There are 153 users in the forums

Tyson vs. Ali

Tyson vs. Ali

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by BobS:
Hell, I don't think I could even include Mike Tyson in an all time heavyweight top ten.
The guy had a 4 year run beating up on stiffs, then when a few decent heavyweights
appeared he got trashed. Please, one of the 44% that picked Tyson, name me someone decent he beat. He did beat Larry Holmes but I believe Holmes was 55 years old at the time.

hey bob....

larry holmes is only 58 or 59 years old..... he was in his mid 30s when tyson beat the tar out of him.....

for the record..... For me , Larry holmes was the greatest heavy weight ever....

He also fought in an era that did not have great heavy weights

But i have no doubt that if he was in the mix with Foreman Ali ect that he would have done Fine.

Best Jab boxing has ever seen.

What made Holmes so awsome was never really was an off balanced striker....

You never really seen him LOAD up to take some one out , He was so fluid , never really telegraphed his blows...he just Punched people really really hard.

That is why his jab was so deadly , he just Flicked it out there and could knock people out with a glaceing blow. He was not a fighter that Coiled up and unloaded....he just punched....

forward or backwards....attacker or counter puncher....didnt matter he would knock people out with that jab.

Holmes was 38 when he got killed by Tyson, out of shape and coming off a 2 year retirement, I was just trying to be funny when I said he was 55. I liked the guy,
met him in Vegas before his fight with Spinks where he was robbed. I was pulling for him to tie Marciano's record, too bad he got screwed by the judges. I don't think he got the credit he deserved. He beat Ernie Shavers and Ken Norton, 2 fighters who were pretty solid, better than anyone Tyson beat. I think following Ali
was a tough act to follow. He won his first 48 fights, He definitely is a top 10 all time heavyweight on any knowledgeable fight fans list. He was in a no win situation
when he faced an over the hill Ali, and he beat up the great white hope Gerry Cooney. I don't think any heavyweight champion was as disrespected as Larry Holmes, he held the title for almost 8 years, never did anything that would make him a bad citizen, but still got no love. Then you get some loser like Tyson that rapes women, beats up old men after he rear ends their car, bites people's
ears off, and he gets unconditional admiration. Makes no sense to me.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Here is a list of people Ali defeated and they were not old the first time he beat them. He was heavyweight champion for a total sum of 10 years.

Sonny Liston
Jimmy Ellis
Floyd Patterson
Ken Norton
George Foreman
Jimmy Young
Earnie Shavers
Joe Frazier

Mike Tyson champion for 3 years defeated these notables

Michael Spinks
Carl Williams
Tony Tucker
Pinklon Thomas
James Smith

The only 2 fighters that Tyson fought on par with Ali's victim list, Evander Hollyfield
and Lennox Lewis beat him badly.

The fact that anyone actually thinks Tyson could or would beat Ali in both of their primes just cracks me up. Look at the names above and that says it all. As I mentioned earlier, Ali was smarter, faster, a much better boxer, and could take a punch better. Ali would have made Tyson look silly.

No one in the history of heavy weight boxing has ever had the raw handspeed power combination of Mike Tyson...... Ali never faced some one with Tysons handspeed

ANY one who have lived threw both eras would have to agree at the very WORST , Tyson had a punchers chance.

A punchers chance? Ali would have told Tyson what round he was going down and made him look like a clown when he hit the ground. Ali deserves the copyright for the term; "Greatest of All Times."

I like Tyson and don't think that he should have been convicted of rape; but thee is simply no comarison
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Here is a list of people Ali defeated and they were not old the first time he beat them. He was heavyweight champion for a total sum of 10 years.

Sonny Liston
Jimmy Ellis
Floyd Patterson
Ken Norton
George Foreman
Jimmy Young
Earnie Shavers
Joe Frazier

Mike Tyson champion for 3 years defeated these notables

Michael Spinks
Carl Williams
Tony Tucker
Pinklon Thomas
James Smith

The only 2 fighters that Tyson fought on par with Ali's victim list, Evander Hollyfield
and Lennox Lewis beat him badly.

The fact that anyone actually thinks Tyson could or would beat Ali in both of their primes just cracks me up. Look at the names above and that says it all. As I mentioned earlier, Ali was smarter, faster, a much better boxer, and could take a punch better. Ali would have made Tyson look silly.

No one in the history of heavy weight boxing has ever had the raw handspeed power combination of Mike Tyson...... Ali never faced some one with Tysons handspeed

ANY one who have lived threw both eras would have to agree at the very WORST , Tyson had a punchers chance.

A punchers chance? Ali would have told Tyson what round he was going down and made him look like a clown when he hit the ground. Ali deserves the copyright for the term; "Greatest of All Times."

I like Tyson and don't think that he should have been convicted of rape; but thee is simply no comarison

I agree, the quality of the fighters that Ali faced compared to the scrubs that Tyson faced are like apples and oranges. They are no where near being close to the same caliber. Tyson was a good fighter but Ali was a GREAT FIGHTER.

LOL@punchers chance. Anyone has a punchers chance.
Share 49ersWebzone