LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Strike could threaten 2010 World Cup

JOHANNESBURG -- South African construction workers went on an indefinite strike Wednesday at stadiums being built for the 2010 World Cup -- a move that could derail Africa's historic first World Cup tournament.

Thousands of workers at stadiums across the country put down their tools after wage negotiations deadlocked earlier this week. Workers are demanding a 13 percent pay increase while employers are offering 10.4 percent.

The strike could delay completion of flagship projects such as the Soccer City stadium in Johannesburg and stadiums in Cape Town and Durban. Other stadiums in smaller towns have also been affected.

The venues need to be completed by December to meet deadlines set by the game's ruling body FIFA before the tournament kicks off in June 2010.

Link to story

IIRC, aren't we penciled in as an emergency host? I hope this thing goes down w/o a hitch, but it would be awesome to get the WC here next year.
  • JR80
  • Veteran
They said this about Greece Olympics too...but they eventually happened. The Confed Cup showed that they at least have most of the stadiums ready to go...
Man, I'd much rather have it be here than in Africa Strike! Strike! Strike! wooo!
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
JOHANNESBURG -- South African construction workers went on an indefinite strike Wednesday at stadiums being built for the 2010 World Cup -- a move that could derail Africa's historic first World Cup tournament.

Thousands of workers at stadiums across the country put down their tools after wage negotiations deadlocked earlier this week. Workers are demanding a 13 percent pay increase while employers are offering 10.4 percent.

The strike could delay completion of flagship projects such as the Soccer City stadium in Johannesburg and stadiums in Cape Town and Durban. Other stadiums in smaller towns have also been affected.

The venues need to be completed by December to meet deadlines set by the game's ruling body FIFA before the tournament kicks off in June 2010.

Link to story

IIRC, aren't we penciled in as an emergency host? I hope this thing goes down w/o a hitch, but it would be awesome to get the WC here next year.

I believe the US is one of about five emergency back ups.
Soccer? Who cares.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Soccer? Who cares.

I do!!!
Soccer? Who cares.
you cared enough to post in this thread

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Soccer? Who cares.

The rest of the world?
  • dman
  • Veteran
Soccer? Who cares.

NO!

i wanna see Ghana win it all

greedy workers. j/k. Hopefully they reach an agreement.
Share 49ersWebzone