LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 243 users in the forums

Dwight Clark has passed away at 61

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Our thots and prayers go out to you, Dwight. From the moment the catch was immortalized in a door sized photo, it hung in my office for all to see until i finally retired in 2001. I saw that pic every day, and always watching that play , play out was in my mind. Cheered me up if i ever got down. Thanks for the memories Dwight, and God bless.

That is just an ugly way to go. .

Very well said. Yes he was so special to so many.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Damn it.

Prayers to Dwight.

I've got a feeling he will beat it.

Sadly, no one beats ALS.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
f**ked up. Death sentence.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
stupid fkn beisbol disease. How he get it anyway? did he play in colledge?

You were joking here right? Anyway, despite ALL of the research no one knows for sure what causes ALS.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

You were joking here right? Anyway, despite ALL of the research no one knows for sure what causes ALS.

yes.

it's fkn terrible. Even if you manage to outlive your expectancy, a'la Stephen Hawking, quality of life is just so s**tty. I'd rather be dead.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Sad to hear.

Avg life expectancy after dx is 2-5 years

There have been people who lived over a decade, but those are the rare lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you look at it) ones.

This is just rough. If he has a doctor-assisted suicide, it would break everyone's hearts, but if he lives through it, it will become torture. There's really no easy way out.

Prayers. It's the least we can do as fans.
Originally posted by mod:
I dumped that ice bucket on my head for nothing!!

Start the "Reenact The Catch" Challenge meme/movement

Two people will donate $$ if they can successfully run sprint right option + catch an overthrown ball at full stretch above their head...

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Sad to hear.

There have been people who lived over a decade, but those are the rare lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you look at it) ones.

This is just rough. If he has a doctor-assisted suicide, it would break everyone's hearts, but if he lives through it, it will become torture. There's really no easy way out.

After watching my friend lose his functions and ultimately pass from ALS, I know that I would want to end my life before it got to the worst stages. No one should have to be put through the torture of this awful disease.
VERY, VERY sad.

• sfout
  • Veteran

Actually, linking ALS and repeated trauma to the head no matter how light has been getting stronger with each study. Scores of former soccer players who played in the days before the modern materials were introduced have been diagnosed with ALS. They're one of the larger groups of "well known" people with ALS.
OMG. That is such horrible sad news. One of my best friends died from ALS 3 years ago and I was devastated watching him weaken until he passed. It amazes me that there is no progress at all in fighting this horrible disease.

There is some progress. FDA approval however to get these drugs out can take forever. For example,

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/05/for-a-l-s-patients-a-hopeful-drug-thats-out-of-reach/?_r=0

If football caused ALS you would think we would be seeing more football players with the disease.

All in all, I feel so bad for Dwight and his family.
Originally posted by sfout:

Actually, linking ALS and repeated trauma to the head no matter how light has been getting stronger with each study. Scores of former soccer players who played in the days before the modern materials were introduced have been diagnosed with ALS. They're one of the larger groups of "well known" people with ALS.

There is no certainty of any true reason for someone to get ALS when not inherited. About 10% of people that get ALS are through heredity. If repeated trauma to the head was really a key cause of ALS there would be scores of NFL players with ALS and I know of 2. While there are lots of studies being done the sad reality is no one truly knows what causes this horrible disease.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Sad to hear.

After watching my friend lose his functions and ultimately pass from ALS, I know that I would want to end my life before it got to the worst stages. No one should have to be put through the torture of this awful disease.

Share 49ersWebzone