There are 146 users in the forums

Player Personnel: Planning For Next Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by NCommand:
For all those who hate Baalke, this thread confirms something...for a team that is right in the middle of a rebuilding year (7 games), the consensus is that we only lack talent at three positions (two - no fault of the GM):

QB - Which rebuilding team doesn't have an issue at QB? That said, I do see the other side of the fence and the argument that he IS a proven winner when he has a stellar line (run blocking and consistent pass protection). The issue is, I can't remember the last time he had that...if ever?
OL - Not much a GM can do here when even your backup plan to your backup plan fell through after the draft and FA; Kilgore's second surgery, Iupati bolting, Davis retiring, Thomas not developing quick enough, Martin regressing into the worst C in the game, stuck with Pears and Devey and then coaches choosing Devey over Tiller despite Tiller providing a clear upgrade the previous two games. Fishy.
ILB/OLB - Under Mangini's new scheme, coverage of the ILB's have become a highlight reel...for the opposition. It was the opposite under Fangio.
Coaching/Scheme - I genuinely don't know one single fan who had Tomsula as their top choice. I can probably say the same about Mangini and Geep. That said, that doesn't mean Tomsula can't become a good coach if he can make it through the #7torm. TBF, under these circumstances, it's just too hard to fully evaluate him. Geep at least has brought back the WCO (for real this time) and I do see a lot of nice things. He just seems ultra strapped with the piss poor OL and CK's psyche so like Tomsula, I'm not ready to throw him under the bus yet either. Mangini? This dude! While it may be too early to fully evaluate him with his defensive install (patience), he, IMHO, needs to go and go yesterday. This guy has implemented and forced a scheme on a personnel that was built for polar opposite success. While I have seen incremental improvements, it has the exact same feel as the offense under HaRoman...these players are talented and winning many battles in spite of the coaching/scheme right now. As fans we can see Geep adjusting and doing everything he can to help CK and use our weapons (minus the Hawks game). Mangini is just the opposite of that.

That's pretty remarkable for a rebuilding year-1 IMHO and we have 9 more games to develop players for next year. No doubt coaching/scheme and talent loss at the aforementioned positions has crushed this team especially coupled with the toughest schedule in the NFL (and travel). I also agree that we don't have supreme talent at each position either. But that's exactly what you'd expect for a year-1 rebuild. Guys like Justin Smith and Navarro Bowman did not walk on and start kicking ass. They developed over time and were epic in their prime. Once in a while you'll have someone come in like Willis/Reid and play at a high level but they still have to continue to develop INTO stars. Some do, some don't. Fortunately, this is a team game. All-star teams in the past have failed and failed miserably.

With 10 picks next year (already), what, 12 in 2017 (?) and some $50M+ to play with, we should be in great shape to fill some holes...maybe even some key impact players for the pass rush, ILB pass coverage and OL. We may be stuck with CK but we can easily get out of that as well.

QB and coaching/scheme are my two biggest concerns.

Excellent post!

The wars are still won in the trenches and we fail at both.

Abysmal Oline. This is the main problem on offense. No running lanes and crap pass protection. Kap is definitely under-performing BUT it isn't all on him.

Only 1 guy is consistently applying pressure and that's it. IMO, it comes back to coaching. Get AA lots more playing time. Play Tank at DE for the rest of the season and maybe play more 4-3

Our secondary doesn't look very good because opposing QB's have lots of time.

Trent's main priorities are to fix the lines and IMO - improve the coaching.

I think there is a plethora of OL talent in the upcoming draft. Free agency has some options too. I'd like to go OL early. I think Trent and Tomsula, as much as many will hate to hear it, will likely get another shot to prove themselves in 2016. I think if Tomsula wins at least 6 games, he returns.
which is very likely considering our schedule begins to get easier over the next part of the season. They play some scrub teams. They need to fix a lot of things if thye are to make this work. But first and foremost get back to the basics, draft olinemen.

Pretty much. Dallas proved that a great OL can help mask a lot. They have no WRs, no legit RBs, and no QB, and still are managing to stay in games.

We need to:

1. Draft multiple OL and sign a starter. Beg Anthony Davis to come back (*sarcastic laugh*).
2. Either sign another star pass-rusher, or draft one early to go opposite Lynch. Restructure Brooks if you can and keep him for depth, cut him if you can't. Regardless we need to draft more depth and competition there.
3. Draft DL that can rush the passer. Frankly, if Ian Williams comes back, I would trade Dorsey in TC or in the pre-season if Purcell shines again. We don't need Dorsey if we've got a bonafide good combo with Williams/Purcell/Dial as depth there.
4. Sign a reliable veteran RB (James Starks, Doug Martin, Hillman, and CJ2K will be UFAs)
5. Draft or trade for a play-making WR. Boldin is great, but it's time for something new. Someone quicker, faster ideally.
6. Draft ILB depth/insurance for Hodges/Bowman.

That would be my 6-step roster plan.
Purcell must have been doing as well as we thot. That's why he is sitting on the bench. Is it possible to do a write in and fire mangini?
Davis is gone
Play all the youngsters, let Keap sling it like a mad man, go balls out with the blitz, go out guns a blazing!
I just wrote a pretty long post on the Andrew Luck free agency sweepstakes which occurs after next year. And how the 49ers could potentially enter those sweepstakes. Then I realized we fired the head coach he would jump ship and play for. And I also realized there's no way in hell Andrew Luck leaves one dysfunctional organization for another.

Talk about a game changing free agent at age 28.

The 2017 Free Agent class is very deep in talent.
[ Edited by SisterFister on Oct 27, 2015 at 11:37 PM ]
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Trade for Mettenberger or Mike Glennon,sign Russell Okung and/or Von Miller,draft a young QB and spend the majority of your picks on oline
Share 49ersWebzone