LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

Week 14 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Great analysis. Agree with pretty much everything. Time to re-tool, not re-build.

1. Fire the entire offensive staff - I don't understand why they kept anyone from pre-harbaugh era
2. Trade VD
3. Let Lloyd walk
4. Keep Crabs and Iupati if willing to stay for a team-friendly deal
5. Draft another QB - need to start preparing in case Kap has been broken'
6. Draft a couple RB and WR

Minor changes on D. The release/trade of Brooks is pretty much already signed/sealed and delivered.
  • thl408
I don't usually do this till Tuesdays, but here is the first INT. I don't need the all22 to know what's going on here. I was curious how often Kap dropped back with good time in the pocket, and no where to pull the trigger. What I found on the first play is all I think I'll need to see.

This is the Spot concept that Walsh used to abuse defenses. It has easy to see progressions built into the route combination and is a staple play in the WCO. I've seen Kap execute this play a number of times. How he could possibly f**k it up here is mind boggling. It's a 5 step drop timing throw. The progression is Corner(VD) -Curl(Boldin) -Flat(Miller). After the 5 step drop, the routes begin to break down as they become dead routes. Crabs is running a backside Curl.

OAK: cover3 with the backside CB playing man coverage on Crabs. There's a deep safety in the middle of the field that is off the screen.
Simply through defensive alignment (orange defender), VD should be red lighted pre snap. He's not going to be open on the Corner route because the orange DB has outside leverage via his positioning. That leaves the next key defender to be the blue defender, the strongside curl-flat defender.

Snapshot of the moment just before the orange defender is off the screen, there is his positioning, Sure enough, orange has outside leverage and will defeat VD's Courner route. Nothing to see here for Kap. He needs to quickly adjust his eye level to the curl-flat defender (blue). Blue is now facing the Curl-Flat concept coming at him.

If blue shades towards, Miller, then rifle it in to Boldin. If blue shades towards Boldin, then target Miller. Easy peasy. Again, it's a rhythm throw. Once the 5 step drop is completed, the routes will begin to break down. Boldin can't get any more open standing there after completing his Curl. Miller can't keep running to the flat or he'll go out of bounds. The window to the backside Curl (Crabs) is about to close. Form this picture, it looks like Kap is still waiting for the Corner route to magically become open. Boldin is well bracketed, the correct throw here is to Miller. If led properly with the pass, he may net minimal RAC.

The Spot route combination is now dead. Kap has not executed his assignment on the play. If the throw to the flat (Miller) nets 2-3 yards, so be it. Tip your hat to the defense and go play 2nd down.

Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Totally agree with point 2. Kap deserves criticism for his poor play, but most of his critics do not understand the concepts this offense is built on. He's a single read QB because this offense handcuffs him to be one. Expecting him to go through progression reads is impossible. You cannot operate outside the parameters of the offense. There are no progressions, and this was the case with Alex as well. Only difference is that this offense is 4 years old, defenses adapted, and this philosophy has been exposed for the gimmick it is. Harbaugh is incapable of changing the offense, he's married to it, and that's why management is about to show him the door.

best post that will be in this thrread.

Marvins point #2 is pure speculation. It could be true. It could be totally wrong. And everything in between. This theory makes sense, though. If it's true, Harbaugh needs to go, and York/Baalke are right to hire their next coach.

Still sucks.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
10) The future: Ya know what the best thing is about sports? There is always another game. There is always another season. There is always something to look forward to. In some ways, the release of this season is bliss. No more "will they get it together and make a run"? No, they won't. Now its about looking forward. Now its wondering what they might get for Harbaugh. Now its wondering who the next coach might be. Now its wondering how this team adjusts minus Gore, Crab, Iupati and probably a few others.

Marvin,

Do you have any thoughts about Tomsula as the next possible head coach for the Niners? I keep seeing his name out there - supposedly liked by York and Baalke. I don't know much about him.
Originally posted by thl408:
I don't usually do this till Tuesdays, but here is the first INT. I don't need the all22 to know what's going on here. I was curious how often Kap dropped back with good time in the pocket, and no where to pull the trigger. What I found on the first play is all I think I'll need to see.

This is the Spot concept that Walsh used to abuse defenses. It has easy to see progressions built into the route combination and is a staple play in the WCO. I've seen Kap execute this play a number of times. How he could possibly f**k it up here is mind boggling. It's a 5 step drop timing throw. The progression is Corner(VD) -Curl(Boldin) -Flat(Miller). After the 5 step drop, the routes begin to break down as they become dead routes. Crabs is running a backside Curl.

OAK: cover3 with the backside CB playing man coverage on Crabs. There's a deep safety in the middle of the field that is off the screen.
Simply through defensive alignment (orange defender), VD should be red lighted pre snap. He's not going to be open on the Corner route because the orange DB has outside leverage via his positioning. That leaves the next key defender to be the blue defender, the strongside curl-flat defender.

