LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Which pitcher would you take right now for the next decade (post 6/09)

Which pitcher would you take right now for the next decade (post 6/09)

I don't know how people are picking Strasburg who hasn't even thrown a pitch in the big league over pitchers like CC and Johan. Maybe Strasburg becomes a good pitcher but to pick him over proven talent amazes me.
  • SLICK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
You guys are crazy if you think this kid will be a bust or wont be a star. He is the best prospect coming out of college well.. ever.

I understand that Lincy or Greinke would be on the top of most lists and there is no question I would choose those 2 right now for the next few years. However, the question was about the next decade and I think he will be special over the next 10 years. There are very few people that have ever played this game that has the natural ability that Strasburg has.

OK.. I will take my 5 man staff then for the future:

Lincecum
Greinke
Price
Strasburg
Billingsley

Why? Cuz he throws 103? He's gonna need other pitches to be dominant. Nolan Ryan threw 100 MPH when guys were topping in the mid 90's and he was NEVER considered the best pitcher of his time in any decade that he pitched.

I do like your starting 5 alot tho. Tough to argue, tho I think Hammels if healthy could break that Top 5.
cole hammels is invinceable if hes in the zone.
he killed us in the nlcs last year
Originally posted by SLICK:
You guys are crazy if you think this kid will be a bust or wont be a star. He is the best prospect coming out of college well.. ever.

I understand that Lincy or Greinke would be on the top of most lists and there is no question I would choose those 2 right now for the next few years. However, the question was about the next decade and I think he will be special over the next 10 years. There are very few people that have ever played this game that has the natural ability that Strasburg has.

Lincecum
Greinke
Price
Strasburg
Billingsley

Why? Cuz he throws 103? He's gonna need other pitches to be dominant. Nolan Ryan threw 100 MPH when guys were topping in the mid 90's and he was NEVER considered the best pitcher of his time in any decade that he pitched.

I do like your starting 5 alot tho. Tough to argue, tho I think Hammels if healthy could break that Top 5.

You are correct about Ryan. However, he was a first ballot HOF pitcher with 7 no hitters and the all time K leader. He might not have been Tom Seaver but he was damned good.

Here is a scouting reporton Strasburg. He clearly has the mechanics and more than just a 100 mile fastball:

Strasburg is in great shape and has unbelievable arm speed; he takes a long stride toward the plate and can wait to start his arm because it is so quick, which adds deception to his absurd velocity. His mechanics are clean and repeatable and he shows above-average command of his stuff, which is part of what separates him from past college flamethrowers like Bobby Witt (who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in college). Strasburg could pitch in a major league rotation right now and has little or nothing to learn from facing minor league hitters who will struggle to catch up to his fastball, let alone adjust to his breaking ball.
Originally posted by SLICK:

Lincecum
Greinke
Price
Strasburg
Billingsley

Hamels would be right there as well.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
ill take the guy that went 7-0 in the postseason and was the NLCS and World Series MVP
Originally posted by jrg:

Not Matt Morris!!!
How about a rotation with Trevor Cahill, Brett Anderson and Vin Mazzaro for the next 10 years... I will take it.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by socalfan21:
How about a rotation with Trevor Cahill, Brett Anderson and Vin Mazzaro for the next 10 years... I will take it.

10 years

Be real, you know the A's are eventually going to trade away all that talent

[ Edited by crzy on Jun 6, 2009 at 07:47:25 ]

Not Roy Halladay,he sucks
Well since we already have Santana , I'd take Zack Greinke.
Zack Greinke pitched lights out last night against Toronto
Originally posted by King49er:
Not Roy Halladay,he sucks

LOL If this was for next 5 years Halliday would certainly have to be in the discussion.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Originally posted by jrg:

Not Matt Morris!!!

Thats Adam Wainwright
Share 49ersWebzone