There are 1,003 users in the forums

Post-2014 Discussion: Does Frank Gore belong in the Hall of Fame?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Post-2014 Discussion: Does Frank Gore belong in the Hall of Fame?

For Frankie to get into the Hall Of Fame, 2015 is a CRUCIAL Year. It would take a 1 year $3 million deal to return to the 49ers and the 49ers have a Monster OLINE where Gore can get 1,300 yards and 10 to 12 TDs and 49ers win Super Bowl L at Home in our WHITE JERSEYS with Gore getting 150 yards rushing in the Super Bowl with MVP and 2 or 3 TDs! Then He's a LOCK!!
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Most guys either rely on stats, or tittles, I have my own totally odd way of determining HOFers. Imagine this, you have a limited amount of time to tell the someone about the NFL, and all the games, the championships, and the players. Say an hour, or maybe it's movie, or 3 page written essay, what ever, you get my point.
Okay, when you tell this story, is the player in question part of it? Could you tell the story without them? If you can tell the story with out them, then they were not important to that era, then I look at stats, and championships, but first I try to tell the story.
If you look at the last decade of the NFL, can you tell the story with out Frank Gore? I think you can, mind you this is not the Niner HOF, cause he is in there. SO for me, Frank doesn't pass the first test.

Meh, there's lots of players in the HOF who don't fit that category.

About 85% I think the HOF is a joke
Originally posted by teylo31:
About 85% I think the HOF is a joke

Charles Haley should have been in there well before my grandpa died. Eddie too
Numbers speak for themselves all he needs is the 49ers get a RING for him
All time leading rusher for the greatest franchise in history. 1 of 10 who've rushed for 1,000 yards 8 times, 7 of which are in, 2 still playing. The answer is yes.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
No, not really, a great player, on bad teams, never won a ring, I'd see Rodger Craig in the hall first.

Would be insulting to Craig if Gore gets in first. They BOTH deserve to be in. They both had outstanding careers, and kept their noses clean throughout, unlike a lot of the current members of the HOF. That, I find disgraceful.
#RETIRE21

Gore best 49ers RB!
If he had more career td's i think he would be a shoe in. But I dont' think he will get in as of right now.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by 4ML:
He may get in eventually but not anytime soon.

Running backs with better stats are not in the HOF so I don't think he's going to get in anytime soon.

well yeah, first he needs to finish his career, pass some other guys on the charts, then wait 5 yrs so....

My bad. I assumed that's a given. Thanks for stating the obvious.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
For Frankie to get into the Hall Of Fame, 2015 is a CRUCIAL Year. It would take a 1 year $3 million deal to return to the 49ers and the 49ers have a Monster OLINE where Gore can get 1,300 yards and 10 to 12 TDs and 49ers win Super Bowl L at Home in our WHITE JERSEYS with Gore getting 150 yards rushing in the Super Bowl with MVP and 2 or 3 TDs! Then He's a LOCK!!

I was going to say he is in even if he retires but I want your scenario to happen even more . Feel he has a good chance now. With the committee being composed of media representation from across the country, who, from what I have read or heard have always said, "One of the most underrated backs of all time". They will want to prove themselves correct and a HOF induction will do just that.

Frank has always been great with the media and has always done the right thing through out his career. His overall story with the knee injuries and his resilience makes such a great story. Have said it many times..... One thing as a niner fan I have always been saddened by is that the 49ers didn't put this talent around him until late into his career.

If he reaches 12000 yards, then yes. He doesn't have a ring yet, but he has started in a Super Bowl and has numerous Pro Bowl and All Pro honors on top of being the franchise rushing leader. It might take him some time to get in, but I think if he gets those 12000 yards and is on the team when it's in the playoffs in his final year, then yes, he should.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If he reaches 12000 yards, then yes. He doesn't have a ring yet, but he has started in a Super Bowl and has numerous Pro Bowl and All Pro honors on top of being the franchise rushing leader. It might take him some time to get in, but I think if he gets those 12000 yards and is on the team when it's in the playoffs in his final year, then yes, he should.

I think 12,000 is still statistically borderline. We'll have to see what happens with Edge at 12,246, this is his first year eligible but I doubt he even makes the finalist vote in a stacked year.

No matter what stats Frank ends up with, I think it's inevitable that he gets in, it's rare to see the kind of unanimous support that he gets from the local media, coaches, teammates, fans. The media especially matters since that's who votes in the end. For the other beat writers and national guys that don't follow our team, who do you think they go to for their info on the Niners? That's right, our local guys. Frank will get in, they'll make sure of it.
[ Edited by znk916 on Jan 3, 2015 at 1:27 PM ]
If he retired today: about a 5% chance.
If he hits 12,000 and flatlines there: 15%
If he hits 12,000, surpasses it easily (let's say he hits 12,500+), and has a really, really memorable year ( some combination of a number of this list: Pro-Bowl, NFC Player of the Month, NFC Player of the Week, and the Niners do very well)- 50%
If he is the NFL MVP, or Super Bowl MVP- 80%

Let's be real- We love Frank. He is a great guy, with a huge heart. I just don't see it happening. Looking at the list of HOF inductees over the past 11 years, here are the guys that made it:
2003- Marcus Allen (2 time 1st team All-Pro, Super Bowl MVP)
2004- Barry Sanders (6 time 1st team All-Pro)
2007- Thurman Thomas (NFL MVP, Offensive Player of the Year)
2010- Emmitt Smith (4-time 1st team All-Pro, NFL MVP, Super Bowl MVP)
2011- Marshall Faulk (3-time 1st team All-Pro, NFL MVP)
2012- Curtis Martin (14,000 yards; 1st team All-Pro, AFC Rookie of the Year, New York Jets)

Gore is a 5-time Pro-Bowler (but never a 1st team All-Pro), but compared to the list above, he's got little to no chance unless he pulls off something extraordinary. As of now, he is not in their class. In our hearts, yes.

But, the NFL Hall of Fame is really hard to get into. Take a lot of the nominees this year, and realize that some of these guys who are 12 time Pro-Bowlers (Will Shields) or number 6th all time rushing (Jerome Bettis) or number one All-Time points in NFL history (Morten Anderson) are not getting in. It is so hard to get into the Hall.

I had the same argument years ago about Bryant Young, who most board members thought would get in. He is not even making the Semifinalist list.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 3, 2015 at 8:27 PM ]
If he gets 2000 more rushing, he may get in via senior committee. But I don't think he gets in
Well, Jerome Bettis just got inducted, so that's good news...
Share 49ersWebzone