LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks Off-Season Thread ***

Going from Niemi to Turco in net is a major downgrade.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
this years ortmeyer

Might be a little better, even. Adds a veteran presence along with Scottie.

I hope MacIntyre and some of the other young developing players (Ferriero, McLaren) up their game enough to get some playing time. I'm sure Frazer McLaren will get some games since he's one of our only 4th line tough guys now that Staubie is gone.
Mayers (finally) and Zalewski (camp fodder) sign.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=535531
http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=535533
Mayers will be very useful on the 3rd or 4th line and plays with grit, too. Good pickup.
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Mayers will be very useful on the 3rd or 4th line and plays with grit, too. Good pickup.

Depending on how well everyone does in camp, the initial line shake-ups on offense I suppose might be something like...

Heatley - Thornton - Marleau
Clowe - Pavelski - Setoguchi
Mayers - Couture - Mitchell
McGinn/McLaren - Nichol - Ferriero/MacIntyre/Desjardins/Wingels
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Depending on how well everyone does in camp, the initial line shake-ups on offense I suppose might be something like...

nahhhh put mayers in the 4th and bring up mcginn so we can have a 3rd line thats energetic and has the potential to put up pts
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

nahhhh put mayers in the 4th and bring up mcginn so we can have a 3rd line thats energetic and has the potential to put up pts

You're probably right. Jamie and Logan are good breakout candidates who probably could put up a lot more points than expected, even.
dont be surprised if gooch/clowe spend some time on the 3rd line

with couture on the 2nd flanking pavs.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
dont be surprised if gooch/clowe spend some time on the 3rd line

with couture on the 2nd flanking pavs.

Wouldn't be too surprised, A McGinn, Mitchell, and Setoguchi third line would have some serious speed.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 6, 2010 at 09:36:05 ]

Hockey Blogger for sharks

Decent read on Doherty in the WJC camp. Hope the bolded is what he brings to us.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=535681

Quote:
. . . The chance to represent his country is exciting for the six-foot-seven, 220-pound blueliner.

“The World Junior team means the world to Canada,” said Doherty. “This is the first step to the development of the team. Everybody here is really excited about it; the players, the coaches and the staff. It’s pretty special for me to be invited here and participate in this camp.”

Doherty noted that players have to be themselves while at the camp and not try to perform in ways they are not accustomed to.

“They (the coaches) basically say, ‘do what got you here, play your game, play your style’,” said Doherty. “Don’t go away from that because you’re at a big camp. They want us to compete and work hard no matter what situation we’re in and to play good physical hockey.”

So what are Doherty’s strengths?

“I’m a big strong defenseman,” said Doherty. “I play physical in my own end and punish guys when I can, without getting out of position. Working hard is a big part of my game. I take care of my defensive zone, making sure everything’s OK in there, and try to create a little offense.”

The camp concludes this weekend and then Doherty will rest a bit from being on the ice before continuing his development.

“We’re done Saturday night and I’ll fly home early Sunday morning,” said Doherty. “I’ll get back to my hometown for three-and-a-half weeks or so, then I have the Kingston training camp for a week and then I fly out there.”

The summer travels have literally taken Doherty from coast to coast this summer with the Team Canada camp in Newfoundland and the Sharks summer development camp in San Jose.

“It’s been busy,” said Doherty. “I probably never would have come out East, so it’s been great to come out here and experience this and going out to California was another great experience for me. So it’s all amazing.”

He will return to California next month for training camp, but if all goes well, he will be back with many of the same junior players he is with this week for the World Junior Championships in Buffalo in December.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 6, 2010 at 23:57:45 ]
Sharks' 2010 Rookie Tournament roster is out. Cool to see some of these names on here, including some 2010 picks. Anyways.. I hope they shine.

http://sharks.nhl.com/v2/ext/PDF/2010-11_Sharks_Rookie_Tournament_Roster.pdf

Notable players on the roster:

Forwards - Ferriero, Lucia, Freddie Hamilton, MacIntyre, Marcou, Varone, Viedensky, Wingels
Defensemen - Abeltshauser, Braun, Doherty, Petrecki, Shaus

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 13, 2010 at 09:23:36 ]
Kaberle can be traded until midnight tonight with the NTC not applying right now
Have captains been named yet? Pavelski deserves at least an A on his chest for his work last postseason.
Originally posted by LloydsKittyKat:
Have captains been named yet? Pavelski deserves at least an A on his chest for his work last postseason.

He does, but no they haven't been named yet.

Ads, Fred, Nick, and the rest.. What are your guesses for the captaincies this year?

My guess:

Boyle - "C"
Pavelski - "A"
Thornton - "A"

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 16, 2010 at 10:32:54 ]
Share 49ersWebzone