LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 284 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
big problem I have with Ward is that in my opinion, his coverage technique is extremely poor. and he keeps getting matched up on slot guys who are usually shifty and run good routes that involve change of direction, and are hard to press.

being a 'ballhawk' is extremely overrated and especially in this day and age where consistent good coverage will always healthily trump a crappy one with occasional turnover.

and tbh there is also no way to hawk the ball or make a play on the ball if you're constantly beaten by five-eight yards and are turned around and cant catch up with the WR.

cox needs to be put back in the slot and we should try dontae johnson outside. johnson might get burned deep a few times, but at least he wont be as easy of a target to pick on as ward in the slot.

its kinda sad, I miss brown. he wasnt a great corner, but he was smart enough to play zone and not give up big plays. ward and johnson simply are projects, they aren't ready to play now. and now is what we desperately need with brock out for a while :(
The AJ Jenkins on defense.
I think its a bit too early to call Ward a bust or that he sucks. When there isn't any pass rush happening and the QB have so much time in the pocket like Cutler and Stanton been getting you would find a receiver and for sure your DB's would look bad, I think Brown's TD was a miscommunication between the Safety and Ward. Yes he needs to fix some things but I think the whole team needs to do that as well, I wouldn't even touch Brandon Marshall Vs Ward because Marshall is a beast regardless of which CB you put against him.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
While it might be too early to confirm him as a full blown bust at this point, he hasn't shown hardly anything for us to be positive about. Eric Reid pretty much showed his worth from the word go. While a lot of top CBs were picked ahead of us, we could have had Bradley Roby who was picked by the Broncos right after us and the kid has shown some pretty promising signs already.
Freakin' zoners It is truly embarrassing to read most of the crap people post here.
He got toasted by Marshall. We need that taller dude against B Mursh.
I think Ward will be just fine. He shouldn't be guarding 6'4 receivers though. Coaches have put him in a bad position. Coaching has been bad this whole year.
  • thl408
Originally posted by nothing03:
He is outmatch even on smaller receiver did you see Browns touchdown just ran past by him.
Brown was smaller receiver but he got burn they are both rookie. Just like the other poster mentioned either you got it or you don't. What makes Reid great on his rookie year is after he makes mistakes he learn from this guy doesn't seem to have it. He is our worst corner so far they should take him out of nickel before his confidence take sa full dive and cost the team even more.

This TD was on Reid, all the way. Things the TV broadcast don't show you.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
He got toasted by Marshall. We need that taller dude against B Mursh.

that is a coaching decision.

he's playing the slot.. the toughest db position. he's got to get help over the top im confident in him elsewhere.
Originally posted by thl408:
He is outmatch even on smaller receiver did you see Browns touchdown just ran past by him.
Brown was smaller receiver but he got burn they are both rookie. Just like the other poster mentioned either you got it or you don't. What makes Reid great on his rookie year is after he makes mistakes he learn from this guy doesn't seem to have it. He is our worst corner so far they should take him out of nickel before his confidence take sa full dive and cost the team even more.

oh no it showed me lol. Reid jumped the intermediate middle route instead of just staying back over the top... and bathea had to try and run from all the way across the field which just wasn't happening

so

either reid made a boo boo
or that was the dumbest defensive play call vic has made all year

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Mike Rumph 2.0
rookie is learning by fire, no issues

the issue i have is the punk said he did his job and someone else screwed up to the media after the game on the 2nd td

hey jimmy, ur a rookie, stfu....did any of your teammates tell the media they did their job and u screwed up?

no, that's not how teams work....especially this
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by iLL49er:

the issue i have is the punk said he did his job and someone else screwed up to the media after the game on the 2nd td

hey jimmy, ur a rookie, stfu....did any of your teammates tell the media they did their job and u screwed up?

wow he really said that ?
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by thl408:

oh no it showed me lol. Reid jumped the intermediate middle route instead of just staying back over the top... and bathea had to try and run from all the way across the field which just wasn't happening

so

either reid made a boo boo
or that was the dumbest defensive play call vic has made all year

Oh whoops, I didn't know how in depth the replay of that TD was on TV. I was probably yelling at the sky or something.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by iLL49er:

wow he really said that ?

Total bad move. At least he didn't name names. "Oh no I did my job, but Eric was somewhere else on that play".
Share 49ersWebzone