There are 228 users in the forums

Alex Smith's potential...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ldussan
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Joecool:
Why do we keep comparing Alex Smith to Romo, Farve, E. Manning, V. Young, Brady or any other QB who's physical throwing abilities completely surpass Alex Smiths' physical throwing ability.

All of those other QBs have that innovation, that added creativity, the arm strength, and the quick release that we have NEVER, and I mean NEVER seen from Alex Smith. Since we have NEVER seen this from Smith, don't expect him to slide to his left, look to his right and throw a quick dart to a receiver running from left to right.

If there is one QB to compare Alex Smith to, compare him to Drew Breese. He doesn't drop your jaw with his abilities of throwing the ball, he doesn't get very creative when in the pocket, and you don't see him with the ball out there creatively shifting with traffic around him and making dart-like throws.

Alex Smith, if anything, has the potential to be a Drew Breese type of QB, but with better running ability. NOT better scrambling ability, but better running ability.

People let me make this clear, Alex Smith at no point in his college career, draft, or during the season has ever been branded by anybody as not having an arm. In fact he's been said on many occasions by many an analyst that he's got a cannon for an arm. His ARM is not a problem please let's get over that and move on.
  • Bsyde82
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ldussan:
Why do we keep comparing Alex Smith to Romo, Farve, E. Manning, V. Young, Brady or any other QB who's physical throwing abilities completely surpass Alex Smiths' physical throwing ability.

All of those other QBs have that innovation, that added creativity, the arm strength, and the quick release that we have NEVER, and I mean NEVER seen from Alex Smith. Since we have NEVER seen this from Smith, don't expect him to slide to his left, look to his right and throw a quick dart to a receiver running from left to right.

If there is one QB to compare Alex Smith to, compare him to Drew Breese. He doesn't drop your jaw with his abilities of throwing the ball, he doesn't get very creative when in the pocket, and you don't see him with the ball out there creatively shifting with traffic around him and making dart-like throws.

Alex Smith, if anything, has the potential to be a Drew Breese type of QB, but with better running ability. NOT better scrambling ability, but better running ability.

People let me make this clear, Alex Smith at no point in his college career, draft, or during the season has ever been branded by anybody as not having an arm. In fact he's been said on many occasions by many an analyst that he's got a cannon for an arm. His ARM is not a problem please let's get over that and move on.

actually ron jaworski aka Jaws on espn has noted several times in the past that alex's passes just doesn't have the zip of an elite qb, especially on deeper out routes

not saying i agree w/ him, because i haven't been able to observe enough, and im not an expert on passing abilities by any means, but just sayin what ive heard

i think his arm strength is adequate, not great, but thats not his main prob...its his inability to hang in the pocket, make reads, and make plays on the fly
Originally posted by ReturnOfTheDon:
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
ppl said the same things about the QB on the other side of the field on sunday,
when he was a young QB (big ben.)
he is really starting to come into his own now tho.
i know you are tired of hearing this,
but alex is STILL very young,
and when he first came into the league he was EXTREMELY RAW
as a passer.
we really do have to be patient.
he is getting there.
he will continue to get better,
especially as we add more potent WRs in the future.
we all know that the trio of d.jax, battle and t.jacobs
still leaves 'something to be desired' in the WR corp.
most other good QBs in the league have at least one guy
who will catch a less than perfectly thrown ball,
break a couple tackles and take it to the house.
when's the last time you saw that from one of our guys?
you cant put that all on alex.

he's playing well enough for the time being,
considering where he came from.
he will continue to improve.
you'll be glad he's a niner someday real soon.

Big Ben was polished out of college and never played like a scared b*tch like Alex. Granted he definitely had better supporting cast. We should be kicking ourselves in the head for picking Alex Smith overall #1. Im sorry Donovan McNabb was right about the whole black/white QB, You really think Smith would got of picked if he was black #1 overall being EXTREMELY RAW? I think not. Bottomline is that Alex Smith is a future journey man QB. You see Vince Young last night, You see Tony Romo the other night. We need a QB with balls like that. Not a scared chihuahua

you do know that t.romo is in his 5TH YEAR AT 27 YEARS right?
if we can only save this thread for 3 years when alex will be 26 in his 6th year,
we'll see who's right. plus we have no TO on this team for alex to throw to.
big ben WAS INDEED POLISHED coming out of college.
that's my point.
college is where QBs get their training.
big ben was prepared better during his college career
than was alex who ran the spread in college.
that is why we shouldnt be surprised if the learning curve is more steep with alex.
that is why nolan is being more patient with alex.
that is what ppl mean when they say alex was RAW.
he needed more polishing that almost any #1 overall pick.
mcnolan was able to look inside alex and see the player he could be in the future.
that is who they drafted.
they player he can/will be.
they liked what they saw.
so do i.
  • wizeazz
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by sachie23:
Great post. I don't ever see Alex being like Romo though. I feel like Smith is very robotic. Romo is a gunslinger and has an awareness you can't teach. He is always looking for the big play and I think Alex is always looking for the safe play.
A lot of this crap is becoming cliche' Robotic? He looks like a quarterback that is looking to get hit on every play! He's going to be fine! Have any of you people played or coached quarterbacks? I have!
Alex needs to do more "no huddle" or 2 minute drill type...Anything!...That leash around his neck is too tight. Is he speaking up at practice and too Nolan? How much freedom and say does he has? He should know what he is good at and what he needs more work at. He needs to start producing now!
as a passer.
he is getting there.

Big Ben was polished out of college and never played like a scared b*tch like Alex. Granted he definitely had better supporting cast. We should be kicking ourselves in the head for picking Alex Smith overall #1. Im sorry Donovan McNabb was right about the whole black/white QB, You really think Smith would got of picked if he was black #1 overall being EXTREMELY RAW? I think not. Bottomline is that Alex Smith is a future journey man QB. You see Vince Young last night, You see Tony Romo the other night. We need a QB with balls like that. Not a scared chihuahua

if we can only save this thread for 3 years when alex will be 26 in his 6th year,
that's my point.
that is why we shouldnt be surprised if the learning curve is more steep with alex.
mcnolan was able to look inside alex and see the player he could be in the future.
so do i.

Point is you dont take a player who is EXTREMELY RAW #1 OVERALL!!!!! Wtf are you talking about Romo and his 5th year. He sat on the bench all those years. No game experience, very little in pre season. I was talking about the fact that he has the fearless instinct. Alex Smith doesnt have that. I know he is your blonde haired blue eye all american kind of guy, but he sucks. He will never be the worth the top pick.

He will be a journey man QB like Steve Deberg. Good for some games, but not reliable for the long term. Bottomline if we had patience and waited til the 2006 draft, I gaurantee we would look at better on O.
[ Edited by ReturnOfTheDon on Sep 26, 2007 at 9:49 AM ]
by the way, have you guys ever seen alex pump-fake or look off a safety? i sure haven't
  • lachesis
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 949ersrule:
by the way, have you guys ever seen alex pump-fake or look off a safety? i sure haven't

He doesn't pump-fake very often, but he looks off safeties plenty.
Originally posted by lachesis:

That is how he hit that TD pass for Jacobs last week. He was looking right and at the last second looked left and Jacobs was open.

The pump fake is not really used by a lot of QBs in the NFL. Most of them just quickly shift their shoulders and people consider that a "pump fake". Realistically, the only guys I see consistently doing realy pump fakes are Favre and McNabb.
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Sep 26, 2007 at 12:36 PM ]
  • lachesis
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by lachesis:

That is how he hit that TD pass for Jacobs last week. He was looking right and at the last second looked left and Jacobs was open.

The pump fake is not really used by a lot of QBs in the NFL. Most of them just quickly shift their shoulders and people consider that a "pump fake". Realistically, the only guys I see consistently doing realy pump fakes are Favre and McNabb.

Ratburger pump fakes all the time too.

• dj43
Originally posted by ldussan:

I remember both Kevin Lynch and Matt Maiocco saying that Smith "was making all the throws" in training camp. The only knock was that the timing was off on some deep throws.

But yes, there were no statements that indicated he did not have an NFL arm. Maybe not the howitzer of Brett Favre but who does?
  • tysenboy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by darkknight49:
One thing I am noticing is that Alex is getting very frustrated. It is only a matter of time before he just explodes and goes off on someone. He may be a nice guy, but one can only take so much. I truly believe that if this ever happens, it will be a turning point in his career.

Remember when Steve Young went off with the coaches in the game against the eagles ( I think it was the year they won the Super Bowl ). He got pulled out of the game, he was terrible all game. That was the turning point for him, after that the rest is history, he grew and never looked back and developed into a great QB. Alex WILL reach a point when he will let off his steam, and it may be during a game or at a pratice, or even after a game, but it is coming and it very well may be a turning point for him.
  • BlackDiamond
  • Info N/A
Alex is a growing pain. However, if any of you have the answer for a quick fix. Please apply for the coaching job. It is not too late. I guarantee none of you would last for a day.
as a passer.
he is getting there.

that's my point.
so do i.

I'm not sure, but I think I see a haiku somewhere in this post . . .
Smith=Joey Harrington pt. II the mo money version
Share 49ersWebzone