Snapshot of the moment just before the orange defender is off the screen, there is his positioning, Sure enough, orange has outside leverage and will defeat VD's Courner route. Nothing to see here for Kap. He needs to quickly adjust his eye level to the curl-flat defender (blue). Blue is now facing the Curl-Flat concept coming at him.

If blue shades towards, Miller, then rifle it in to Boldin. If blue shades towards Boldin, then target Miller. Easy peasy. Again, it's a rhythm throw. Once the 5 step drop is completed, the routes will begin to break down. Boldin can't get any more open standing there after completing his Curl. Miller can't keep running to the flat or he'll go out of bounds. The window to the backside Curl (Crabs) is about to close. Form this picture, it looks like Kap is still waiting for the Corner route to magically become open. Boldin is well bracketed, the correct throw here is to Miller. If led properly with the pass, he may net minimal RAC.

The Spot route combination is now dead. Kap has not executed his assignment on the play. If the throw to the flat (Miller) nets 2-3 yards, so be it. Tip your hat to the defense and go play 2nd down.

miller in the flat for a 4-5 yard gain is there easy. this f**king guy smh.
^^^^i have no clue what he was looking at. As you said, it's really doesn't getting any easier than the spot concept in terms of reads. If defense blows it throw the corner, or a 5-6 yards gain to WR, or 2-3 yards gain to back in the flat. That's a good first down call that just has to be executed better.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 8, 2014 at 12:52 PM ]
Thanks thl. Did he just completely ignore the short routes? I mean, those would literally be right in front of him if looking at VD. Is this just bad football or is this being coached in to look for the deep routes? I don't get it.
Kaep has tunnel vision downfield. Takes too long to come off of it. It's the same problem since he started going into the game on spot duty in 2010-11. The MNF game against the Bears was an aberration. He has rarely reach back to that level of finding receivers on the field.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Originally posted by susweel:
man that was depressing

Haha. It is kinda...when AB loses hope...we lose hope haha.

It's cool though. I'm in the same spot AB. It was relieving for me and I can't wait till next year when we are healthy and maybe have a better scheme. For now though, 3 games to go.

Arnaz Battle? Antoine Bethea? Ahmad Brooks? Ohhh, Anquan Boldin! No?
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Thanks thl. Did he just completely ignore the short routes? I mean, those would literally be right in front of him if looking at VD. Is this just bad football or is this being coached in to look for the deep routes? I don't get it.

It's bad decision making. The offensive play has level of read built into it with timing on each route to tell you when and where you should go with the ball. And the qb has to have vision during his drop back to make adjustment as needed. On that particular play Kaep failed miserably to recognized early on that the deep route isn't there. And that he should look to the underneath level. Instead, he scramble to the left with only Crabtree on that side. That basically telling the safety he's going to throw to Crabtree. Thus the INT.

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 8, 2014 at 1:05 PM ]

what a shocker, Kap refusing to check down and take whats there

did this guy learn nothing from Alex???
  • thl408

I don't believe that he is being coached to look deep, and keep looking deep. At least not on this particular play. The progressions are built into the route combination. This play has been run by every offense in the league and by the 49ers offense a thousand times dating back to the 80s. Kap is ignoring the short route on this play.

The thing is, he's run this play many times before and he's made the correct throw. I think he's pressing and trying to do too much. As a QB, he needs to execute the throw that is built into the design of the play. If the play nets minimal yardage then that's on the play design/call. In the film room, no one on the offense is going to think Kap did something wrong if Miller catches a 3 yard pass. When Kap tries to do too much and throws up a floater, then everyone will shake their heads.
This seems to be something relatively easy to coach up -- to take the short throw and move the chains. Maybe I'm wrong, but in the WC offense that Walsh ran, these 4 and 5 yards gain WERE the central concept of the offense. These were considered basically running plays.
Originally posted by thl408:

I don't believe that he is being coached to look deep, and keep looking deep. At least not on this particular play. The progressions are built into the route combination. This play has been run by every offense in the league and by the 49ers offense a thousand times dating back to the 80s. Kap is ignoring the short route on this play.

The thing is, he's run this play many times before and he's made the correct throw. I think he's pressing and trying to do too much. As a QB, he needs to execute the throw that is built into the design of the play. If the play nets minimal yardage then that's on the play design/call. In the film room, no one on the offense is going to think Kap did something wrong if Miller catches a 3 yard pass. When Kap tries to do too much and throws up a floater, then everyone will shake their heads.

Trying to pile up stats? Trying to get the ball to VD and Crabs? I don't get why he would be pressing on the first play of the game. Is he broken? As strange as that may sound, taking all of these sacks may have just broken his spirit and potential for decent QB play.
Kaep taking the NFL by storm. No f**king patients for measly checkdowns.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 8, 2014 at 1:08 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone