LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 429 users in the forums

Monfils vs. Nadal

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Anyone watching this?? Wow...these guys are playin' some great tennis. I haven't seen these many 20+ shot rallies

watchin it now.
that foo is huffin n puffin
Monfils
Too bad tennis isn't what it used to be
Good match...Nadal was playing like he used to before he got hurt...he has real good stamina and he will beat almost anyone if it goes 5 sets... Montfils just got burnt out

[ Edited by artiga1 on Sep 8, 2009 at 23:51:15 ]
  • JR80
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoNiners:

what?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

The quality of tennis now is much superior than it ever was. Guys like Federer and Nadal have taken the game to new heights. If you are talkin' about no American men dominating the majors I understand, but the game itself is at a level never seen before.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

The quality of tennis now is much superior than it ever was. Guys like Federer and Nadal have taken the game to new heights. If you are talkin' about no American men dominating the majors I understand, but the game itself is at a level never seen before.

what i mean is that tennis isn't as fun to watch as it was back then. Yes Nadal and Federer have had some classic matches i admit that. When a tennis slam or major start i know it's gonna be Federer and Nadal in the finals most likely. So to me it's too predictable. Whereas there was so much more talent plus the players were more colorful and made the game fun to watch. To me there isn't a player that really stands out from everyone else. Sure you can bash on my opinion and that's fine but Tennis was a lot more fun to watch back in the day.
  • JR80
  • Veteran

what i mean is that tennis isn't as fun to watch as it was back then. Yes Nadal and Federer have had some classic matches i admit that. When a tennis slam or major start i know it's gonna be Federer and Nadal in the finals most likely. So to me it's too predictable. Whereas there was so much more talent plus the players were more colorful and made the game fun to watch. To me there isn't a player that really stands out from everyone else. Sure you can bash on my opinion and that's fine but Tennis was a lot more fun to watch back in the day.

Tennis is a sport that IS dominated by one or two players at a time. Don't tell me that Agassi, Sampras, Conners, McEnroe, Bjorn Borg, Steffi Graf, Martina Navritalova and others didn't simply dominate the game for their respective periods of time.
  • Riot
  • Veteran
Now I know absolutely nothing about tennis and am usally bored to tears watching it on TV, but I've seen Monfils play a few times now and it seems like he always makes it interesting.

Is he a young guy just breaking out?

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Riot:
Now I know absolutely nothing about tennis and am usally bored to tears watching it on TV, but I've seen Monfils play a few times now and it seems like he always makes it interesting.

He is, but just not there mentally. He also tends to get injured more often than Jennings, and that's saying something. If you like Monfils style, I think you will enjoy Nadal.
Originally posted by Riot:

He is, but just not there mentally. He also tends to get injured more often than Jennings, and that's saying something. If you like Monfils style, I think you will enjoy Nadal.

Monfils is (to me) one of the few guys on the court who actually seems to have a personality. It's probably the reason why i enjoy watching him play.

He was highly touted when he was young. I remember seeing clips of him when he was 14.

-9fA
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

I actually agree with you. Like another poster said, tennis is usually dominated by couple of players, but we have never seen this kind of domination. Federer has made like every final in last 3-4 years I can remember, and Nadal has also reached later rounds in almost the all slams (the ones he played in) in recent times.

Sampras and Agassi may have dominated the 90s, but there were players like Becker, Rafter, Goran, Courier, and many others who gave them everything they could handle. I think the top 10 in 90s was much stronger in the sense that they could take out Sampras or Agassi on any given day.

Now, they have very slim chances to take the top two guys. Having said that, I want to see Fed and Nadal final.
Share 49ersWebzone