There are 53 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SF Giants Off Season Thread

Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
If the Giants do end up trading Cain, I would really want them to go after Rich Harden. I don't think he would cost a ton. Also, I'm surprised no one has been calling for us to sign Vlad. He had an off year also, and I think would be someone that could have a huge rebound next season if he stays healthy. Only problem is having two bad ball hitters back to back in the order, haha. I also like Hank Blalock as a suggestion for 1B. Not a whole lot to choose from though....

Having watched a LOT of Angels games I would not want to sign Vlad. I saw a real decline at the plate and I dont think he can play in the OF everyday. I just cannot see him going to the National League in any way. He will be a DH next year.

He was playing hurt for a lot of the year. I think he could still cover LF and is only 34 years old. I think it would be a perfect time to try and buy low on him. The only thing that really worries me is having two hitters that swing at everything batting next to each other.

Vlad is 34 going on 44. The years on that horrible astroturf in Montreal took a toll on his knees. He simply cannot be an everyday outfielder in my opinion. His bat speed has clearly slowed up and he has trouble with guys who can throw hard inside. I probably watched 100 Angel games this year and its clear that his skills offensivly and defensivly have dramaticlly declined. He was hurt in the first half of the year but his production was not great in the 2nd half.
I know video games are not realistic but I just traded Ryan Garko and Freddy Sanchez for Prince Fielder
  • BigRon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I know video games are not realistic but I just traded Ryan Garko and Freddy Sanchez for Prince Fielder

The two together probably weigh the same as Fielder
If the Giants do end up trading Cain, I would really want them to go after Rich Harden. I don't think he would cost a ton. Also, I'm surprised no one has been calling for us to sign Vlad. He had an off year also, and I think would be someone that could have a huge rebound next season if he stays healthy. Only problem is having two bad ball hitters back to back in the order, haha. I also like Hank Blalock as a suggestion for 1B. Not a whole lot to choose from though....

Having watched a LOT of Angels games I would not want to sign Vlad. I saw a real decline at the plate and I dont think he can play in the OF everyday. I just cannot see him going to the National League in any way. He will be a DH next year.

He was playing hurt for a lot of the year. I think he could still cover LF and is only 34 years old. I think it would be a perfect time to try and buy low on him. The only thing that really worries me is having two hitters that swing at everything batting next to each other.

Vlad is 34 going on 44. The years on that horrible astroturf in Montreal took a toll on his knees. He simply cannot be an everyday outfielder in my opinion. His bat speed has clearly slowed up and he has trouble with guys who can throw hard inside. I probably watched 100 Angel games this year and its clear that his skills offensivly and defensivly have dramaticlly declined. He was hurt in the first half of the year but his production was not great in the 2nd half.

I live in the same city you do my friend. All I'm getting at with Vlad is that he might be worth the risk. He was hurt for the first half for sure, and I think that carried over for the rest of the season. Someone is going to take a chance on him regardless, and I think it's going to pay off.

I live in the same city you do my friend. All I'm getting at with Vlad is that he might be worth the risk. He was hurt for the first half for sure, and I think that carried over for the rest of the season. Someone is going to take a chance on him regardless, and I think it's going to pay off.

Perhaps. I would bet money, however, that Vlad stays in the AL and is primarily a DH. Yes, he was hurt but he iis seriously on the decline. I just wish Sabean had gotten the guy when he should have. We would have a title now I'm sure.
ANybody happen to catch Abreu's stat line last night?

4 plate appearances 4 BB!!!

Please sign him this offseason & maybe his plate disciplen can rub off on this team
I think Timmy should win the Cy, just based on the fact that Wainright was whining to the media last night about the white towels. You don't see Timmy out there making excuses as to why he doesn't win and his offense is horrendous.
did we get a 25+ home run hitter yet?
I think Timmy should win the Cy, just based on the fact that Wainright was whining to the media last night about the white towels. You don't see Timmy out there making excuses as to why he doesn't win and his offense is horrendous.

not to mention carpenter choked big time!
Originally posted by maximill15:

Timmy doesnt need to whine. He strikes out the side so fast he's already in the dugout chilling.
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
did we get a 25+ home run hitter yet?

Yeah Pandoval! 25 homers, 90 RBI's.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Timmy doesnt need to whine. He strikes out the side so fast he's already in the dugout chilling.

Pretty much. I think the bad performance by Carpenter and the mediocre performance by Wainright (neither of which could win a game) might help Timmy get the Cy.
  • BigRon
  • Veteran

Pretty much. I think the bad performance by Carpenter and the mediocre performance by Wainright (neither of which could win a game) might help Timmy get the Cy.

I thought the voting was over after the regular season ended. If I remember correctly all the votes have to be into MLB offices prior to the first playoff game.
Originally posted by BigRon:

I thought the voting was over after the regular season ended. If I remember correctly all the votes have to be into MLB offices prior to the first playoff game.

I thought that, too.
Yahoo Answers - Voting done Monday after regular season ends
Originally posted by BigRon:

I think you're both right that that's the case, but it always seems really suspicious that they wait until after the season to let out who the winners are. It's baseball, so I wouldn't be surprised.
Get the Latest News at Giants365.com