There are 205 users in the forums

2009 MLB All Star Game/Home Run Derby Thread

Originally posted by NinerinMo:
When it comes to voting for Pablo what is the vote limit?

James, are you going tho the game or Fanfest or HR Derby?

no limit homeboy
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Nothing you can do about the fan vote. Obviously there are some picks that are wrong such as Josh Hamilton, Yadier Molina, Dustin Pedroia. Instead, those picks should have been Tori Hunter, Brian McCann, and Aaron Hill. Also.. guys like Ted Lilly and Andrew Bailey had to be picked because the Cubs and A's had really noone else to choose from.

Here are picks by the managers that are whacked and the players that should have been picked:

NL:
Hunter Pence.. better pick: Matt Kemp ( compare the stats)
Ryan Howard : better pick : Pablo Sandoval ( why 4 1b - Pablo could be 3rd C too)
Ryan Franklin : better pick: Chris Carpenter if you want a Card. Plus he is great
Jason Marquis better pick : Yavani Gallardo - just a no brainer

Franklin is having a good year but PLEASE.. the guy is a roid boy who failed as a starter and has been mediocre forever. Trevor Hoffman is a HOF pitcher having a great year and Carpenter is one of top pitchers in baseball

AL:
Tim Wakefield: better pick: Jered Weaver ( better in everything other than wins)
Michael Young: better pick Scott Rolen ( close but Rolen is having better yr)

I don't get the Pence, Marquis and Wakefield selections at all but the other i could go either way on.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by tn_niner:
Originally posted by crzy:
Dustin Pedroia is so overrated

You have to be a Yankees fan.

So overrated that he's the reigning AL MVP!!!

BTW, they don't let fans vote that!!!!

I'm a Cardinals fan and I'll tell you Pedroia is overrated.

He shouldn't have won the AL MVP...he wasn't even the best player on his TEAM last year, so he definitely wasn't the best in the entire AL.

Like I said earlier, either Aaron Hill, Ben Zobrist, or possibly Ian Kinsler should be starting over Pedroia.

None of those 3 players you mentioned are having any better year than Pedroia so why should they get the nod over him when they aren't playing any better?

As far as the best player on his team/in the AL, his stats are right there with Kevin Youkilis. Some stats Youkilis lead the team and some Pedroia lead the team. If you judge a good year on HR's, then yeah Youkilis did have a better season. If you base it on OBP or SLG, Youkilis had a overall higher number but Pedroia was right there with him.

If you think somebody else in the AL had a better year, I'd like to know who?

Kevin Youkilis, Miguel Cabrera, Josh Hamilton to name a few.

Also, lets take a look here at Pedroia compared to other guys

Avg:
Pedroia - .290
Hill - .299
Zobrist - .281

Homeruns:
Pedroia - 3
Hill - 20
Zobrist - 16

RBI:
Pedroia - 36
Hill - 59
Zobrist - 46

SB:
Pedroia - 14
Hill - 3
Zobrist - 8

OBP:
Pedroia - .368
Hill - .339
Zobrist - .400

SLG:
Pedroia - .393
Hill - .503
Zobrist - .598

I mean, you really don't have much of an argument here..the only thing Pedroia is leading in is stolen bases, and hes only up 6 on Zobrist. And hell, if you wanna throw in Ian Kinsler (in the FINAL VOTE competition) then he doesn't even win stolen bases either! (Kinsler has 16) Everything else Zobrist/Hill win the category. Pedroia simply won because he plays on a large market team and won the popularity contest. If Pedroia played on the Blue Jays or the Rays, no way in HELL would he be starting. He's simply overrated.

HILL is obviously on steroids or HGH, never hit more than 17 HRs before this year

I hope you are joking lol
Vote for Pablo.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerinMo:
When it comes to voting for Pablo what is the vote limit?

James, are you going tho the game or Fanfest or HR Derby?

I'm gonna be at the FanFest and the HR Derby
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Nothing you can do about the fan vote. Obviously there are some picks that are wrong such as Josh Hamilton, Yadier Molina, Dustin Pedroia. Instead, those picks should have been Tori Hunter, Brian McCann, and Aaron Hill. Also.. guys like Ted Lilly and Andrew Bailey had to be picked because the Cubs and A's had really noone else to choose from.

Here are picks by the managers that are whacked and the players that should have been picked:

NL:
Hunter Pence.. better pick: Matt Kemp ( compare the stats)
Ryan Howard : better pick : Pablo Sandoval ( why 4 1b - Pablo could be 3rd C too)
Ryan Franklin : better pick: Chris Carpenter if you want a Card. Plus he is great
Jason Marquis better pick : Yavani Gallardo - just a no brainer

Franklin is having a good year but PLEASE.. the guy is a roid boy who failed as a starter and has been mediocre forever. Trevor Hoffman is a HOF pitcher having a great year and Carpenter is one of top pitchers in baseball

AL:
Tim Wakefield: better pick: Jered Weaver ( better in everything other than wins)
Michael Young: better pick Scott Rolen ( close but Rolen is having better yr)

Ryan Franklin deserves to be an All Star.

2-0 0.84 ERA
24:7 K/BB ratio
20 saves (T-3rd in NL)

But other then that, you're spot on. Marquis did win 10 games, but Yovani has been filthy and gets NO run support when he pitches.
[ Edited by jrg on Jul 6, 2009 at 12:31 PM ]
Really, no Jered Weaver?

Vote for Chone Figgins in the AL
Personally, I really appreciate MLB trying to get fans involved with the sport but I think they would be better off not letting fans vote for the ASG. Every year, somebody gets left out that really deserved it and somebody gets voted in that didn't deserve it. Its a big mess every year.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Really, no Jered Weaver?

Yeah, Chone deserves it the most in the AL IMO
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Really, no Jered Weaver?

Yeah, Chone deserves it the most in the AL IMO

Thank you, finally someone agrees with me.
He may not have the flashy HR stats but he does the dirty work and is a all around good player. He really deserves it.

Personally, I really appreciate MLB trying to get fans involved with the sport but I think they would be better off not letting fans vote for the ASG. Every year, somebody gets left out that really deserved it and somebody gets voted in that didn't deserve it. Its a big mess every year.

Personally I think fans have every right to vote for their favorites. This game is for the fans.

Now go vote for Pablo.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Jul 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM ]
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Personally I think fans have every right to vote for their favorites. This game is for the fans.

Now go vote for Pablo.

They do have the right to vote, but favorites don't always deserve a All-Star nod.
Timmy and Cain!!!!

where's Pandoval?
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Now go vote for Pablo.

They do have the right to vote, but favorites don't always deserve a All-Star nod.

I like the idea of fan's voting but I would like to see the fan vote be limited to two players at each position. Let the coaches and Players vote for the Allstar team. ALL 32 positions. No one voting for a member of their team. Then after the top two at each position have been selected by the coaches and players use the fan vote as the decider. Change the start of the fan vote to mid June and have it last for only 2 weeks instead of starting the process in April and running for 3 months. The fans are then voting for the starting squad from players already going to the game plus a write in vote.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Pujols, Howard among HR Derby entries

Quote:
NEW YORK -- Former champion Ryan Howard, Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder and Adrian Gonzalez will represent the National League in the All-Star Home Run Derby next week.

The four sluggers are the NL's first basemen for the game July 14 at St. Louis. The Home Run Derby will be held Monday night at Busch Stadium.

Pujols leads the majors with 31 home runs for the Cardinals. Howard won the 2006 All-Star Home Run Derby in Pittsburgh.

The AL participants will be announced later.
Share 49ersWebzone