LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 296 users in the forums

week 13 Chicago Bears coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able contribute a whole lot to the thread today. I've got a lot of work on my plate. However, as far as the passing game goes, there's not a whole lot to show, IMO because the angle on the "all-22" is terrible at the Bears' stadium. I can see what's going on, but it makes it very difficult to show throw diagrams and things. The angle is really low, not much different than a broadcast angle, they just pull back a little further. The endzone cameras are good, but the sideline to show the passing game and defensive backfield is turrible.

All in all here's what I gleaned:
Some notes about differences in coaching styles that were highlighted from the film, as I know that was a hot topic this week. I'll be using boxing analogies to compare the styles.

Roman, as our OC was more of a brawler type. He came out and was looking to land hard punches throughout to wear down his opponent. He didn't care as much who they were, you knew he was going to come out and look to land hard shot after hard shot. This left him susceptible to counter-punching and a rope-a-dope style where the defense would look to prepare for the hits and then take advantage after they didn't work.

Chryst: He's more of a counter-puncher style. He's terrible out of the gate. I really have disliked his 1st qtr play calling all season. Very simple concepts that look to create horizontal stretches, or he's taking deep shots. There's very little in between. He doesn't look to attack the intermediate areas early nor does he look to do anything out of character. So, he's not going to be the one who strikes first. He lets the defense show him what they're going to do and they counters that. It's hard to truly gauge our 2nd half offense - or more specifically 3rd qtr, because Chi had the ball for all but 3 plays the entire 3rd qtr.

Gase: He's a technician. He looks to outsmart the other guy and peck away to set up a big shot. He ran a lot of underneath, quick hitting, concepts. There were a few "stick" concepts, "trail" concepts, "drive" concepts all designed to get the ball out quickly and peck away at the defense. He used the run game like a jab punch to set up other punches. They didn't have a lot of big chunk plays but were able to effectively isolate the players they wanted into double teams to be able to create steady production from the run game.

Fangio: He's another technician guy. Think of a Floyd Merriweather. He's not going to let you hit him with the big shot - that's his 1st priority. It's why it took until OT to set up the big shot on his defense. He's going to force you to be very strategic in how you attack him. You're not going to get away with simple concepts that look to attack only one area(by area I mean short, intermediate, and deep) area of the field. Early on we tried a lot of horizontal stretches that didn't work. You have to stretch fangio's defense both horizontally and vertically.

Mangini: He's a boxer puncher. Like an Evander Holyfield. He looks to keep the pressure on while protecting against the big punch- more often. They look to have cleaned up most of their blown assignments that plagued them early in the year. He's looking to attack the offense, force the issue and speed everything up. He looks to come out and make a team start speeding up their passing clock by bringing pressure - usually he tries to scheme an overload so that the QB's are going to try and move quicker through their progressions or get stuck on the 2nd one.

As far as the game goes:

The Bears are really settling in to a Fangio look to their defense. I wouldn't be surprised if they're a top 10 defense next year. They have, as some have put it, "overachieved" all season. They do a good job of keeping everything in front of them - generally, so it makes a lot of things offenses do more difficult. It means your players have to be able to be more precise route runners and know how to turn hips for players in zone coverage. Fangio makes teams play slow, methodical football. And if you ever get off schedule for the sticks against him, life gets rough. We should know this all too well from his time in San Fran. How many great QB's and great offenses did we cause to have much pain and consternation?

That being said, we had a nearly non-existent run game. Boone played uncharacteristically poor in the run game, to me. Martin was...welll...Martin. Tiller again struggled in the zone runs but did better in the power run game. He's good when pulling.

The Bears were sticking to our receivers most of the day and completely dominated the LOS most of the game. Every one of our lineman got beat on multiple occasions. I don't think there's anything I can say about Kilgore's play - for those who might ask how he did, he only came in on a couple snaps and was an extra lineman on running plays. Too small of a sample size to make any positive assertions about.

The play to TS to win the game was awesome - for those who've been following these threads, it was a deep smash concept. We tried several smash concepts in the game and they didn't work out. The depth of this one really helped sell it was a deep horizontal stretch. The PA and moving of the launch point really helped in giving Gabbert enough time to let the play develop and he made a good read and a GREAT throw.

Anyhoo, cheers!
I'll be interested to know how hodges did. Looked good in the broadcast but can't always tell in real time if he's missing assignments.
S'bout cotdam time!
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
S'bout cotdam time!

IKR!
  • MikeD
  • Veteran
Guess Fangio is the real deal, lucky for us Cutler is still garbage
  • thl408
Good read, jonny. I hate this all22 angle as well. I can't tell the spacing between players, especially on the far side of the field. Everything looks flat.

I thought Gabbert was slow in his presnap reads and releasing the ball, and that led to most of the opening drives being stalled. Later on, the CHI defense caught on to what the 49ers wanted to do and did a good job taking it away. About Geep, he's not afraid to call the same plays again and again, whether it works or doesn't work. The same play the 49ers went 3 and out on on the first drive is the same play Gabbert scored on (long TD run). They also called it on a drive later in the first half. This happened again and again with other plays. We had clues of this happening during the offseason. There's nothing wrong with this if execution is precise and plays are disguised with formation.

If there's a book on Gabbert after 4 starts, it's that he likes to target over the middle of the field. Fangio caught on to this and played a lot of robber coverages (cover1). There was a lot of soft cover1 being played, which we all know from his days in SF where the cushion being given allowed CBs to watch the QB while also playing man coverage. He also mixed in fire zone blitzes and cover6, but it was mostly Cover1 with pattern match underneath. I think how all the defenders were playing man, but were also looking facing and watching the QB, can make the QB hesitant because he thinks the defender can break on the throw and INT it.

The 49ers defensively did a good job of confusing CHI's pass protection with disguised pressure. It wasn't always a blitz, but with a disguised 4th rusher, and still dropping 7 into coverage. The run defense really struggled early, but buckled down after a suspect start. Bow needs an aggressive partner at the other ILB spot. Wilhoite was always hesitant in reading 'run' and clogging the point of attack. I saw the same thing from Hodges. If Bow is to be the Mike and be free to run around making tackles, he needs the Ted to quickly eat that lead blocker without pause.

I'll do most of the cut ups tonight.
It will be interesting to see how Gabbert progresses as teams become more aware of his tendencies. As the previous poster eluded to, the Bears were defending the middle and giving outside cushion all day. Can Gabbert adjust?
Watching again, looks like Blaine missed some open guys, but Chi had very good coverage most of the game.
  • MikeD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bzborow1:
It will be interesting to see how Gabbert progresses as teams become more aware of his tendencies. As the previous poster eluded to, the Bears were defending the middle and giving outside cushion all day. Can Gabbert adjust?

It would help if they had a running game, its been nonexistent
Originally posted by socalniner:
Watching again, looks like Blaine missed some open guys, but Chi had very good coverage most of the game.
Chi coming in that game was hot, made rodgers choke

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Understatement:

Cutler, who arrived with a 100.8 passer rating in his previous four starts, had a season-worst rating (64.2) in a 26-20 overtime loss to the 49ers. As for (Carson) Palmer, he had a season-worst rating (80.4) and didn't throw a touchdown pass for the only time in 12 starts in a 19-13 win over the 49ers on Nov. 29.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Understatement:

Cutler, who arrived with a 100.8 passer rating in his previous four starts, had a season-worst rating (64.2) in a 26-20 overtime loss to the 49ers. As for (Carson) Palmer, he had a season-worst rating (80.4) and didn't throw a touchdown pass for the only time in 12 starts in a 19-13 win over the 49ers on Nov. 29.

I know I play Cutler in fantasy last week
What I saw were guys would be open, if he would've had a little bit more time in the pocket. Sometimes, I think CHI was able to speed up his internal clock with their pressure. TBF though, they were able to get to him several times on the day, so it is understandable that his clock would be sped up. One thing we know from when Fangio was with us, is the his defense is predicated on 4 rushers being able to get to the QB. Which, CHI's pass rushers are looking better and better as the season goes along. With that 4 person pressure, Fangio keeps his coverage guys in position to read and react to the routes in front of them.

What this creates is, you could somewhat easily scheme guys open, but it's going to take at least 3-3.5 seconds to get them open. So, you have to be confident that you can hold up for that length of time to let the routes develop. If not, than you're going to have to get the ball out quicker to either tight coverage or there won't be anywhere to throw - this was the case on several of his runs.
Originally posted by MikeD:
Originally posted by bzborow1:

It would help if they had a running game, its been nonexistent
very good point - when you look at the team's rushing, it's deceiving, because Gabbert had so many yards on scrambles. The one thing I really do like about his scrambling is that he, generally, doesn't take off until he's exhausted the play - something Steve Young talked about a few times that Kaepernick needed to do.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Understatement:

I know I play Cutler in fantasy last week

Dude....."I know it was you Fredo....you broke my heart"
Share 49ersWebzone