LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Alex Smith's potential...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • utah49er
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Alex has tons and tons of potential, and if it asnt for the receivers for dropping passes, Alex would have like 4 or 5 TD's.

Yeah what he said!
  • nevek
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Alex has tons and tons of potential, and if it asnt for the receivers for dropping passes, Alex would have like 4 or 5 TD's.

Sorry... I havn't seen 4 or 5 sure TD passes dropped, most of his endzone attempts end up, out of the back of the endzone. He may have 4 or 5 more receptions, granted.... but there is no way to determine them as TD's.
  • ldussan
  • Info N/A
I think during that touchdown drive Alex showed what he is going to be in the future. He went down the field with precision and confidence that I have not seen in a long long time.

He's about to blow up!

I don't want to be the team that gets blown up on.
Smith is not a "good" qb right now. Last in offense, slow reading and reacting, long windup, doesn't seem to have the natural instinct to elude quickly to extend plays (see Ben dodging sacks yesterday for example). No denying those facts.
Now he is the youngest starting qb in the league so there is some hope but come two or three years from now when contract renewal time comes and this situation has only maginally improved, then management will have to make a move one way or the other.
Is everyone forgetting that Romo was on the bench for 3 F--KIN YEARS!!! BEFORE he played a game? He had time to sit there and watch and learn. Romo has already been in the league for 6 years. Alex is entering his 3rd... You can't compare the two right now. Wait until Alex is in his 6th season, and then, ONLY THEN can you compare them. And if you wanna get technical... you STILL can't compare them. Give Alex that line that Romo has, give Alex those WR's that Romo has, and I'm willing to be he would do better.
Originally posted by Getrdun9ers:
Is everyone forgetting that Romo was on the bench for 3 F--KIN YEARS!!! BEFORE he played a game? He had time to sit there and watch and learn. Romo has already been in the league for 6 years. Alex is entering his 3rd... You can't compare the two right now. Wait until Alex is in his 6th season, and then, ONLY THEN can you compare them. And if you wanna get technical... you STILL can't compare them. Give Alex that line that Romo has, give Alex those WR's that Romo has, and I'm willing to be he would do better.

....you forgot to add that Alex was the first pick in the draft, led his team to the bcs, got his econ degree in 2 yrs, scored high on his wonderlic exam... and romo? oh by the way, last night romo was running for his life as much as alex was. Perhaps even more. What do you mean we can't compare them? of course we can! We compare people all the time.
Originally posted by 949ersrule:

....you forgot to add that Alex was the first pick in the draft, led his team to the bcs, got his econ degree in 2 yrs, scored high on his wonderlic exam... and romo? oh by the way, last night romo was running for his life as much as alex was. Perhaps even more. What do you mean we can't compare them? of course we can! We compare people all the time.

There on two completely different teams... with two completely different systems. It's like a gay guy trying to compare p--sy. It's just not gonna make sense.

There on two completely different teams... with two completely different systems. It's like a gay guy trying to compare p--sy. It's just not gonna make sense.

ok buddy
Alex has potential.. "we just need to give him time"...

1. larry allen is probably about done.
2. jennings probably gone, def. not worth the money paid
3. baas (will he ever live up to his POTential)

heitmann, kwame, etc.. are they ever going to be top notch lineman ?

my thinking is we can wait.. but our oline will probably be even worse in the next few years with the loses mentioned above. singletary will probably leave the defense after this season, byoung about done although he plays 100%.

so just as alex is reaching his potential, we may have a hard time protecting him, or better go get more in free agency (ie. not another jennings).

no line, no run, no pass.....
  • Donnies9ers
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49ers:
I was reading a post (sorry for not quoting the person who wrote it),quoting that polamalu said that alex was playing the game safe and trying not to throw an interception, not taking any chances. I also watched tony romo last night and remembered how he started off hot last year, then was picked off a bunch of times and how now he is having a great year. I personally envisioned Alex playing like tony romo is now, being elusive, not taking his eyes off the down field recievers, running, and throwing on the run. I'm thinking that Alex smith will never reach his potential because he plays it safe ie, he will never know what type of throws he can and can't make because he never attempts them during a game and doesn't take any chances. (note the pick that he had was because there was miscommunication on the reciever and alex's part, not because it was a tough throw). I think that throwing interceptions is crucial in a qb's development to know what he can an can't do physically...and the fact that alex doesn't throw any and is usually under 200yds passing might be preventing him from developing. What do you guys think?

great post...

I would agree.. if you notice, after the pick, Alex seemed more confident and poised as he drove and threw that TD... he was probably relieved that he got the pick out of the way.

I think the coaches are to blame. This shows that they are not confident in him, and he is scared to disappoint them.

If they just let him fly, he will soar I think.

They should just let him make a bunch of mistakes early, so that he can find his own rhythm and go from there. It's not helping to handcuff him and keep him in fear.

I agree. I think when you let him throw, it backs off the pressure and will alow the running game to pick up.I liked the play to Robinson and it would be sweeter to Gore.I wonder if the play calling would improve if Hostler was up stairs and Nolan managed the field.I was relieved to see him in the gun.It took long enough I also hope he starts making more plays with his feet.

Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
What are you guys talking about?? he has taken chances.. In the 05 Season!!!! 1td 11int in his rookie year, he took chances on every throw. Some say sitting qb rookies help in year 1, well Alex didnt sit. Maybe thats why he plays the game so safe? idk. I am probably the biggest A.Smith fan and supporter, but im starting to think Alex doesnt have it. That 'it' factor. We have all seen 'it' out of him before ex. @ SEA, v.s AZ last drive, but he hasnt really shown it on a consistent game.. Im pulling, and rooting that he has a great all around game soon.. ex. 24-30 300yds 3td 0int.

We saw the friggin "it" factor when???

WHEN HE THREW THE BALL!!!

Arizona's last drive was almost ALL throws.
The Pittsburg drive where we got a TD was almost ALL throws.
The Seattle drive last year where he threw a TD to Vernon, that was mostly throws I think.

I agree with the original poster. Alex will never learn if he does not throw and throw aggressively. Guys like Manning and Favre don't give a damn what people think, they just go out and play their ass off and take chances etc. They sling the ball and let their receiver make the play.

Alex actually did this a few times against the Rams, but the receivers could not catch the ball.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
What are you guys talking about?? he has taken chances.. In the 05 Season!!!! 1td 11int in his rookie year, he took chances on every throw. Some say sitting qb rookies help in year 1, well Alex didnt sit. Maybe thats why he plays the game so safe? idk. I am probably the biggest A.Smith fan and supporter, but im starting to think Alex doesnt have it. That 'it' factor. We have all seen 'it' out of him before ex. @ SEA, v.s AZ last drive, but he hasnt really shown it on a consistent game.. Im pulling, and rooting that he has a great all around game soon.. ex. 24-30 300yds 3td 0int.

We saw the friggin "it" factor when???

WHEN HE THREW THE BALL!!!

Arizona's last drive was almost ALL throws.
The Pittsburg drive where we got a TD was almost ALL throws.
The Seattle drive last year where he threw a TD to Vernon, that was mostly throws I think.

I agree with the original poster. Alex will never learn if he does not throw and throw aggressively. Guys like Manning and Favre don't give a damn what people think, they just go out and play their ass off and take chances etc. They sling the ball and let their receiver make the play.

Alex actually did this a few times against the Rams, but the receivers could not catch the ball.

1. arizona had the LEAGUES worst defense in 06
2. PITTSBURGH - not a bad game, but until it was about done, he had like 96 yards passing.

3. seattle - when ? last season..

i blame some of this on the revolving OC's in SF. Dont bring in someone to teach the rook if he isnt going to stick around.
Good topic. I agree with the original poster that Alex doesn't take chances and this is hurting his development as well as the team. I don't know if this is, because the coaches don't have trust in him so they don't let him take chances or if Alex Smith just doesn't want to throw in to any type of coverage. It is frustrating seeing someone like Vince Young with less experience already making the big throws and fulfilling his potential. Physically I don't think Smith has the potential to be great. His arm strength is at best average and same goes for his accuracy.
You guys complaining about Alex, it could be worse. We could have Rex or Brees....
Originally posted by Common:
You guys complaining about Alex, it could be worse. We could have Rex or Brees....

Agreed.
Share 49ersWebzone