LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 402 users in the forums

Roster Outlook Going into 2018

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Interior offensive line is not a good value position for earlier rounds in the draft. It's mainly a scheme and execution position. That's how Denver was able to trot out journeymen and open gaping holes in the late 90s/early 00s.

Here's another reminder: This was the 49ers' 1998 offensive line - where Garrison Hearst set a then-franchise record 1570 yards rushing no 5.1 yards per carry - in terms of where they were drafted when they came out:

LT: Dave Fiore (UDFA)
LG: Ray Brown (8th round)
C: Chris Dalman (6th round)
RG: Kevin Gogan (8th round)
RT: Derrick Deese (UDFA)

(Kirk Scrafford, UDFA)

And this is every bit as true today as it was back then. The Patriots have had a revolving door of crap on the offensive line and done fine.

This doesn't mean you don't tinker with the offensive line a little, but there's no way you waste a 1st round pick on freak'n Quentin Nelson with the needs this team has at other positions.
Originally posted by Karma:
So, the wife is sick in bed and the little boy is in toy overload mode right now, so I decided to take some time to think about the team roster going forward. Excitement for this team is at a four year high, and for good reason, but Jimmy G is not the only thing that is going to lead to a playoff run next year. Much speculation will be done this offseason as to what free agents we will pursue and how we will approach the draft. I figured it was a good time to assess what we have.

QBs:
  • Current - Jimmy Garoppolo and C.J. Beathard
  • Keepers - Both. If Lynch let's Garoppolo walk after this season, he will be chased out of town. Beathard is a capable, hard-working back-up who comes cheap for the next three years.
  • Bubble - None
  • Toss - None
  • Need - Extremely Low. It's never a bad idea to keep bringing in arms through the draft, but the future looks extremely bright for this position.

RBs:
  • Current - Carlos Hyde, Matt Breida, Kyle JuszczykJeremy McNichols, Joe Williams (IR), Raheem Mostert (IR)
  • Keepers - Matt Breida, Kyle Juszczyk
  • Bubble - Carlos Hyde, Joe Williams, Raheem Mostert, Jeremy McNichols
  • Toss - None
  • Need - Medium-High. Juszczyk has been the pro-bowl player we expected and looks to be a bigger part of the offense going forward. Breida looks like, at worst, an exciting secondary back. He runs hard, has good speed, and seems to fit the system even better than Hyde at times. Add his dirt cheap contract and he is a lock for the roster. Carlos Hyde, however, is the most polarizing player on the team. There is no arguing he is a quality back, but is he right for the system? Is he worth the contract he will probably demand? We'll see. He obviously wants to be back, but is it a good decision? He has been unspectacular even as the team has soared, but that could be a symptom of a ragged offensive line. The team is flush with cash, but they are going to have to shell out big for Jimmy G. It might make more sense to let Hyde walk and bring in cheaper options. Joe Williams is the biggest question mark. He was Shanahan's pick but he ended up on the IR mostly to stash him because he wasn't ready as a rookie. If he can take a leap then Hyde becomes even more expendable. Raheem Mostert beat him out in the preseason, mainly because of his special teams ability. He has some good qualities, but can he actually add something to the run game? We'll see. Ultimately, The team would benefit from bringing in at least one rookie to push the roster.

WRs:
  • Current - Pierre Garcon (IR), Marquise Goodwin, Aldrick Robinson, Trent Taylor, Kendrick Bourne, Louis Murphy, Max McCaffrey, Victor Bolden (IR), Aaron Burbridge (IR)
  • Keepers - Pierre Garcon, Marquise Goodwin, Trent Taylor
  • Bubble - Aldrick Robinson, Kendrick Bourne, Max McCaffrey, Victor Bolden,
  • Toss - Louis Murphy, Aaron Burbridge,
  • Need - Medium-High. I can't wait to see Jimmy G throwing to Garcon. Garcon was well on his way to a pro-bowl season with Beathard and Hoyer throwing to him. Goodwin has stepped into the number one role nicely and Trent Taylor makes 3rd and 5 a guaranteed first down. These three should make a solid starting trio. Kendrick Bourne has come on in the last few games and is probably the strongest WR on the bubble. He has a big body, long arms, and excellent hands. I'm pretty excited about his future. Robinson has been a bit of a disappointment. I thought he would step up when Garcon went down, but he has been virtually invisible. The rest of the bubble guys have a pretty big hill to climb to get on the roster next year. The team needs a young star to push the vets at the top.

TEs:
  • Current - Garrett Celek, George Kittle, Logan Paulsen, Cole Hikutini (IR)
  • Keepers - Garrett Celek and George Kittle
  • Bubble - Logan Paulsen and Cole Hikutini
  • Toss - None
  • Need - Low. Celek and Kittle have both proven to be solid blockers and pass catchers. Each has also shown some chemistry with Jimmy G. Paulsen is a journeyman who could be cut and resigned a few times without concern. Hikutini showed promise and has big upside. The only knock on this group is that there is no "superstar" player. I thinking drafting a TE early would be a luxury for another year, but if a guy blows them away, let's get the weapons!

OTs:
  • Current - Joe Staley, Trent Brown (IR), Gary Gilliam (IR), Erik Magnuson (IR), Zane Beadles
  • Keepers - Joe Staley, Trent Brown
  • Bubble - Gary Gilliam, Erik Magnuson,
  • Toss - Zane Beadles
  • Need - Low. Staley and Brown are extremely good starters. Staley is on the latter half of his career, and Brown is an up and coming stud. The two should be a great pairing for a few more years. Gilliam's work was short lived, but he would be a solid swing tackle if the team decided to resign him. The issue would be money. Magnuson proved he was tough and might make Gilliam a non-issue. Please get rid of Beadles. They could look to the draft for a development project, but there is no sense in drafting a guy high just to sit for 2+ years.

OGs:
  • Current - Brandon Fusco, Laken Tomlinson, Joshua Garnett (IR)
  • Keepers - Joshua Garnett?
  • Bubble - Brandon Fusco
  • Toss - Laken Tomlinson
  • Need - Extremely High. Garnett has been tasked with remaking his body to fit the scheme better. Next year will be his make or break year. Fusco has been somewhat solid, but he is a back-up at best on a good offensive line. Tomlinson has been at least marginally better than his predecessors, but there is no way we start he and Fusco again if we are seeking the playoffs. This unit is probably the biggest need on the team. No one would complain if all new faces manned this unit next year.

Cs:
  • Current - Daniel Kilgore and Tim Barnes
  • Keepers - None
  • Bubble - Daniel Kilgore and Tim Barnes
  • Toss - Both (Hopefully)
  • Need - High. Kilgore has been a source of criticism for years. Zuttah and Barnes were brought in to push him out but neither could beat him. Both of these guys are free agents and the team is better off just starting over with new faces.

DTs:
  • Current - DeForest Buckner, Earl Mitchell, Sheldon Day, D.J. Jones, Chris Jones (IR)
  • Keepers - DeForest Buckner, Earl Mitchell, Sheldon Day
  • Bubble - D.J. Jones, Chris Jones
  • Toss - None
  • Need - Extremely Low. Buckner is the cornerstone of this defense. Mitchell is a stout vet who plays the run well. Day is a really solid rotation guy. Both of the bubble guys could easily make the roster if needed. Add on the fact that Armstead might be better off in the middle and Solomon Thomas can also fill in, this unit doesn't figure to be a need area.

DEs:
  • Current - Solomon Thomas, Elvis Dumervil, Ronald Blair, Tank Carradine, Leger Douzable, Cassius Marsh, Aaron Lynch, Arik Armstead (IR)
  • Keepers - Solomon Thomas
  • Bubble - Elvis Dumervil, Ronald Blair, Tank Carradine, Leger Douzable, Cassius Marsh, Arik Armstead
  • Toss - Aaron Lynch
  • Need - High. It is no secret that this team needs more pass rush. Thomas has played the run well and made a few appearances at the QB, but he is not the pass rusher many had hoped for. Dumervil can still get it every once and awhile, but he might be too old, expensive, and slow to resign. Marsh has played well since being claimed and has a great chance to be back. Armstead still has not found his place on the line. Carradine and Blair both have better qualities for the 4-3, but have yet to distinguish themselves. Lynch is the only guy who has no business coming back. Terrible work ethic, no character, and a suspension waiting to happen. Ultimately, finding an elite pass rusher is the biggest need for this defense.

LBs:
  • Current - Reuben Foster, Eli Harold, Brock Coyle, Dekoda Watson, Elijah Lee, Mark Nzeocha, Pita Taumoepenu, Malcolm Smith (IR), Donavin Newsom (IR), Jimmie Gilbert (IR)
  • Keepers - Reuben Foster, Malcolm Smith, Brock Coyle
  • Bubble - Dekoda Watson, Elijah Lee, Pita Taumoepenu, Donavin Newsom, Jimmie Gilbert
  • Toss - Eli Harold, Mark Nzeocha
  • Need - Medium High. Foster is another building block of this defense. Smith was brought in to be the long-term answer at the SAM position. Those two could or should be starters next year. Coyle has played well this year, but he is better as a special teams ace. Watson is another special teamer who has done a decent job when called upon. The rest of the bubble guys are rookies who could play their way on to the roster now that they have some experience, but it would be huge for this defense to add another sideline to sideline thumper to pair with Foster. Can we all agree that we have seen enough of Eli Harold being blocked into obscurity?

Safeties:
  • Current - Eric Reid, Adrian Colbert, Jaquiski Tartt (IR), Jimmie Ward (IR), Dexter McCoil, James Chanceller (IR), Don Jones (IR)
  • Keepers - Adrian Colbert, Jaquiski Tartt, Jimmie Ward
  • Bubble - Eric Reid, Dexter McCoil, James Chanceller, Don Jones
  • Toss - None
  • Need - Medium. Eric Reid will be a tough decision. He will be a free agent and might command a big salary and he has played well this year, but he still struggles some in coverage and still has a huge history of concussions. I think they stick with him, especially because he brings leadership to a young squad. Many of you are sold on Colbert as the answer at FS. I just don't see it. I think he is a really solid back-up, but he is just not the "eraser" the team needs back there. Tartt really improved last year until the broken arm and might be ready to take a starting spot. Ward wasn't terrible as the FS, but he wasn't great either. He still brings value to the secondary, but the team needs to figure out where. I'd still like to see the team get an Earl Thomas like player to shut down the middle of the field, but that might be a luxury next year. In the mean time, this group should be serviceable.

CBs:
  • Current - Ahkello Witherspoon, K'Waun Williams Dontae johnson, Antone Exum, Greg Mabin, Leon Hall, Tyvis Powell, Asa jackson (IR)
  • Keepers - Ahkello Withersppon, K'Waun Williams
  • Bubble - Greg Mabin, Tyvis Powell, Asa Jackson
  • Toss - Leon Hall, Antone Exum
  • Need - Extremely High. Witherspoon looks like the real deal. Williams is the slot CB we have needed for years. After that, the cupboard is bare. Johnson had the nice pick 6, but that was luck rather than skill. He has been disappointing as a starter. The young guys like Mabin and Powell will get a shot to improve in the offseason, but this unit is in desperate need of a talent transfusion. If they don't use one of the top three picks on CB, the front office is crazy. The team needs to find a CB to pair with Witherspoon, fast.

Roster needs in order:

1. OG - Shanahan's offense is predicated on running the ball and using play-action to open up the passing game. Even while the team has been on this incredible hot streak, the running game has sputtered. Talent at this position cannot be compromised and right now there is none.
  2. CB - A great pass rush can hide the flaws in coverage, but this team doesn't have that either. They desperately need a guy who can shutdown an opposing receiver.
  3. LEO/DE - The team's run defense has been stellar, but they still need a guy who can get to the QB.
  4. C - This position could be lumped into the OG need. There should be a few veterans in free agency who can come in and improve this team.
  5. WR - Jimmy G has done well with what the team has, but imagine how amazing it would be to have a game-breaker!
  6. LB - Foster needs a running mate.
  7. RB - There are plenty of question marks on this unit. It would make sense to keep pushing competition.
  8. Safety - The team could get by with what they have, especially if they resign Reid, but they could use a true eraser back there.
  9. OT - Finding Staley's replacement will becoming more pressing in the coming years.
  10. TE - The group we have is really solid, but you can never turn down an upgrade if we see one.
  11. DT - Who is going to be pissed if they draft a DT in the first round?
  12. QB - It feels damn good to have our guy!

This is the first post I agree with. I just don't understand why some fans want to draft Barkley in the first round. Not going to lie, I've only seen him played once and that was against Michigan. If I can recall, he dropped some crucial passes in that game. I'm pretty sure he can be good but RB is not our priority in my opinion.
I don't understand all the cap repercussions but I agree Robinson, Beadles aren't earning their keep. I can also see Elvis being at risk, given how much he makes. Never been a fan of Gilliam, but they need some OL and CB talent. I actually think WR can wait, given what JG has done with who is on the team now.

I would like to see Hyde and Reid back, but only for a reasonable price. Ward, at $8M+, won't be with us long at that price.

Thanks for all the work in the analysis.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Good stuff Karma.

Safeties:
Current - Eric Reid, Adrian Colbert, Jaquiski Tartt (IR), Jimmie Ward (IR), Dexter McCoil, James Chanceller (IR), Don Jones (IR)
Keepers - Adrian Colbert, Jaquiski Tartt, Jimmie Ward
Bubble - Eric Reid, Dexter McCoil, James Chanceller, Don Jones
Toss - None
Need - Medium

I'd say low priority for S. Tartt had already won the SS spot over Reid before the broken forearm and Colbert's speed, range, angles and work ethic have been heaven sent. He also would have had 3 INT's if not for that damn cast. Ward has proven beyond any reasonable doubt that he can't make it through a season no matter where he plays. His $8.5M could be used for far more important positions. Reid is gone in FA. Chancellor will return and back up. We'll draft a developmental FS.

Or they could ask Ward to play corner again. That's absolutely a possibility. Adrian Colbert is the real deal. His range is incredible, better than Tartts who can be used to play closer to the LOS. Reid is savvy but as the young ones get more experience, Reid become more expendable - additionally has concussion baggage. S is absolutely a low need. Tartt, Ward, Colbert make up a great set of players there. Ward is a health risk and the team can ask him to take a pay cut.

Ward could play corner and that would at least give us two corners and a slot guy (along with Ward who can also play the slot). They could just not pick up the fifth year option (I think that decision has been made already) and just resign him to a team friendly deal. Or even a one-year prove it deal. As Tartt and Colbert gain more experience, maybe Reid does become expendable, but I say wait. Ideally, I'd like Reid around for 2 more seasons minimum.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Good stuff Karma.

Safeties:
Current - Eric Reid, Adrian Colbert, Jaquiski Tartt (IR), Jimmie Ward (IR), Dexter McCoil, James Chanceller (IR), Don Jones (IR)
Toss - None
Need - Medium

I'd say low priority for S. Tartt had already won the SS spot over Reid before the broken forearm and Colbert's speed, range, angles and work ethic have been heaven sent. He also would have had 3 INT's if not for that damn cast. Ward has proven beyond any reasonable doubt that he can't make it through a season no matter where he plays. His $8.5M could be used for far more important positions. Reid is gone in FA. Chancellor will return and back up. We'll draft a developmental FS.

Or they could ask Ward to play corner again. That's absolutely a possibility. Adrian Colbert is the real deal. His range is incredible, better than Tartts who can be used to play closer to the LOS. Reid is savvy but as the young ones get more experience, Reid become more expendable - additionally has concussion baggage. S is absolutely a low need. Tartt, Ward, Colbert make up a great set of players there. Ward is a health risk and the team can ask him to take a pay cut.

Ward could play corner and that would at least give us two corners and a slot guy (along with Ward who can also play the slot). They could just not pick up the fifth year option (I think that decision has been made already) and just resign him to a team friendly deal. Or even a one-year prove it deal. As Tartt and Colbert gain more experience, maybe Reid does become expendable, but I say wait. Ideally, I'd like Reid around for 2 more seasons minimum.

For $8.5M I'd rather buy an actual CB in FA...someone who could play 16 games. I just don't see a spot on the team for him anymore.

But maybe he's like Eli Harold and just finds a way to stick.
[ Edited by Aj_hwd954 on Dec 25, 2017 at 5:37 PM ]
Originally posted by darockzillahitman:
Interior offensive line is not a good value position for earlier rounds in the draft. It's mainly a scheme and execution position. That's how Denver was able to trot out journeymen and open gaping holes in the late 90s/early 00s.

Here's another reminder: This was the 49ers' 1998 offensive line - where Garrison Hearst set a then-franchise record 1570 yards rushing no 5.1 yards per carry - in terms of where they were drafted when they came out:

(Kirk Scrafford, UDFA)

And this is every bit as true today as it was back then. The Patriots have had a revolving door of crap on the offensive line and done fine.

This doesn't mean you don't tinker with the offensive line a little, but there's no way you waste a 1st round pick on freak'n Quentin Nelson with the needs this team has at other positions.

This was true in the past but now the opposite is true. It is now difficult to find interior lineman and these positions are becoming a premium. Salaries bear this out.
  • dj43
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Good stuff Karma.

Safeties:
Toss - None
Need - Medium

For $8.5M I'd rather buy an actual CB in FA...someone who could play 16 games. I just don't see a spot on the team for him anymore.

But maybe he's like Eli Harold and just finds a way to stick.
Prince Amukamara, Johnathan Joseph and Brent Grimes are in that range and rank just below Witherspoon. Are you willing to spend that on any of those?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
Expect another 20-30% more roster turnover this offseason.
I would think that's a typical roster percentage turnover every year? Anyway, I would agree with that percentage.

Personally, get a good young free agent center in the Alex Mack kind of mould (Center for Atlanta) and I'll be happy with that kind of O Line upgrade.
Ummm we need a RB as well. Not sold on Hyde...

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by darockzillahitman:

(Kirk Scrafford, UDFA)

This was true in the past but now the opposite is true. It is now difficult to find interior lineman and these positions are becoming a premium. Salaries bear this out.

I'm hoping Kyle and company can find that young under appreciated over looked O Lineman that fits Kyle's zone run. That might save us a bit on cap space. Trent Brown and Staley look like locks at the tackle positions, so that solves a big part of the O Line puzzle. Between the two guards and centers, I think the center is the more important one to find good talent. Specially if Hyde stays as one of the key players on the RB corps.
Well thought out and agree on most of it with some additional thoughts:

WRs:
Current - Pierre Garcon (IR), Marquise Goodwin, Aldrick Robinson, Trent Taylor, Kendrick Bourne, Louis Murphy, Max McCaffrey, Victor Bolden (IR), Aaron Burbridge (IR)Keepers - Pierre Garcon, Marquise Goodwin, Trent TaylorBubble - Aldrick Robinson, Kendrick Bourne, Max McCaffrey, Victor Bolden,Toss - Louis Murphy, Aaron Burbridge,Need - Medium-High. I can't wait to see Jimmy G throwing to Garcon. Garcon was well on his way to a pro-bowl season with Beathard and Hoyer throwing to him. Goodwin has stepped into the number one role nicely and Trent Taylor makes 3rd and 5 a guaranteed first down. These three should make a solid starting trio. Kendrick Bourne has come on in the last few games and is probably the strongest WR on the bubble. He has a big body, long arms, and excellent hands. I'm pretty excited about his future. Robinson has been a bit of a disappointment. I thought he would step up when Garcon went down, but he has been virtually invisible. The rest of the bubble guys have a pretty big hill to climb to get on the roster next year. The team needs a young star to push the vets at the top.

If the Niner get a true #1, I wouldn't be surprised seeing the Possible new #1, Garcon and Goodwin as the 1, 2 and 3 with Taylor being the #4.

Safeties:
Current - Eric Reid, Adrian Colbert, Jaquiski Tartt (IR), Jimmie Ward (IR), Dexter McCoil, James Chanceller (IR), Don Jones (IR)Keepers - Adrian Colbert, Jaquiski Tartt, Jimmie WardBubble - Eric Reid, Dexter McCoil, James Chanceller, Don JonesToss - NoneNeed - Medium. Eric Reid will be a tough decision. He will be a free agent and might command a big salary and he has played well this year, but he still struggles some in coverage and still has a huge history of concussions. I think they stick with him, especially because he brings leadership to a young squad. Many of you are sold on Colbert as the answer at FS. I just don't see it. I think he is a really solid back-up, but he is just not the "eraser" the team needs back there. Tartt really improved last year until the broken arm and might be ready to take a starting spot. Ward wasn't terrible as the FS, but he wasn't great either. He still brings value to the secondary, but the team needs to figure out where. I'd still like to see the team get an Earl Thomas like player to shut down the middle of the field, but that might be a luxury next year. In the mean time, this group should be serviceable.

I like the idea of keeping Reid as a hybrid and a back up to Tartt. Not sure if he will command much. Teams might be afraid to sign him because of his stance on supporting Kap and the National Anthem.

TEs:
Current - Garrett Celek, George Kittle, Logan Paulsen, Cole Hikutini (IR)Keepers - Garrett Celek and George KittleBubble - Logan Paulsen and Cole HikutiniToss - NoneNeed - Low. Celek and Kittle have both proven to be solid blockers and pass catchers. Each has also shown some chemistry with Jimmy G. Paulsen is a journeyman who could be cut and resigned a few times without concern. Hikutini showed promise and has big upside. The only knock on this group is that there is no "superstar" player. I thinking drafting a TE early would be a luxury for another year, but if a guy blows them away, let's get the weapons!

I think Kittle comes alive from here on out. He's looking faster as he learns the offense. Celek has always impressed me as a smart player and will make the 2 TE set effective.
I'd take care of the offense needs first and amplify the Jimmy G effect. A great offense can cover up alot of defensive issues. I think you have to build the team with the expectation of playing from ahead alot and build the roster accordingly, specifically starting with the interior OL trio. Protect the franchise and power the run game so we can burn clock once we're ahead. It's probably not realistic but I want to see an entirely new interior OL trio next season. Forget about Garnett, scheme fits are like different languages. He's not going to be able to change the skillset he was born with. Otherwise I think we're at the offensive skill positions. RB is the biggest question mark, but there's really no concern that whoever we play at RB will get the job done because of Shanny's long history of successful ground game.

On defense, the one and only priority is an edge rusher. Everything else is secondary. Low key, I would like to add another stud at LB because there's no way Foster makes it through an entire season healthy, and whenever he goes down you don't want to be stuck in a situation where you are playing replacement/backup level LBs across the field. There needs to be another stud in the middle level of the defense.

In the secondary, Reid is a goner, the guy just lacks football instincts. Otherwise I think the benefit of playing a simplified scheme is that we should be able to play rookies right away because we're not overloading our DBs with complex schemes, just asking them to play fast.
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
the fact arik armstead and jimmie ward are not tossed off the team i cant take this theead serious
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
the fact arik armstead and jimmie ward are not tossed off the team i cant take this theead serious

I can see it either way with Ward and Armstead, Lynch has no connection to them, and they are marginal starter-quality players, but it may make economic sense to keep them vs. other draft picks / FA substitutes. After all, we still have Carradine and Donte Johnson this year. They'll be gone before Armstead and Ward, IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone