LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

Alex Smith's potential...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnbrew88:
is just that. A potential.

how you doing zilla? long time no see buddy. I was able to watch resident evil 3 online thanks to your website.

Damn dirty pirate. Watch out for those feds at your door!
  • Brew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Originally posted by qnbrew88:
is just that. A potential.

how you doing zilla? long time no see buddy. I was able to watch resident evil 3 online thanks to your website.

Damn dirty pirate. Watch out for those feds at your door!

I'm innocent. My friend zilla however....
....I see comments about resident evil
Originally posted by 949ersrule:
I was reading a post (sorry for not quoting the person who wrote it),quoting that polamalu said that alex was playing the game safe and trying not to throw an interception, not taking any chances. I also watched tony romo last night and remembered how he started off hot last year, then was picked off a bunch of times and how now he is having a great year. I personally envisioned Alex playing like tony romo is now, being elusive, not taking his eyes off the down field recievers, running, and throwing on the run. I'm thinking that Alex smith will never reach his potential because he plays it safe ie, he will never know what type of throws he can and can't make because he never attempts them during a game and doesn't take any chances. (note the pick that he had was because there was miscommunication on the reciever and alex's part, not because it was a tough throw). I think that throwing interceptions is crucial in a qb's development to know what he can an can't do physically...and the fact that alex doesn't throw any and is usually under 200yds passing might be preventing him from developing. What do you guys think?

Wow dude, that was a great and thoughtfull post. I totally agree
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
HE IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE IS.......

NowinNolan Picture should be in there !
Alex Smith has all the physical tools to be a great quarterback. He has the brains to be a great quarterback. The problem with Alex Smith is that he cannot -- for whatever reason -- tie his physical tools to his brains. Will he ever be able to? I don't know. Honestly, I doubt it.
Originally posted by 949ersrule:
I was reading a post (sorry for not quoting the person who wrote it),quoting that polamalu said that alex was playing the game safe and trying not to throw an interception, not taking any chances. I also watched tony romo last night and remembered how he started off hot last year, then was picked off a bunch of times and how now he is having a great year. I personally envisioned Alex playing like tony romo is now, being elusive, not taking his eyes off the down field recievers, running, and throwing on the run. I'm thinking that Alex smith will never reach his potential because he plays it safe ie, he will never know what type of throws he can and can't make because he never attempts them during a game and doesn't take any chances. (note the pick that he had was because there was miscommunication on the reciever and alex's part, not because it was a tough throw). I think that throwing interceptions is crucial in a qb's development to know what he can an can't do physically...and the fact that alex doesn't throw any and is usually under 200yds passing might be preventing him from developing. What do you guys think?

Wouldn't you be cautious if your WR couldn't catch any passes? Think about it, he has throw the ball well in certain situations and then the WRs drop the ball or get picked off. You can't tell me that our WRs have helped the situation, they are killing his confidence as well! How would you feel if you throw a GREAT ball and the WR drops it, s**t I would feel like crap. No one is helping this guy, not the WR or the coaches.

Now we have Martz and some WR, things will get better...
I remember in that seattle game he threw this deep pass to djack (underthrown) but god damn dude still f**king dropped it!
I also remember an absolutely perfect 50-yard rainbow that went right through Antonio Bryant's hands in the endzone. I also remember a 40 yard fast-ball thrown on a line to Vernon Davis which was clearly too hot to handle. I also remember an out to the opposite side which covered about 35 yards on a line to Arnez Battle, a throw at least half the starting QB's in the league simply cannot make.

I know many here will simply not agree, but to this long-time Niner fan, Smith's long passes look like John Brodie throws and if you ever saw Brodie play, you know he had a beast of an arm. And, to me, many of his sideline shots get out there so quickly, they remind me of Elway throws.

Please don't base your opinions on the accuracy or strength of his throws on last season. I hate to break it to you guys, but most of the time when a QB has dislocated his throwing shoulder, it's injured reserve and the season's over. I think the kid is too tough for his own good.

Originally posted by Method:
I remember in that seattle game he threw this deep pass to djack (underthrown) but god damn dude still f**king dropped it!

then djack BLAMED Alex...
Alex will succeed, if not this year with the 49ers then with another team. He will not be kind to Nolan in his memoirs.
Originally posted by rapid4:
Alex will succeed, if not this year with the 49ers then with another team. He will not be kind to Nolan in his memoirs.

lol he'll pull a Scott McClellan
alex smith is the man!!!
Originally posted by imoDvoris:
Smith is not a "good" qb right now. Last in offense, slow reading and reacting, long windup, doesn't seem to have the natural instinct to elude quickly to extend plays (see Ben dodging sacks yesterday for example). No denying those facts.
Now he is the youngest starting qb in the league so there is some hope but come two or three years from now when contract renewal time comes and this situation has only maginally improved, then management will have to make a move one way or the other.

Couldn't agree more with your first paragraph but I can't see them waiting another 2 or 3 yrs (giving Smith 5-7 yrs to show any signs of becoming a decent qb) even if that means keeping him on the team but benching him in favor of someone else before then. With Nolan on borrowed time as it is even the Yorks are not likely to do that.

4 OC's or not, it should not take that long for a #1 qb to produce on the field. P. Manning for example was much further along his developement and already showing signs of greatness at the same point in his career.
[ Edited by Sabrason on May 30, 2008 at 6:17 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone