LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Which pitcher would you take right now for the next decade (post 6/09)

Which pitcher would you take right now for the next decade (post 6/09)

Jose Lima
How well do pitchers of Timmy's size fare over time? I just have this feeling that he's not going to have a long career.
idk about starsburg

1 start against the pirates

let him get a few games under his belt and against some better teams.
Why does everyone compare Strasburg to Mark Prior? just because he was a highly hyped college starter who had an electric fastball?

Mark Prior had horrible mechanics, while from every indication Strasburg has great mechanics. Just because he throws fast doesn't mean he's destined ti blow his arm out. Hell Mark Mulder blew his arm out and he didn't even throw 90. Meanwhile Randy Johnson had a big fastball and a hall of fame career.

[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Jun 9, 2010 at 20:35:13 ]
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
How well do pitchers of Timmy's size fare over time? I just have this feeling that he's not going to have a long career.

Pedro pitched for 10+ years
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Why does everyone compare Strasburg to Mark Prior? just because he was a highly hyped college starter who had an electric fastball?

Mark Prior had horrible mechanics, while from every indication Strasburg has great mechanics. Just because he throws fast doesn't mean he's destined ti blow his arm out. Hell Mark Mulder blew his arm out and he didn't even throw 90. Meanwhile Randy Johnson had a big fastball and a hall of fame career.

its 1 start

The argument isn't that they throw hard, it's that Strasburg does the inverted W, Prior did the same

Thats the furthest statement from the truth.

Prior was said to have the PERFECT mechanics and is the IDEAL way a pitcher should pitch. No wasted movements, no overuse of the shoulder or elbow etc...

They question it now, but at the time, Prior was believed to have had the most Perfect mechanics of any pitcher to ever play the game

2001 23 HOU NL 14 3 2.73
2002 24 HOU NL 19 9 3.01
2003 25 HOU NL 10 5 2.97
2004 26 HOU NL 20 10 3.49
2005 27 HOU NL 20 12 2.94
2006 28 HOU NL 15 8 2.98
2007 29 HOU NL 14 7 3.18
2008 30 HOU NL 17 10 3.54
2009 31 HOU NL 8 6 4.12
2010 32 HOU NL 3 8 3.22

One of my favorite pitchers still to this day, and still going strong... just wait til he gets traded. Roy Oswalt
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

Thats the furthest statement from the truth.

Prior was said to have the PERFECT mechanics and is the IDEAL way a pitcher should pitch. No wasted movements, no overuse of the shoulder or elbow etc...

They question it now, but at the time, Prior was believed to have had the most Perfect mechanics of any pitcher to ever play the game

I found this quote on a website and it has been repeated a couple times in a similar fashion.

Before anyone gets on me about Mark Prior's having supposedly perfect pitching mechanics, let me explain something. The person who said that Mark Prior had perfect pitching mechanics is a guy named Tom House. Tom House also happened to be Mark Prior's pitching coach and designed Mark Prior's pitching mechanics. As a result, Tom House shouldn't be considered an impartial, objective observer and his pronouncements about Mark Prior need to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

EDIT: However, Dr James Andrews who is the Tommy John Surgery guru isn't sure that the inverted W (fancy way of saying M lol) is a sure fire cause of eventual injury.

(http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-prior031109)

[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Jun 9, 2010 at 22:18:58 ]

Originally posted by TheNaitch:

Pedro pitched for 10+ years

Ahh my favorite player of all time... good point!

The argument isn't that they throw hard, it's that Strasburg does the inverted W, Prior did the same

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/baseball/pitching/ProfessionalPitcherAnalyses/StephenStrasburg.html

You are right in saying that his mechanics are a little more dangerous than I had originally thought, but at least this guy seems to think they aren't quite as extreme.

Here's that guys breakdown of Mark Prior btw

http://www.chrisoleary.com/Projects/Baseball/Pitching/rethinkingpitching/Essays/MarkPriorPitchingMechanics.html

Another link with a bit of a dicusion

http://www.drivelinemechanics.com/2008/11/18/665018/quick-note-stephen-strasbu

One thing I saw that the guy did not touch on is that Priors foot was on the ground before he started rotating his body while Strasburg's foot touched the ground much later on. As was said in the second breakdown this can lead to a lot of strain on the arm. Also I noticed that Strasburg's elbow didn't come nearly as high above his shoulder as Prior's did. In fact it was rather minimal. Of course idealy the elbow would never be higher than the shoulder but it doesn't from my untrained eye appear to happen nearly as bad as for Prior.

But what do I know.
Jered Weaver

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/baseball/pitching/ProfessionalPitcherAnalyses/StephenStrasburg.html

You are right in saying that his mechanics are a little more dangerous than I had originally thought, but at least this guy seems to think they aren't quite as extreme.

Here's that guys breakdown of Mark Prior btw

http://www.chrisoleary.com/Projects/Baseball/Pitching/rethinkingpitching/Essays/MarkPriorPitchingMechanics.html

Another link with a bit of a dicusion

http://www.drivelinemechanics.com/2008/11/18/665018/quick-note-stephen-strasbu

One thing I saw that the guy did not touch on is that Priors foot was on the ground before he started rotating his body while Strasburg's foot touched the ground much later on. As was said in the second breakdown this can lead to a lot of strain on the arm. Also I noticed that Strasburg's elbow didn't come nearly as high above his shoulder as Prior's did. In fact it was rather minimal. Of course idealy the elbow would never be higher than the shoulder but it doesn't from my untrained eye appear to happen nearly as bad as for Prior.

But what do I know.
Uh oh...... Strasburg is being held out because of shoulder inflammation. link

A little too soon eh?
[ Edited by HaiGuise on Jul 28, 2010 at 5:16 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone