LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 330 users in the forums

Player Personnel: Planning For Next Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's an absolute shame that's it come to this so soon, where we're already thinking ahead about next season. I don't see much to be hopeful about for the next few weeks, so to take my mind off the awful things I expect to happen in the near future of this season, I have begun to speculate in my mind what we can do to mend this team in terms of player personnel. I have no idea what we intend to do with coaches, so this thread will have nothing to do with that. Strictly our player roster.

First, players I expect us to lose (either cut or not re-sign) for next year:
OL Boone - I see him testing free agency to get out of here.
OL Devey - I see absolutely no way the team allows him to stay on the roster for 2016, honestly I hope he's cut even sooner.
WR Boldin - His contract is up, he's aging, Smelter is waiting in the wings. We're not paying him $8 million to continue to stay here.
WR Patton - I don't think he makes the final cut for 2016. Too much of a bonehead. I bet Simpson winds up outplaying him this year.
TE Davis - Celek has performed well. Davis will probably retire, but there's no way we're continuing to pay him here.
RB Bush - This is pretty self explanatory.
ILB Wilhoite - They traded for Hodges for a reason. Younger, more upside, better in coverage.
NT Williams - I think with Purcell emerging, he and Dorsey will wind up competing for the starting NT spot with Armstead starts at DE.
DE Jerod-Eddie - Sorry, he needs to go. If he hasn't developed into starter material by now, he never will. Time to upgrade.
OLB Brooks - Salary will be way too big. He's our 2nd best pass rusher now, but we'll use our cap room to upgrade here.
OLB Lemonier - This year was his last chance to show something. Failed again. He's gone.
SS Bethea - As long as Tartt shows promise and Reid stays healthy, I don't expect Bethea back in 2016. He might just retire.
K Dawson - Will we get one more year out of him? Salary pretty high for an old kicker.

Second, let's look at our pre-draft/pre-FA roster shell after those above losses:
Offense
QB: Kaepernick, Gabbert
RB: Hyde, Hayne, Davis, Miller (FB)
TE: Celek, McDonald, Bell, B.Anderson
WR: Smith, Simpson, Ellington, Smelter, White
OT: Staley, Pears, Trenton Brown
OG: Tiller, Thomas, Silberman
C: Kilgore, Martin
Defense
NT: Dorsey, Purcell
DE: Dial, Armstead, Carradine
OLB: Lynch, Harold
ILB: Bowman, Hodges, Skov, Bellore
CB: Acker, Brock, Johnson, Ward, Reaser
S: Reid, Tartt, McCray
Special Teams
K/P/LS: (empty), Pinion, Nelson

Third, assess what holes we have and what resources we'll have to work with for 2016:
* Obvious needs (8): OG/OT/C, RB, WR, OLB, ILB, DE. Depth/development needs (2): S, QB
* We project to have 10 total draft picks right now: a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, two 4ths, three 5ths, and two 6ths.
* If we lose the players I mentioned above, that would be between 37 to $40 million off the books. Plus the salary cap with go up. We currently are $13.3 million under the cap. So we could have about $50 million to reload, plus 10 draft picks.

Fourth, assess what options we have on fixing the roster with the resources we have:
* We could move to a 4-3, have Carradine lose weight to be the pass-rushing DE he was supposed to be, or keep him inside. The DL could be Armstead-Dorsey-Dial-Lynch with Tank subbing in for Dorsey on passing downs. At linebacker we could have Bowman at MLB, Harold at OLB, and Hodges at the other OLB spot (originally played OLB, FYI). Or if we stick with the 3-4, we'll just have to address the gaping hole at pass-rusher and ILB depth.
* It's obvious the OL will need help through both the draft AND free agency. Young guys aren't proven yet, need another established player. Getting Anthony Davis back would definitely help, but we can't count on that right now.. OL Players who might be available in 2016 are: OT Okung (SEA), Andre Smith (CIN), and Mitchell Schwartz (CLE), as well as C Wendell (NE), and OG Silatolu (CAR).

What else do you think we can do with the roster, purely from a player personnel standpoint, going forward?
I like this kind of party!
And I didn't think it possible to be more depressed.
I lack the knowledge to comment on much of this but I will say I'm glad to see Jarryd Hayne survived your mock purge.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Haven't I posted this for you guys before???

During the off season, that this is the year where you see players playing for next year's team!!

hahhh!! Hayne already made the team!!!
Otc. Nothing about mack likely leaving cle?

It's obvious to anyone with a brain our ol is our biggest problem. We will likely have the funds to pick up anyone, but do they want to play here?

Also, devry has got to go asap, but you have pears on the roster next year. What type of cap hit does he carry if he is sent packing as well?
Originally posted by Hard-Knock-Niner:
I lack the knowledge to comment on much of this but I will say I'm glad to see Jarryd Hayne survived your mock purge.

With a season of in the fire experience I suspect he will be a excellent returner next year along with a solid #2 or #3 back. As the rookiest of rookies he has made some errors (as expected really) but has also shown some brilliance too. A great talent that needs experience. I think he should be playing on st coverage teams too, he is a great tackler at speed. So ideally, PR, Gunner/Kick Coverage/ #3-change of pace RB. That suits his skill set nicely and keeps him involved in the game but without TOO much to do.

I doubt the niners would want to do all the ground work, only to release him next year to see him play for some one else - with talent and a season of nfl experience
[ Edited by theauviper on Oct 23, 2015 at 5:48 PM ]
Originally posted by 9moon:

During the off season, that this is the year where you see players playing for next year's team!!

Yeah, no one pays attention when you do this because you include ridiculous trades and coaching hires that made sense in 2009.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

Yeah, no one pays attention when you do this because you include ridiculous trades and coaching hires that made sense in 2009.

Lmao
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
don't get mad me cause your GQ magazine of Kaep no longer has value, I've told you stop buying them..

by the way, do you know if Kaep ever got your letter or was that a tweet??

" Dear Keap, I wrote you but still ain't callin'
I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom
I sent two letters back in autumn, you must not-a got 'em
There probably was a problem at the post office or somethin
'Sometimes I scribble addresses too sloppy when I jot 'em
But anyways, f**k it, what's been up? Man how's your tatte'd bohhd???"

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It's an absolute shame that's it come to this so soon, where we're already thinking ahead about next season. I don't see much to be hopeful about for the next few weeks, so to take my mind off the awful things I expect to happen in the near future of this season, I have begun to speculate in my mind what we can do to mend this team in terms of player personnel. I have no idea what we intend to do with coaches, so this thread will have nothing to do with that. Strictly our player roster.

First, players I expect us to lose (either cut or not re-sign) for next year:
OL Boone - I see him testing free agency to get out of here.
OL Devey - I see absolutely no way the team allows him to stay on the roster for 2016, honestly I hope he's cut even sooner.
WR Boldin - His contract is up, he's aging, Smelter is waiting in the wings. We're not paying him $8 million to continue to stay here.
WR Patton - I don't think he makes the final cut for 2016. Too much of a bonehead. I bet Simpson winds up outplaying him this year.
TE Davis - Celek has performed well. Davis will probably retire, but there's no way we're continuing to pay him here.
RB Bush - This is pretty self explanatory.
ILB Wilhoite - They traded for Hodges for a reason. Younger, more upside, better in coverage.
NT Williams - I think with Purcell emerging, he and Dorsey will wind up competing for the starting NT spot with Armstead starts at DE.
DE Jerod-Eddie - Sorry, he needs to go. If he hasn't developed into starter material by now, he never will. Time to upgrade.
OLB Brooks - Salary will be way too big. He's our 2nd best pass rusher now, but we'll use our cap room to upgrade here.
OLB Lemonier - This year was his last chance to show something. Failed again. He's gone.
SS Bethea - As long as Tartt shows promise and Reid stays healthy, I don't expect Bethea back in 2016. He might just retire.
K Dawson - Will we get one more year out of him? Salary pretty high for an old kicker.

Second, let's look at our pre-draft/pre-FA roster shell after those above losses:
Offense
QB: Kaepernick, Gabbert
RB: Hyde, Hayne, Davis, Miller (FB)
TE: Celek, McDonald, Bell, B.Anderson
WR: Smith, Simpson, Ellington, Smelter, White
OT: Staley, Pears, Trenton Brown
OG: Tiller, Thomas, Silberman
C: Kilgore, Martin
Defense
NT: Dorsey, Purcell
DE: Dial, Armstead, Carradine
OLB: Lynch, Harold
ILB: Bowman, Hodges, Skov, Bellore
CB: Acker, Brock, Johnson, Ward, Reaser
S: Reid, Tartt, McCray
Special Teams
K/P/LS: (empty), Pinion, Nelson

Third, assess what holes we have and what resources we'll have to work with for 2016:
* Obvious needs (8): OG/OT/C, RB, WR, OLB, ILB, DE. Depth/development needs (2): S, QB
* We project to have 10 total draft picks right now: a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, two 4ths, three 5ths, and two 6ths.
* If we lose the players I mentioned above, that would be between 37 to $40 million off the books. Plus the salary cap with go up. We currently are $13.3 million under the cap. So we could have about $50 million to reload, plus 10 draft picks.

Fourth, assess what options we have on fixing the roster with the resources we have:
* We could move to a 4-3, have Carradine lose weight to be the pass-rushing DE he was supposed to be, or keep him inside. The DL could be Armstead-Dorsey-Dial-Lynch with Tank subbing in for Dorsey on passing downs. At linebacker we could have Bowman at MLB, Harold at OLB, and Hodges at the other OLB spot (originally played OLB, FYI). Or if we stick with the 3-4, we'll just have to address the gaping hole at pass-rusher and ILB depth.
* It's obvious the OL will need help through both the draft AND free agency. Young guys aren't proven yet, need another established player. Getting Anthony Davis back would definitely help, but we can't count on that right now.. OL Players who might be available in 2016 are: OT Okung (SEA), Andre Smith (CIN), and Mitchell Schwartz (CLE), as well as C Wendell (NE), and OG Silatolu (CAR).

What else do you think we can do with the roster, purely from a player personnel standpoint, going forward?

Personally I think we need to spend draft assets on offense, and free agency money on defense. We have a lot of young inexperienced talent on defense, the rest of this year should be centered around finding which ones we can build around. In free agency we need to find a olb to compliment lynch, he doesnt need to be a 12 sack a year guy, but someone who can at least apply pressure. On the dline we need to find someone wit a complete game. I feel as though we have a ton of guys who do one thing really well. Ian, dorsey, dial are a adequate to good against the run. tank, and armstead is alright against the pass. We need people like raymac and justin who have a complete game(they dont need to play as well as justin as that would be a find), someone who could be impactful on all three downs. I think armstead can develop into this guy, im not sure about tank, I dont think dial will ever be able to do much as a passrusher, same with ian. I really like some of the young guys in our secondary, they need a good front 7 in front of them though.

On offense, we need a young receiver who can run the entire route tree. A guy who can beat man coverage consistently and has the potential to be elite. A treu number 1. Then we need to spend a lot on the offensive line, both through the draft and free agency(not saying money wise, but in terms of just filling it out with talent). If anthony comes back, great. If not we need to find players quick. kilgore and staley might be guys to build around(although I wouldnt be surprised to see staley retire after this season). A second running back is necessary, and another tightend to compete with celek, bell, and the others.
Nice post OTC. The one guy I see coming back is Ian Williams. I think he's a good young player to keep around, and he can be probably be re-signed at a modest price. I'd like to retain Boone as well, but he's likely to leave imo.

Looking at the pre-draft/fa roster, there are big time needs throughout the roster. We can go in any number of directions, but the priority should be to rebuild the o-line and pass rush. Depending on how Kap performs the rest of the way, we may need to look at QB as well.

It's going to be a very busy off-season. In the meantime, we need to play as many young players as possible. The next 9 games should be used for evaluating these players. Find out who can play for next season. We need to know exactly what our off-season needs are.
don't get mad me cause your GQ magazine of Kaep no longer has value, I've told you stop buying them..

by the way, do you know if Kaep ever got your letter or was that a tweet??

" Dear Keap, I wrote you but still ain't callin'
I left my cell, my pager, and my home phone at the bottom
I sent two letters back in autumn, you must not-a got 'em
There probably was a problem at the post office or somethin
'Sometimes I scribble addresses too sloppy when I jot 'em
But anyways, f**k it, what's been up? Man how's your tatte'd bohhd???"

Dont be mad if no one actually pays any attention to your posts
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Nice post OTC. The one guy I see coming back is Ian Williams. I think he's a good young player to keep around, and he can be probably be re-signed at a modest price. I'd like to retain Boone as well, but he's likely to leave imo.

Looking at the pre-draft/fa roster, there are big time needs throughout the roster. We can go in any number of directions, but the priority should be to rebuild the o-line and pass rush. Depending on how Kap performs the rest of the way, we may need to look at QB as well.

It's going to be a very busy off-season. In the meantime, we need to play as many young players as possible. The next 9 games should be used for evaluating these players. Find out who can play for next season. We need to know exactly what our off-season needs are.

I should certainly figure to be a busy off-season. It would be really nice if the team could bring back Williams. I'm just not sure if he'll want to test free agency. At 26, he and Purcell could man the position for quite some time. I like Dorsey, but he's 30 this year and is not a great fit at DE. If we re-sign Williams, I'd try to trade Dorsey because Dial also can play NT and serve as a tertiary backup there. Dial does a good job occupying blockers, but he's not much of a pass-rush threat either. The 4-3 honestly might be a good idea, but I don't think they make the switch because of Armstead. They want him playing the 4 technique. Have to stay in the 3-4 to do that.

The OL is definitely the most important. Even with our awful defense and terrible miscommunications, they've only given up 20 points in each of the past two games (and it would've been three games of 20 if not for that late collapse against NYG...). On offense, we cannot do anything against a team with any semblance of a pass rush. The moment the ball is snapped Devey gets slaughtered like a lamb for Passover.

I'd sign a free agent OG or C. If Alex Mack actually voided his deal, AND came here, then I'd slide Kilgore to OG and then draft a guard high to compete with Tiller, Silberman, Martin and Thomas. Kilgore would obviously stay the backup center. If we don't get a FA center, we need to draft a center high. I'd also take a tackle high to compete to start at RT, whether Anthony Davis comes back or not.

Plain and simple, we need to be able to move the ball and we can't do that, run or pass, with a line that gives up immediate pressure with no place to step up.

Priority list for me:

1. OL
2. OLB
3. RB (Hyde never protects himself, and we have no option behind him)
4. DE with pass rush ability
5. WR because we need more playmakers; a tall, fast red-zone threat would be nice
6. ILB insurance
Resign Boone. We can't go into next year needing to replace both OG's and an OT with help at C.

Stay in th 3-4. But play Tank and AA a lot more.

Draft OT, OG, C, ILB, OLB, and DE.

I wouldn't draft anybody at WR, TE, QB, RB

I would drop every OL except for Staley, Boone, Kilgore, and Tiiler. If none of these guys can replace Devey and Pears they must be trash.
[ Edited by jreff22 on Oct 23, 2015 at 7:56 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone