn here?

Then maybe sign a solid hitter too. I swear if we go into 2010 with pretty much the same offensive lineup i swear im gonna be so pissed!
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Then maybe sign a solid hitter too. I swear if we go into 2010 with pretty much the same offensive lineup i swear im gonna be so pissed!

You mean the guy that Sabean could have gotten for almost the same amount of money as he paid Renteria??? LOL I would say it would cost too much to trade for Dunn especially when he just has 1 yr left on his contract. It would be better to wait on him for FA in my opinion.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

You mean the guy that Sabean could have gotten for almost the same amount of money as he paid Renteria??? LOL I would say it would cost too much to trade for Dunn especially when he just has 1 yr left on his contract. It would be better to wait on him for FA in my opinion.

yep, just wait. were not going to get much better or worse in 2010 imo. Our biggest addition will be a further strengthed bullpen.
Share 49ersWebzone