LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 158 users in the forums

Alex Smith's potential...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 949ersrule:
Originally posted by Getrdun9ers:
Is everyone forgetting that Romo was on the bench for 3 F--KIN YEARS!!! BEFORE he played a game? He had time to sit there and watch and learn. Romo has already been in the league for 6 years. Alex is entering his 3rd... You can't compare the two right now. Wait until Alex is in his 6th season, and then, ONLY THEN can you compare them. And if you wanna get technical... you STILL can't compare them. Give Alex that line that Romo has, give Alex those WR's that Romo has, and I'm willing to be he would do better.

....you forgot to add that Alex was the first pick in the draft, led his team to the bcs, got his econ degree in 2 yrs, scored high on his wonderlic exam... and romo? oh by the way, last night romo was running for his life as much as alex was. Perhaps even more. What do you mean we can't compare them? of course we can! We compare people all the time.

There on two completely different teams... with two completely different systems. It's like a gay guy trying to compare p--sy. It's just not gonna make sense.

ok buddy

Yeah we should only compare people who are on the same team and have been in the league for the same amount of time and are the same type of player.
I was reading a post (sorry for not quoting the person who wrote it),quoting that polamalu said that alex was playing the game safe and trying not to throw an interception, not taking any chances. I also watched tony romo last night and remembered how he started off hot last year, then was picked off a bunch of times and how now he is having a great year. I personally envisioned Alex playing like tony romo is now, being elusive, not taking his eyes off the down field recievers, running, and throwing on the run. I'm thinking that Alex smith will never reach his potential because he plays it safe ie, he will never know what type of throws he can and can't make because he never attempts them during a game and doesn't take any chances. (note the pick that he had was because there was miscommunication on the reciever and alex's part, not because it was a tough throw). I think that throwing interceptions is crucial in a qb's development to know what he can an can't do physically...and the fact that alex doesn't throw any and is usually under 200yds passing might be preventing him from developing. What do you guys think?

A QB needs to have TRUST in his receivers in order to let everything go and not worry about being picked off. What have the receivers done to earn that trust?

When they stop dropping easy ON THE MONEY passes and start running their routes right, then Alex will stop playing safe.

Oh yeah, he also has to have TIME to plant his feet before he throws instead of needing to get the ball out of his hand because he's about to be annihilated.
Originally posted by Common:
You guys complaining about Alex, it could be worse. We could have Rex or Brees....

??? It could be worse, you could be a saints or a bears fan...we have 5 sb trophies, we're used to winning...let's not change that, because when we change our expectations, so will the players and the organization.
  • ldussan
  • Info N/A
I am honestly completely befuddled by the people who don't see the improvement in Alex. Even Nolan said it was his best game so far.

Average arm??? WTF, he's got a cannon and he's just getting bigger.

Average accuracy??? Are you watching the same games we are?
Originally posted by ldussan:
I am honestly completely befuddled by the people who don't see the improvement in Alex. Even Nolan said it was his best game so far.

They watch but actually see very little, my friend.
  • Brew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:

he's playing well enough for the time being,
considering where he came from.

Bingo. Utah isnt exactly a QB school
  • redngoldnmyveins
  • Info N/A
Is everyone forgetting that Romo was on the bench for 3 F--KIN YEARS!!! BEFORE he played a game? He had time to sit there and watch and learn. Romo has already been in the league for 6 years. Alex is entering his 3rd... You can't compare the two right now. Wait until Alex is in his 6th season, and then, ONLY THEN can you compare them. And if you wanna get technical... you STILL can't compare them. Give Alex that line that Romo has, give Alex those WR's that Romo has, and I'm willing to be he would do better.

WHAT IF WE COMPARE HIM WITH VINCE YOUNG.......vince did not need three seasons to show that he is a very intelligent QB....WE NEED TO GET REAL...ALEX IS NOT AS GOOD AS WE TOUGHT...THE 49ERS JERSEY IS TO MUCH FOR HIM.......Im STILL MISSING JEFF GARCIA......
HE IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE IS.......

Yes, I would say his arm strength and accuracy are about average. Name me some starters Alex has stronger arm strength than. There are a few, but not a lot, he is probably in the middle of the pack. I don't think Alex is a bad QB, and I think he will be a pretty good QB, just not great.
Well I think you guys would agree that we don't want Alex out there being reckless with the ball but I want to see him take control of a game. And I think to a certain extent he's trying to. But turnovers are never a good thing. I don't want to see them at all. I think the blame for the stagnant offense rests on the supporting cast more so than Alex. The offensive line protected him pretty well for the most part but they haven't been opening up many rushing lanes for Frank Gore to run through. Thats a big problem that needs to be solved NOW. The wideouts need to be better as well. I haven't seen them consistently get seperation. Thats a must. I think Alex is doing fine. But overall improvement is still needed.

great post. I can't say what you have already said any better. Look at Favre, so many picks yet so many TD's. In a press conference he was talking about taking risks and not worrying about interceptions, that they come along with touchdowns. That is why Brett Favre is going to the HOF
  • 49ers41510
  • Info N/A

i couldnt agree with you more, he looks like a good qb who is slowly becoming great. by the end of the year no one will be saying hes a bust anymore

....you forgot to add that Alex was the first pick in the draft, led his team to the bcs, got his econ degree in 2 yrs, scored high on his wonderlic exam... and romo? oh by the way, last night romo was running for his life as much as alex was. Perhaps even more. What do you mean we can't compare them? of course we can! We compare people all the time.

Well, if you know something about Owens, you know why Romo has great stats even when he runs for his life... just ask Garcia (probowler when he had Owens).
  • Couch_montana
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49ers:
I was reading a post (sorry for not quoting the person who wrote it),quoting that polamalu said that alex was playing the game safe and trying not to throw an interception, not taking any chances. I also watched tony romo last night and remembered how he started off hot last year, then was picked off a bunch of times and how now he is having a great year. I personally envisioned Alex playing like tony romo is now, being elusive, not taking his eyes off the down field recievers, running, and throwing on the run. I'm thinking that Alex smith will never reach his potential because he plays it safe ie, he will never know what type of throws he can and can't make because he never attempts them during a game and doesn't take any chances. (note the pick that he had was because there was miscommunication on the reciever and alex's part, not because it was a tough throw). I think that throwing interceptions is crucial in a qb's development to know what he can an can't do physically...and the fact that alex doesn't throw any and is usually under 200yds passing might be preventing him from developing. What do you guys think?

great post...

I would agree.. if you notice, after the pick, Alex seemed more confident and poised as he drove and threw that TD... he was probably relieved that he got the pick out of the way.

I think the coaches are to blame. This shows that they are not confident in him, and he is scared to disappoint them.

If they just let him fly, he will soar I think.

They should just let him make a bunch of mistakes early, so that he can find his own rhythm and go from there. It's not helping to handcuff him and keep him in fear.

You may be right, maybe he was trying to hard not to throw an int.. but since he threw that first one, maybe the gloves are off so to speak.
I think Smith's still afraid of screwing up if he takes chances and ends up making a bad decision. He's only 23 Y/O!! I also think it's the coaches fault as they definitely keep him reeled in on a tight leash. Not having a WR who can break tackles and move up the field is a huge problem also not to mention the bad case of butterfingers going around.

Mike GO NINERS!!
Share 49ersWebzone