There are 256 users in the forums

Alex Smith's potential...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
You guys are really over analyzing. Smith will come into his own and he'll be fine.
montana didnt have the strongest arm, he wasn't a very fast runner, he was short. BUT HE WAS A WINNER..

potential everyone has... but there have been qb's with guns for arms, could run like the wind, but couldn't win in this league and are gone.

i guess its a waiting game..
I agree he should take chances but not stupid ones. Remember we partly won the first two games by not turning the ball over a bunch of times. Alx is managing the game not really winning it. (except the last drive against the cards)

their are some people saying to get the mistakes out early. Throw the interceptions now rather than later. If he throws them no and let say through 8 weeks he has 3 td's and 10 int's what the hell do you think that will do to his confidence and our teams record.

He is doing fine and needs help from the running game and the WR's catching the ball. Slowly but surely he and the coaches will start taking chances but only when the time is right.

so for right now i am happy with Smith. He is playing decent ball and needs his surrounding cast to step up and hlp him play great ball.
Originally posted by ldussan:
I think during that touchdown drive Alex showed what he is going to be in the future. He went down the field with precision and confidence that I have not seen in a long long time.

He's about to blow up!

I don't want to be the team that gets blown up on.

I think the most telling drive was the opening drive. Everything clicked on that drive, though it stalled in the redzone. The playcalling was great, though obviously scripted. If he can learn to call plays that creatively on the fly it will help. Alex made good QUICK decisions, and nice throws. After that drive they pulled the reigns in, or maybe just couldnt be as creative with the play calling after their script was used up, and Alex struggled a bit after that. So I think if they just unleash him, he'll surprise some people.
all the good teams right now (indy, NE) have qb's who let it fly. how long do we baby this qb. big deal an interception.. we are NOT going to win the super bowl this year anyway.

Steelers 37, Niners 16
At least the Niners spread it around. They allowed one passing touchdown, one rushing touchdown, one special teams touchdown and one defensive touchdown. One other problem: Mike Nolan got more zip on his toss of the challenge flag — all the way to the defensive huddle! — than Alex Smith did on most of his throws.

that was what fox says today.
  • PennState49er
  • Info N/A
First, I'll state my position:

I'm worried that Alex will be a bust.

Second,:

Do you think Nolan should start playing Dilfer when Alex is struggling? Do you think that will light a fire under his ass? I think it's worth a shot. Alex has shown that he's a competitor, and I love that he was yelling at his team the other day (I was at the game in Pitt, and you could see him doing it on the sideline also). Maybe this is what he needs? That's why drafting a QB mid-draft next year might do him well. If nothing changes, well then we have another option.

Let me here you veterans! Get your torches and your pitchforks!
Originally posted by PennState49er:
First, I'll state my position:

I'm worried that Alex will be a bust.

Second,:

Do you think Nolan should start playing Dilfer when Alex is struggling? Do you think that will light a fire under his ass? I think it's worth a shot. Alex has shown that he's a competitor, and I love that he was yelling at his team the other day (I was at the game in Pitt, and you could see him doing it on the sideline also). Maybe this is what he needs? That's why drafting a QB mid-draft next year might do him well. If nothing changes, well then we have another option.

Let me here you veterans! Get your torches and your pitchforks!

You can look at that two ways.

1.) Alex takes the benching and comes back better than ever with something to prove.

2.) From that point on he is constantly looking over his shoulder, thinking if he makes a mistake he is going to get pulled. and that is never good for a QB.
pennstater... hey im from New Castle, Pa. originally.....

they won't because of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..

arizona did it, they want to win... although they didnt they showed some BALLS.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for tradeDown.
well what year can we Yank him if he is stinking up the place. the right thing would have been to sit him year one.. we played him, almost got him killed, and he looked terrible. then he was injured and watched as rattay, pickett, and dorsey all outplayed him.

we paid him 50 bazillion bucks.. suck it up and learn..

warner came in for leinart and lit it up.. why do we even have dilfer ?? do we really have that many clipboards to carry ? he has a qb coach, an OC who was his qb coach, nolan, etc...

i think alex is improving.. and it will take time (probably right to when we have to decide to resign him to another HUGE contract - cuz you know he aint takin less)

the niners are to blame also... changing OC's with a new QB every year is destructive.. but it does give them MORE EXCUSES...
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
ppl said the same things about the QB on the other side of the field on sunday,
when he was a young QB (big ben.)
he is really starting to come into his own now tho.
i know you are tired of hearing this,
but alex is STILL very young,
and when he first came into the league he was EXTREMELY RAW
as a passer.
we really do have to be patient.
he is getting there.
he will continue to get better,
especially as we add more potent WRs in the future.
we all know that the trio of d.jax, battle and t.jacobs
still leaves 'something to be desired' in the WR corp.
most other good QBs in the league have at least one guy
who will catch a less than perfectly thrown ball,
break a couple tackles and take it to the house.
when's the last time you saw that from one of our guys?
you cant put that all on alex.

he's playing well enough for the time being,
considering where he came from.
he will continue to improve.
you'll be glad he's a niner someday real soon.

Big Ben was polished out of college and never played like a scared b*tch like Alex. Granted he definitely had better supporting cast. We should be kicking ourselves in the head for picking Alex Smith overall #1. Im sorry Donovan McNabb was right about the whole black/white QB, You really think Smith would got of picked if he was black #1 overall being EXTREMELY RAW? I think not. Bottomline is that Alex Smith is a future journey man QB. You see Vince Young last night, You see Tony Romo the other night. We need a QB with balls like that. Not a scared chihuahua

Originally posted by sachie23:
Great post. I don't ever see Alex being like Romo though. I feel like Smith is very robotic. Romo is a gunslinger and has an awareness you can't teach. He is always looking for the big play and I think Alex is always looking for the safe play.

Exactly good point. Romo is like a Young/Favre Hybrid. Not saying is good like them. Just saying he has legs to run. and a gunslinging arm like Favre. And to think they had him on the bench all this time. I know he as TO, but that 17 on the other side isnt a star and he seems to find him well. We dropped the ball by picking Smith. Cant trade the pick? So what. Dont get a QB that has never played under center, barely threw the ball in high school and in college ran a gimmick offense. Thats is TOO RAW to pick #1 OVERALL. Remember we wouldnt be all over Smith if he wasnt picked that high. Pick Braylon Edwards, and chose from the better crop of QB's in 2006 if we couldnt trade the pick
only a change in coaching will help Alex.... there is no way he will reach his potential with Nolan at the controls.... Nolan is far too conservative.... and does not have a creative mindset.... nor will he allow it.... Marty Schottenheimer appears imaginative compared to Nolan.... Bring in Jeff Tedford or Jason Garrett and we will be much better off.... we need to make the correct decision here.... we can find another Nolan anywhere.... guys like Tedford and Garrett are special
my feeling is that if you are going to pay for the #1 qb in the draft, you have the right coaching in place for at least 2-3 years, not change every year. see how fast the guy left to coach GB after his first year, and norv, and now we have our old qb coach hostler as OC.. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR coaching wise.
  • ldussan
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by selfsurf24:
great post. I can't say what you have already said any better. Look at Favre, so many picks yet so many TD's. In a press conference he was talking about taking risks and not worrying about interceptions, that they come along with touchdowns. That is why Brett Favre is going to the HOF

Yes but Brett Favre is such a bad example for A Smith to follow. Personally it might be on the TOO many interception side. Favre has lost a lot of games he could have won if he just threw the dang ball away.
Why do we keep comparing Alex Smith to Romo, Farve, E. Manning, V. Young, Brady or any other QB who's physical throwing abilities completely surpass Alex Smiths' physical throwing ability.

All of those other QBs have that innovation, that added creativity, the arm strength, and the quick release that we have NEVER, and I mean NEVER seen from Alex Smith. Since we have NEVER seen this from Smith, don't expect him to slide to his left, look to his right and throw a quick dart to a receiver running from left to right.

If there is one QB to compare Alex Smith to, compare him to Drew Breese. He doesn't drop your jaw with his abilities of throwing the ball, he doesn't get very creative when in the pocket, and you don't see him with the ball out there creatively shifting with traffic around him and making dart-like throws.

Alex Smith, if anything, has the potential to be a Drew Breese type of QB, but with better running ability. NOT better scrambling ability, but better running ability.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 25, 2007 at 1:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone