LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 152 users in the forums

Week 1 2017: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
I do want to add for context, that was not only an excellent defense but one that knows Kyle's offense all too well. Even on bootlegs, there were two in Hoyer's face instantly. They just weren't fooled on anything. I have to tip my hat to their discipline, scheme and execution.

Yup, that coach was in the super bowl just a couple of years ago. He knows defenses. Kyle, as much as a brilliant OC, that he is, there are HC's that can match him on the defensive side. He just has to learn and grow. Patience is definitely the key here. San Francisco wasn't built in a day, we had to take it from the Spaniards first.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Marvin, undoubtedly, your best summary ever...maybe write a few more just from being at the game. You got all the high points i saw also, and agree, Reuben is our best player and if healthy, can hold our D up. OG to OG....we are smelly. And Kilgore didn't just call a bad OL game. He blocked like dreck. Couple times the guy over him blew by so fast, kilgore only saw the # on his back. Right up the gut with obvious implication for Hoyer. Agree, those two drops, marquis and au Jus, just really hurt. Right on the money, both passes.

I was worried about the CBs, not the OL. I figured they would get it sorted out ....WRONG....they sorted it out alright. Magnus and Laken need to start ASAP, to see if THEY are the ones. My guess is, Magnus is, but who knows re: Laken. Also there is Theus who can play OG. I truly hope not to see Fusco (really, really bad) nor beadles except for sitting the pine next week. There was nothing good about either of their games. Thing is if that is the case, we still got to get better than kilgore. Horrid game, and whiffs....ugly..

I think we may have 40% of the spare parts at OL. Not sure about CBs. But we have to do better at both. First things first, adn that is to sit fusco, beadles and if possible move Magnus to C. That is tricky because after Magnus and Laken, we just got theus. Our problem....fixing OG...C...OG. Ouch. But that's the first thing to do. As someone noted, the OL screwed up our entire O....duhhhhh....I think we can do 40% better on OL. But i don't think we can do 60% better...meaning this is #1 acquisiton next yr after QB if possible. Even tho i know we have to have 2 CBs...ok, maybe just 1....but we have to fix OL first and that's 3 guys. Again, OUCH.

Great news is that Joe S played well and Trenton did too. '

I wonder if kyle might rethink zone blocking this yr and just go with whatever his OL can give him. Needing 2 OGs and a C...that is big time needs. I truly thought we were better than this, but the center 60% of the OL....is rotten.

Good call paso!

Zane's name should be Highway 101 - everyone ran right over him.

Fusco is a turnstile.

Kilgore got owned.

Credit to their OLine - they pass protected very well. They weren't chumps.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
What is encouraging for me is that the performances of some of the new players is demonstrating that the new front office seems to have a good idea on the types of players that will fit what they're trying to do in SF under Shanahan. We came out of the draft with a day 1 starter and potential all-pro MLB in Foster, a solid young run stuffing defensive lineman with a high motor (Thomas), and a TE who appears to be a great fit for the offense in Kittle. If just those three continue to improve then we have an extremely successful draft class.

Further, I shudder to think of just how bad SF's offense would have been without the additions of Hoyer and Garcon. Hoyer is not the future but he is the right guy for the transition period.
Deshone Kizer looked better in his rookie debut. You have a 9 year veteran who failed on two occasions to remember which way the running play went. Also, failing on these two plays to just get rid of the ball or make an attempt to get rid of the ball. Same thing when his primary receiver wasn't open, he failed to check down to anyone else or attempt to get the ball away.
This guy doesn't get a free pass just because everything else was anemic.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I do want to add for context, that was not only an excellent defense but one that knows Kyle's offense all too well. Even on bootlegs, there were two in Hoyer's face instantly. They just weren't fooled on anything. I have to tip my hat to their discipline, scheme and execution.

Basically Carolina has played this offense 4 times in the last 2 years. Yesterday they got to do it without matching up against Julio, Ryan, Freeman, Sanu etc....

There was no surprises schematically and a greatly reduced roster to prepare for.
I still can't get over the sloppiness of the way we played yesterday. Doesn't matter about the scheme on either side we looked awful. We train and prep the whole off season to come out and make those mistakes? Shannahan will start losing his hair soon if we don't clean that up.
Man i really hope tomlinson can be solid for us. That said, would you guys want us to win 4-7 games or be in a prime position to draft or trade up a few spots for darnold or rosen? Because we can't have one without sacrificing the other.
Originally posted by 951NINER:
I still can't get over the sloppiness of the way we played yesterday. Doesn't matter about the scheme on either side we looked awful. We train and prep the whole off season to come out and make those mistakes? Shannahan will start losing his hair soon if we don't clean that up.

Shanahans don't lose their hair, bro. They turn red.

We'll see the effects of the season once Kyle starts looking like his dad.

Here's some advice for those who haven't watched the game yet.

ONLY WATCH THE FIRST QUARTER.

And then shut it off.

This is about what you'd expect from a rebuilding team with two new systems and 56% roster turnover.

It will be a while before we can expect 4 quarters of good play like we saw in 1Q. With time we should start to see 2 good quarters strung together...maybe one good first half.

Even within one good quarter though, we still had 3 penalties, 2 missed blocks that lead to 1 turnover and 2 sacks, 1 blown coverage for a TD and 1 shot at a TD of our own (dropped).

But overall, the running game was there, play action worked, designs were excellent, execution was on point and players stood out (Hyde, Breida, Goodwin, Hoyer, Garcon, CB's, Foster, Mitchell, Buckner, Elvis, Kittle, Juice, Pinion, gunners in Mostert/Colbert, Taylor, etc.).

So you can at least SEE there is real potential there.

But it's going to take all year before we probably see a complete game.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 11, 2017 at 2:19 PM ]
Good one. Ha!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Thats fair, but should also be noted that Saleh did nothing to help them in terms of pressure and I think that was by design...IE "slow" rush, stay in their lanes, and keep players in coverage.

To be honest, I'd expect the same in Seattle.

Should also be noted that for the most part IT WORKED. Both TDs were on short fields after TOs and a lot of the meager yards that Carolina gained were in the second half when fatigue started to play a part from being on the field so long.

Cam did miss some open guys, but it ain't like Cam set them on fire when they didn't pressure him.

This...both scores came off TOs on our side of the field. Did I want sacks on sacks? Hell ya lol, but that interior OL is one of the best in all of football, so it wasn't surprising our young DL learning a new scheme didn't get all those sacks.

We have no edge rushers, which is what hurts Carolina (von Miller SB) and on offense we can handle the rush on the outside with out tackles, but their strength is that DL in the middle which we our interior is clearly trash.

We just didn't matchup well end of the day...live and you learn. SF had a way to go but there's things to like you stated

• dmax
  • Veteran
they got no pass rush whatsoever,,,,newtons jersey was damn near clean at the end of the game
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ltrain:
Originally posted by 9ergang42:
Great way to summarize the game. Patience is the word of the year😉

FIFY

This
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
I think we'll give the Rams a game. We might not win but we'll be competitive. The CAR and SEA games will knock some sense into the team.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Baldie:
I think we'll give the Rams a game. We might not win but we'll be competitive. The CAR and SEA games will knock some sense into the team.

Agreed. Getting our butts kicked from better teams should help us prepare / be ready for teams as average as ours.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dmax:
they got no pass rush whatsoever,,,,newtons jersey was damn near clean at the end of the game

Your full of it...He was stretching his shoulder on the field cause he was bored. So it can't be that clean!
Share 49ersWebzone