There are 124 users in the forums

Week 1 2017: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Agree with this analysis.

Honestly only thing that surprised/upset me was total lack of production from our DL.

OG is no surprise at all. People keep forgetting that Garnett (our first round OG) is out and Tomlinson was acquired to start but needs time to learn the offense, so Beadles is truly just a backup (who will likely be replaced as soon as Tomlinson is good to start).

All in all it's about as positive as a 20 point home loss can be save for our DL performance. Nothing unexpected, some growing pains in a complex offense and what should be expected when two backup OG face off against a top 3 interior DL which threw off the entire offense all game to compound on the growing pain penalties/miscues.

I don't agree with the "total lack of production from DL".

They shut down the run. Were they getting consistent pressure? No, but thats not who they are. They don't have that elite pass rusher yet. They've got all the other guys. They'll also improve with time. Also....

IMO, the D played well enough to win. The O is where the Lions share of the problems were.

IMO the Panthers interior pass rush was better. How does Buckner make this list and Short doesn't?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
I'm expecting at least 11 more games that look similar to this one. This is not a good team and bad teams look really bad at stretches in games. The offense look fined to me. All the staple shanny stuff was there (zone run, bootleg RO, deep crossers, etc...), it just takes time to get it ironed out. Anyone expecting a real offense to click right at the rip hasn't been paying attention to pro football for the last couple of decades.

However...this game to me will always be the unveiling of Foster. He was beyond the Xs and Os good and I agree if the health stands up will be a star.

Health is what worries me about him. If he can't stay healthy, what good is it to have hall of fame talent when he's sitting on the bench injured. Having said that, there have been some great undersized linebackers that have done well in the NFL. I think if you surround this guy with good talent, he can stay healthier. Good d-lines will protect linebackers from having to constantly take on the guard *and* the RB at the same time. Here's to hoping our D Line can handle the Seadderall offense.
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
They got zero pressure, idgaf what pff says

They got zero pressure in Q3 and 4. You can't expect the defense to save a young team. We knew they had not designated world-beater pass-rusher. That was known. What wasn't was that this offense could only score 3 points because of poor line play.

0 sacks

Statistics are for losers.

If all you focus on is sacks your NEVER going to be happy.

We spent how many first round picks on d lineman? And you're telling me it's ok that none of them even sniffed cams jock all day. Regardless of sacks, which were non-existent, they did not play to their hype or potential. Let's see if it continues....
All these fine edge rushers in this year's draft and we couldnt grab one...
I like in the first paragraph fools gold ! Rome was not built in a day. Need to fix OL . We missed Lynch out there none of the other guys on the DL disruptive as Lynch .
But the good news is 2 folds run D is better, and we are still in the running for the first pick
One of your best posts yet!

Spot on about Hoyer.

Nailed it w/"Patience."

At the beginning of the season my 2 biggest concern were the Secondary and the OLine.

OLine needs help.

Agree they started looking like a real NFL team.

I'm still thinking we'll have incremental improvement and then by mid-season we'll start to gel.

Season One of the "Rebuild" continues.
Originally posted by Boldjames:

Well...if they'd won ONE less game last year they could have walked away with Garrett AND Foster...but thats too depressing to really think about.

Not giving up on Solomon yet. Not by a long shot.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Boldjames:

Well...if they'd won ONE less game last year they could have walked away with Garrett AND Foster...but thats too depressing to really think about.

Not giving up on Solomon yet. Not by a long shot.

I wouldn't give up on anybody after one game in a brand new scheme against an offense that has been together for many years and is one year removed from a Superbowl appearance. Newton being rusty or not that is a tall task for a lot of young players who are all doing new things.
Sounds like there was some good and a lot of bad. Seems like the backfield did well even without a good pass rush. Sounds like the receivers did well overall with some mistakes. Online bad but how did Brown and Staley do? Could someone just go down the list of players and give us a summary of their play?
Have to say that it was about what I expected. Some good, some bad. The offensive scheme is clearly an improvement over what they have had in the past several years, now they just need to get the players to execute it. Penalties continue to be a problem and I was really disappointed that there wasn't more pressure from the front four after all the team has invested in that position over the last three years. I thought Robinson played pretty well and that was an absolutely wicked interception by Tartt though I'm not sure it entirely makes up for the late hit and the number of times that he seemed to be out of position.

Goodwin's speed clearly isn't in doubt but his hands remain an issue. If he has too many more drops like that I would expect to see Bourne or Boldin get an opportunity. I think Kittle has a chance to be an absolute stud at TE, maybe one of the best they have had at the position, will be interested to see how he develops. Foster also has a chance to be very good if he can stay healthy. Don't think I heard Bowman's name called once. It seems like they are starting to get some of the pieces in place. I think this season will be about learning the new schemes and finding out where they still need to improve. I imagine there will be many more games like tonight where they just can't quite get it together but I also suspect that there will be at least a couple where things go the way the are supposed to and the team will look pretty good. Go Niners!!

secondary did pretty good. Never really saw or heard about Rashard which is always a good thing with CBs. Dontae Johnson did good early on but it looked like he got tired in the 4th and kept giving too much room, giving away easy first down catches.

On defense, we really are only missing a true LEO and single high safety. Hopefully when Ward comes back, he can light it up. As for the pass rush, our opposing QBs will be sitting pretty in the pocket.
Marvin, undoubtedly, your best summary ever...maybe write a few more just from being at the game. You got all the high points i saw also, and agree, Reuben is our best player and if healthy, can hold our D up. OG to OG....we are smelly. And Kilgore didn't just call a bad OL game. He blocked like dreck. Couple times the guy over him blew by so fast, kilgore only saw the # on his back. Right up the gut with obvious implication for Hoyer. Agree, those two drops, marquis and au Jus, just really hurt. Right on the money, both passes.

I was worried about the CBs, not the OL. I figured they would get it sorted out ....WRONG....they sorted it out alright. Magnus and Laken need to start ASAP, to see if THEY are the ones. My guess is, Magnus is, but who knows re: Laken. Also there is Theus who can play OG. I truly hope not to see Fusco (really, really bad) nor beadles except for sitting the pine next week. There was nothing good about either of their games. Thing is if that is the case, we still got to get better than kilgore. Horrid game, and whiffs....ugly..

I think we may have 40% of the spare parts at OL. Not sure about CBs. But we have to do better at both. First things first, adn that is to sit fusco, beadles and if possible move Magnus to C. That is tricky because after Magnus and Laken, we just got theus. Our problem....fixing OG...C...OG. Ouch. But that's the first thing to do. As someone noted, the OL screwed up our entire O....duhhhhh....I think we can do 40% better on OL. But i don't think we can do 60% better...meaning this is #1 acquisiton next yr after QB if possible. Even tho i know we have to have 2 CBs...ok, maybe just 1....but we have to fix OL first and that's 3 guys. Again, OUCH.

Great news is that Joe S played well and Trenton did too. '

I wonder if kyle might rethink zone blocking this yr and just go with whatever his OL can give him. Needing 2 OGs and a C...that is big time needs. I truly thought we were better than this, but the center 60% of the OL....is rotten.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Have to say that it was about what I expected. Some good, some bad. The offensive scheme is clearly an improvement over what they have had in the past several years, now they just need to get the players to execute it. Penalties continue to be a problem and I was really disappointed that there wasn't more pressure from the front four after all the team has invested in that position over the last three years. I thought Robinson played pretty well and that was an absolutely wicked interception by Tartt though I'm not sure it entirely makes up for the late hit and the number of times that he seemed to be out of position.

Goodwin's speed clearly isn't in doubt but his hands remain an issue. If he has too many more drops like that I would expect to see Bourne or Boldin get an opportunity. I think Kittle has a chance to be an absolute stud at TE, maybe one of the best they have had at the position, will be interested to see how he develops. Foster also has a chance to be very good if he can stay healthy. Don't think I heard Bowman's name called once. It seems like they are starting to get some of the pieces in place. I think this season will be about learning the new schemes and finding out where they still need to improve. I imagine there will be many more games like tonight where they just can't quite get it together but I also suspect that there will be at least a couple where things go the way the are supposed to and the team will look pretty good. Go Niners!!

What is encouraging for me is that the performances of some of the new players is demonstrating that the new front office seems to have a good idea on the types of players that will fit what they're trying to do in SF under Shanahan. We came out of the draft with a day 1 starter and potential all-pro MLB in Foster, a solid young run stuffing defensive lineman with a high motor (Thomas), and a TE who appears to be a great fit for the offense in Kittle. If just those three continue to improve then we have an extremely successful draft class.

Further, I shudder to think of just how bad SF's offense would have been without the additions of Hoyer and Garcon. Hoyer is not the future but he is the right guy for the transition period.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Sep 11, 2017 at 12:52 PM ]
Great summary and totally agree about the "week one" delusion we've been accustomed to the past couple years. Yesterday was a clear-cut "here's where we are" kind of game.
I do want to add for context, that was not only an excellent defense but one that knows Kyle's offense all too well. Even on bootlegs, there were two in Hoyer's face instantly. They just weren't fooled on anything. I have to tip my hat to their discipline, scheme and execution.
Share 49ersWebzone