LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 310 users in the forums

Gentlemen, I give you the Brett Favre effect

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • KP82
Kaep's problem is that he doesnt use the short game to his advantage.

Favre had horrible mechanics, but he was notorious for dinking and dunking the ball off to his RBs and then when the defense tired he would beat you with the deep pass. Guys like Edgar Bennett, Dorsey Levens, Ahman Green were avg to below avg RBs but were sensationalized in GB bc Favre used them to their max.

If Kaep started focusing on the short passes eg screens, dump offs to RBs, defenses would eventually lax and he could then use his arm to beat them deep.

Unfortunately at this time he always looks for the deep ball and that is why he struggles.
Originally posted by Phil-2:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Might want to check out the OL or coaches film thread and rethink that one.

Joe Montana, Steve Young, Tom Brady, Jesus. Would all get sacked to death on this team.

ain't nobody got time for playoffs behind this OL

No they wouldn't. They'd get rid of the ball quicker. And I watched the game, I don't need homer film breakdown to tell me Kaepernick caused those turnovers himself. Blaming the o-line for his weak (overall) game isn't going to work. The regression is clear and it has nothing to do with the o-line much of the time. Not in 2013 and not in 2014. Kaepernick has all the same issues he had coming out of Nevada and this is his 5'th year in the NFL. Accept it. He is who he is. Yes, for Kaepernick to be a good passer we will in fact need the best o-line possible, giving him 3.5 seconds to throw.

Last year, when he took 50+ sacks, what was his average time to throw? How long did the o-line give him on average? He had the third longest time in the NFL at 2.96 seconds. He frequently leaves the pocket when he should be stepping up or scrambling a tad to avoid pressure while keeping his eyes downfield. You step up, keep your eyes downfield, make the throw and take the hit. That's what passing QB's do. Kaepernick is looking for running lanes though. He needs to release the ball quicker, get running off his mind and dedicate to the pass even in a crumbling pocket. That's what Montana would do, that's what Young eventually learned to do.

This is one of the main issues wit Kaepernick. This doesn't come natural to him. He's programmed with a fight or flight response. Fight (pass) or flight (run). We rarely see him stand tall in the pocket and take a hit as he's passing the ball. He's too busy scrambling, looking for running lanes. I think he's also aware of the fact that he passes better on the run. Kaepernicks accuracy from the pocket has always been bad. In fact, he played worse in 2014 with no pressure at all!!! And that's a fact.

Hey Phil, were you around during the Steve Young years? He had great stats and performances when he had a good OL. The final 2 years of his career, he spent them running for his life. Remember troy aikman? He started out with a horrendous career with having more picks than TD's. Jimmy Johnson built up the best OL in NFL history, and all of a sudden, 3 superbowl titles. Yeah, he had emmit smith, michael irvin, jay novacek,,,but who do you think gave aikman the time to get the ball to irvin and novacek, and who do you think created all those holes for emmit to run through?
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Originally posted by Phil-2:
Might want to check out the OL or coaches film thread and rethink that one.

Joe Montana, Steve Young, Tom Brady, Jesus. Would all get sacked to death on this team.

ain't nobody got time for playoffs behind this OL

No they wouldn't. They'd get rid of the ball quicker. And I watched the game, I don't need homer film breakdown to tell me Kaepernick caused those turnovers himself. Blaming the o-line for his weak (overall) game isn't going to work. The regression is clear and it has nothing to do with the o-line much of the time. Not in 2013 and not in 2014. Kaepernick has all the same issues he had coming out of Nevada and this is his 5'th year in the NFL. Accept it. He is who he is. Yes, for Kaepernick to be a good passer we will in fact need the best o-line possible, giving him 3.5 seconds to throw.

Last year, when he took 50+ sacks, what was his average time to throw? How long did the o-line give him on average? He had the third longest time in the NFL at 2.96 seconds. He frequently leaves the pocket when he should be stepping up or scrambling a tad to avoid pressure while keeping his eyes downfield. You step up, keep your eyes downfield, make the throw and take the hit. That's what passing QB's do. Kaepernick is looking for running lanes though. He needs to release the ball quicker, get running off his mind and dedicate to the pass even in a crumbling pocket. That's what Montana would do, that's what Young eventually learned to do.

This is one of the main issues wit Kaepernick. This doesn't come natural to him. He's programmed with a fight or flight response. Fight (pass) or flight (run). We rarely see him stand tall in the pocket and take a hit as he's passing the ball. He's too busy scrambling, looking for running lanes. I think he's also aware of the fact that he passes better on the run. Kaepernicks accuracy from the pocket has always been bad. In fact, he played worse in 2014 with no pressure at all!!! And that's a fact.

Hey Phil, were you around during the Steve Young years? He had great stats and performances when he had a good OL. The final 2 years of his career, he spent them running for his life. Remember troy aikman? He started out with a horrendous career with having more picks than TD's. Jimmy Johnson built up the best OL in NFL history, and all of a sudden, 3 superbowl titles. Yeah, he had emmit smith, michael irvin, jay novacek,,,but who do you think gave aikman the time to get the ball to irvin and novacek, and who do you think created all those holes for emmit to run through?

An extra .5 seconds of time in the pocket is huge in the nfl, but also having the confidence that your o-line won't blow assignments is also pretty important. And that's something our o-line does on a regular basis; guys block air and Kaerpernick has a freer rusher in his face.
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
So, shoulda hired Holmgren?

Lol beat me to it
I have never hated anyone as much as I hated Brett Favre. He completely destroyed us almost his entire career. Kap doesn't have the same confidence, skills, or IQ that Favre had. Brett was a legendary gun slinger but he knew he could make those throws and didn't care or let an interception affect his confidence. Kap has yet to show that he has that mentality.
[ Edited by KingSol on Oct 1, 2015 at 10:51 AM ]
Originally posted by KP82:
Kaep's problem is that he doesnt use the short game to his advantage.

Favre had horrible mechanics, but he was notorious for dinking and dunking the ball off to his RBs and then when the defense tired he would beat you with the deep pass. Guys like Edgar Bennett, Dorsey Levens, Ahman Green were avg to below avg RBs but were sensationalized in GB bc Favre used them to their max.

If Kaep started focusing on the short passes eg screens, dump offs to RBs, defenses would eventually lax and he could then use his arm to beat them deep.

Unfortunately at this time he always looks for the deep ball and that is why he struggles.

Kap can't do that on his own. You can't focus on the short passing game when it's 3rd and long after two runs. The coaches have to prioritize a short passing game into the game plan. Instead the priority is run first to set up play action which to me causes much of the problem.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Oct 1, 2015 at 10:53 AM ]
Farve never had 12 probowlers leave or retire all in one year doe.

Kap is not Brett Favre it's not even close. Sure we can compare sh**ty seasons but that doesn't make there beat seasons the same. When kap can put up numbers like Favre give me a ring lol
Actually the reason he turned the ball over is because he didn't take the sack.

This was the 2nd pick 6. No one was open and no good place to go with the ball. There is no "get rid of it sooner"

A good QB takes the sack and moves on to the next play.
Only problem is if Kap did this the 49ers would give up 15 sacks a game.

wrong.

Boldin was wide open. Kap double clutches for no reason.

• Marty
  • Veteran
Most of the great QB's have had a favorite target. It's important to have that go-to guy for the peace of mind, and also to free up the other receivers more.

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by defenderDX:

This was the 2nd pick 6. No one was open and no good place to go with the ball. There is no "get rid of it sooner"

wrong.

Already explained this. His first look is to the left. Maybe if he was looking at him from the snap. When Kap looks right is when the Safety breaks, prob why he did that.

wrong.

Already explained this. His first look is to the left. Maybe if he was looking at him from the snap. When Kap looks right is when the Safety breaks, prob why he did that.

No excuse for double clutching. Whether it was his 2nd read or 3rd, boldin was open. Looks like a matter of not trusting what he saw to me
[ Edited by defenderDX on Oct 2, 2015 at 4:43 AM ]
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

wrong.

No excuse for double clutching. Whether it was his 2nd read or 3rd, boldin was open. Looks like a matter of not trusting what he saw to me

Kind of looks like he wants to go deep to Smith on his 2nd read but sees the LB crossing at the 40. Then pulls it back and throws off his back foot to Boldin. Either way this all happened in 2.5 seconds. You expecting Kap to read the entire field and make the right throw while trying not to get sacked is asking a little much. Boldin could have changed his route based on the coverage being so soft, pulled up on the comeback instead of running the post?

Kap made horrible decision and our OL is one of the worst in the NFL right now. Not going to see good plays with this combo.
Kind of looks like he wants to go deep to Smith on his 2nd read but sees the LB crossing at the 40. Then pulls it back and throws off his back foot to Boldin. Either way this all happened in 2.5 seconds. You expecting Kap to read the entire field and make the right throw while trying not to get sacked is asking a little much. Boldin could have changed his route based on the coverage being so soft, pulled up on the comeback instead of running the post?

Kap made horrible decision and our OL is one of the worst in the NFL right now. Not going to see good plays with this combo.

All I'm saying is there were people open despite saying otherwise. That's all.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

All I'm saying is there were people open despite saying otherwise. That's all.

lol just because a player is open to a fan looking at a blimp shot of the field doesn't mean he's open to the QB who's got a DL in his face while looking at the other side of the field. QB's don't see open guys all the time for many reasons. Players in their passing lanes and pockets breaking down from horrible blocking. By the time Kap saw him he wasn't open, should not have thrown it. He made a bad play. A better play would have been to eat the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone