There are 277 users in the forums

Alex Smith's potential...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was reading a post (sorry for not quoting the person who wrote it),quoting that polamalu said that alex was playing the game safe and trying not to throw an interception, not taking any chances. I also watched tony romo last night and remembered how he started off hot last year, then was picked off a bunch of times and how now he is having a great year. I personally envisioned Alex playing like tony romo is now, being elusive, not taking his eyes off the down field recievers, running, and throwing on the run. I'm thinking that Alex smith will never reach his potential because he plays it safe ie, he will never know what type of throws he can and can't make because he never attempts them during a game and doesn't take any chances. (note the pick that he had was because there was miscommunication on the reciever and alex's part, not because it was a tough throw). I think that throwing interceptions is crucial in a qb's development to know what he can an can't do physically...and the fact that alex doesn't throw any and is usually under 200yds passing might be preventing him from developing. What do you guys think?
  • 49ers
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 949ersrule:
I was reading a post (sorry for not quoting the person who wrote it),quoting that polamalu said that alex was playing the game safe and trying not to throw an interception, not taking any chances. I also watched tony romo last night and remembered how he started off hot last year, then was picked off a bunch of times and how now he is having a great year. I personally envisioned Alex playing like tony romo is now, being elusive, not taking his eyes off the down field recievers, running, and throwing on the run. I'm thinking that Alex smith will never reach his potential because he plays it safe ie, he will never know what type of throws he can and can't make because he never attempts them during a game and doesn't take any chances. (note the pick that he had was because there was miscommunication on the reciever and alex's part, not because it was a tough throw). I think that throwing interceptions is crucial in a qb's development to know what he can an can't do physically...and the fact that alex doesn't throw any and is usually under 200yds passing might be preventing him from developing. What do you guys think?

great post...

I would agree.. if you notice, after the pick, Alex seemed more confident and poised as he drove and threw that TD... he was probably relieved that he got the pick out of the way.

I think the coaches are to blame. This shows that they are not confident in him, and he is scared to disappoint them.

If they just let him fly, he will soar I think.

They should just let him make a bunch of mistakes early, so that he can find his own rhythm and go from there. It's not helping to handcuff him and keep him in fear.
[ Edited by 49ers on Sep 24, 2007 at 2:23 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers:

great post...

I would agree.. if you notice, after the pick, Alex seemed more confident and poised as he drove and threw that TD... he was probably relieved that he got the pick out of the way.

I think the coaches are to blame. This shows that they are not confident in him, and he is scared to disappoint them.

If they just let him fly, he will soar I think.

I agree also. We need to open things up. Ive only seen 3 or 4 WR sets 5 times in 3 games this year. Spreading it out would not only help the passing game but the running game also.
It would help if the WR's held on to a few passes also
Does physical throwing ability have anything to do with this? Hello, McFly!

Actually he threw a couple passes yesterday that i thought were very very dificult throws im with you though that the coaches need to let him loose and see what happens.
I hope DJ plays well against the shehawks this week,we need the wideouts to hold on to the ball so the defense cannot run blitz every down.Alex has plenty of potential to be a excellent qb,the guys just have to help him out.
Great post. I don't ever see Alex being like Romo though. I feel like Smith is very robotic. Romo is a gunslinger and has an awareness you can't teach. He is always looking for the big play and I think Alex is always looking for the safe play.
One thing I am noticing is that Alex is getting very frustrated. It is only a matter of time before he just explodes and goes off on someone. He may be a nice guy, but one can only take so much. I truly believe that if this ever happens, it will be a turning point in his career.
How much of Smith's progress is his fault and/or the coaches around him. I would have to point the finger at both of them, someone needs to take a chance. We are either running the ball or throwing the ball to damn much. Yesterday I saw this gun slinger, that was wanting to throw the ball but where. We have to rethink who's fault this whole thing lies on. Receivers, coaches, and the QB are all at fault. I was disappointed with the red zone production and the lack of ANY good recieving threats. I wish Smith would plant and throw the ball, don't worry man. You will be out soon enough if you want to play it safe.

Originally posted by darkknight49:
One thing I am noticing is that Alex is getting very frustrated. It is only a matter of time before he just explodes and goes off on someone. He may be a nice guy, but one can only take so much. I truly believe that if this ever happens, it will be a turning point in his career.

Yeah. After that interception he was p**sED. After that he was probably thinking: "We will f**king score on this f**king drive."

He needs to think like that more often.
ppl said the same things about the QB on the other side of the field on sunday,
when he was a young QB (big ben.)
he is really starting to come into his own now tho.
i know you are tired of hearing this,
but alex is STILL very young,
and when he first came into the league he was EXTREMELY RAW
as a passer.
we really do have to be patient.
he is getting there.
he will continue to get better,
especially as we add more potent WRs in the future.
we all know that the trio of d.jax, battle and t.jacobs
still leaves 'something to be desired' in the WR corp.
most other good QBs in the league have at least one guy
who will catch a less than perfectly thrown ball,
break a couple tackles and take it to the house.
when's the last time you saw that from one of our guys?
you cant put that all on alex.

he's playing well enough for the time being,
considering where he came from.
he will continue to improve.
you'll be glad he's a niner someday real soon.
What are you guys talking about?? he has taken chances.. In the 05 Season!!!! 1td 11int in his rookie year, he took chances on every throw. Some say sitting qb rookies help in year 1, well Alex didnt sit. Maybe thats why he plays the game so safe? idk. I am probably the biggest A.Smith fan and supporter, but im starting to think Alex doesnt have it. That 'it' factor. We have all seen 'it' out of him before ex. @ SEA, v.s AZ last drive, but he hasnt really shown it on a consistent game.. Im pulling, and rooting that he has a great all around game soon.. ex. 24-30 300yds 3td 0int.
  • nevek
  • Info N/A
[
Quote:
quote=949ersrule]I was reading a post (sorry for not quoting the person who wrote it),quoting that polamalu said that alex was playing the game safe and trying not to throw an interception, not taking any chances. I also watched tony romo last night and remembered how he started off hot last year, then was picked off a bunch of times and how now he is having a great year. I personally envisioned Alex playing like tony romo is now, being elusive, not taking his eyes off the down field recievers, running, and throwing on the run. I'm thinking that Alex smith will never reach his potential because he plays it safe ie, he will never know what type of throws he can and can't make because he never attempts them during a game and doesn't take any chances. (note the pick that he had was because there was miscommunication on the reciever and alex's part, not because it was a tough throw). I think that throwing interceptions is crucial in a qb's development to know what he can an can't do physically...and the fact that alex doesn't throw any and is usually under 200yds passing might be preventing him from developing. What do you guys think?

This is pretty much, what I have been talking about.... and being blasted by others for saying. You see these other QB's with less experience taking chances, and having convidence in themselves. Throwing into single coverage, and allowing the reciever to make a play. Can the ball be intercepted of coarse it could, but the reciever always has the advantage, with a well placed ball. I watched Romo stand tall in the pocket, knowing he was going to take a shot, complete a TD pass to his reciever in 1 on 1 coverage.
This year the Oline is performing inconsistantly, I realize this, but when Smith feels the slightest bit of pressure he runs 10 yrds back, is this the coaches fault ? I think some qualities in a player are not taught, they are part of a players make up, and Smith seems hesitant, and seems to lack the ability to process his progressions. I suppose he has time to improve, but so do all the other teams.
If the 49ers continue to play " not to lose " this year we will be lucky to match last years win total. We may need to try rotating Kwame back into the mix because this Oline has no chemistry.
Alex has tons and tons of potential, and if it asnt for the receivers for dropping passes, Alex would have like 4 or 5 TD's.
Share 49ersWebzone