LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 413 users in the forums

Alex Smith's potential...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Sabrason:
Originally posted by imoDvoris:
Smith is not a "good" qb right now. Last in offense, slow reading and reacting, long windup, doesn't seem to have the natural instinct to elude quickly to extend plays (see Ben dodging sacks yesterday for example). No denying those facts.
Now he is the youngest starting qb in the league so there is some hope but come two or three years from now when contract renewal time comes and this situation has only maginally improved, then management will have to make a move one way or the other.

Couldn't agree more with your first paragraph but I can't see them waiting another 2 or 3 yrs (giving Smith 5-7 yrs to show any signs of becoming a decent qb) even if that means keeping him on the team but benching him in favor of someone else before then. With Nolan on borrowed time as it is even the Yorks are not likely to do that.

4 OC's or not, it should not take that long for a #1 qb to produce on the field. P. Manning for example was much further along his developement and already showing signs of greatness at the same point in his career.

True but Peyton Manning played in more games at this point in his career thus having more experience at this poiont in his career.

And what is this "long windup" did we sign Fatwhich or am I missing something?
"True but Peyton Manning played in more games at this point in his career thus having more experience at this poiont in his career."

As if Smith had the additional experience of playing the 7-8 games he missed last year it would've made a big difference? I highly doubt it. Smith was given every opportunity BEFORE his injury to show something on the field and didn't. Manning played more games but only b/c he didn't sustain a season-ending injury midway through. He had more things going for him with the Colts but he was also clearly faaaar more talented than Smith, still is and will always be. In other words, everything else the same, put Manning behind the same niner OL and you would see a drastically improved offense just like we saw with noodle-arm Hill.

I think that refers to Smith's not-so-quick release which accompanies his many other inherent faults as a qb that have contributed to the dismal failure that he has been.
[ Edited by Sabrason on May 30, 2008 at 7:32 PM ]
"True but Peyton Manning played in more games at this point in his career thus having more experience at this poiont in his career."
As if Smith had the additional experience of playing the 7-8 games he missed last year it would've made a big difference? I highly doubt it. Smith was given every opportunity BEFORE his injury to show something on the field and didn't. Manning played more games but only b/c he didn't sustain a season-ending injury midway through. He had more things going for him with the Colts but he was also clearly faaaar more talented than Smith, still is and will always be. In other words, everything else the same, put Manning behind the same niner OL and you would see a drastically improved offense just like we saw with noodle-arm Hill.

I think that refers to Smith's not-so-quick release which accompanies his many other inherent faults as a qb that have contributed to the dismal failure that he has been.

Hey duuuuuude what's gooooin oooooonnnn.
[ Edited by Ceadderman on May 30, 2008 at 8:06 PM ]
Quote:

I call bull$hit in the bolded statement. I saw plenty of flashes in 2006 during his full year under Turner (the only year in which you can fairly evaluate him IMO) to convince me that there is something there. I barely remember the details of his rookie year so it doesn't taint my judgement and 2007 was a total write-off for many reasons.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on May 30, 2008 at 10:32 PM ]
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Quote:

I call bull$hit in the bolded statement. I saw plenty of flashes in 2006 during his full year under Turner (the only year in which you can fairly evaluate him IMO) to convince me that there is something there. I barely remember the details of his rookie year so it doesn't taint my judgement and 2007 was a total write-off for many reasons.

Hence the above pic Bro.
[ Edited by Ceadderman on May 31, 2008 at 7:54 AM ]
Originally posted by djutberg:
It would help if the WR's held on to a few passes also

Djax
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
Originally posted by djutberg:
It would help if the WR's held on to a few passes also

Djax

Gilmore.

Manning came in on a much more talented team than Alex inherited,so that argument is just plain irrelevant.If you put Peyton behind that sorry line we had last year,he would not have finished the year.We had serious pass protection problems coming from straight up the middle.It improved slightly after Smiley was pulled from the lineup.When Hill came in for Dilfer was about the best blocking that we got out of the line,they gave him much more time to throw than Alex got even in the games we won with him.The fact that we had so many different qb's starting because of injuries should tell you that no qb would have been successful behind out joke of an oline last year.Alex is the best qb on our roster,even with the problems he has.I hope Martz is the answer,cause so far Alex has been given a raw deal by our organization.
I would rather have a person that takes chances playing the QB position than someone who plays it safe.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Is one of the reasons why Martz came here. I wonder if JTO does indeed start, then Martz & Tollner can solely help Alex along with NO PRESSURE TO WIN NOW. Alex has under his belt 3 seasons of inconsistancy ranging from offensive system to WR cores & ofcourse Jim the uber suck Hostler as a QB coach. Alex is still young & they may try to buy him some time. This is all theory of course.

Originally posted by Nes49:
Is one of the reasons why Martz came here. I wonder if JTO does indeed start, then Martz & Tollner can solely help Alex along with NO PRESSURE TO WIN NOW. Alex has under his belt 3 seasons of inconsistancy ranging from offensive system to WR cores & ofcourse Jim the uber suck Hostler as a QB coach. Alex is still young & they may try to buy him some time. This is all theory of course.

Whats frustrating is the season hasnt even begun and we're already talking about "next year."

• Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Whats frustrating is the season hasnt even begun and we're already talking about "next year."

It's not over....
Who dug out this old thread??
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Who dug out this old thread??

Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

It's not over....

With JT at the helm...we're not winning more the 7 or 8 games. Alex will be released or traded and next year we'll have to draft yet ANOTHER QB.

So trust me...its over.
Share 49ersWebzone