LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 224 users in the forums

Best 49ers RB of all-time?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Best 49ers RB of all-time?

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Gotta go with Gore. Craig had the luxury of being on great teams. Gore did a lot of damage against 8-10 man boxes and played with scrubs for a better part of his career and still was dominant.

Perfectly Said
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
is this a srs question?
Originally posted by Constantine:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Gotta go with Gore. Craig had the luxury of being on great teams. Gore did a lot of damage against 8-10 man boxes and played with scrubs for a better part of his career and still was dominant.

Perfectly Said

The fact that Gore managed to put up 1,000 yards in 2007 in the Jim Hostler offense, with Dilfer at QB most of the way speaks volumes.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Gore!

Craig had to cheat by raising his legs all high n $h!t when he ran through traffic. I got Glen Coffee a close 2nd and Terry Jackson not too far behind.

Serious lack of Hearst, Ricky Watters or a member of the Million Dollar Backfield on this list, but it really does not matter cuz Frank the Tank is better than them all!
Wendell Tyler, hated him when he was with the rams but loved him when he put on the red and gold But yeah Frank Gore all time best .
[ Edited by 16to87 on Apr 22, 2014 at 10:07 PM ]
Lota of young fans, you can tell by the poll. When has Gore ever had a 1000/1000yrd season; never, not remotely close. How are Gire's hands, not very good unless he's catching a 3 yrd checkdown from Smith out in the flat. If you want to talk about pure running, ok then, Gire has been a workhorse through he has very little highlights of running though tackles like Roger did with the high knee action.

But if you want to talk about all around best, it's Craig. I think talking about Heart< Waters or any others, well their careers were not long with the Niners compared to Gore and Craig..
Havent we had this discussion before? Don't forget about Joe Perry. You should qualify the topic with best running back of the modern era.

Gore's hands are fine. Gore and Craig are both all-time backs. Gore is the more gifted runner.
Chuck Levy!
Originally posted by LVJay:
Gore!

Craig had to cheat by raising his legs all high n $h!t when he ran through traffic. I got Glen Coffee a close 2nd and Terry Jackson not too far behind.

Raising legs "cheating?" I assume you also think Hearst's stiff-arm against the jets for a 98 yard TD was "cheating" too. Roger Craig all the way.

Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Gore!

Raising legs "cheating?" I assume you also think Hearst's stiff-arm against the jets for a 98 yard TD was "cheating" too. Roger Craig all the way.

He wasn't being serious.

You are all comparing two very different players. Gore is a whole hearted runner, and a great team player. Craig, who also put in 2 or 3 seasons at fullback, was a dual threat weapon. He was as good a receiver as any, with the possible exception of Rice of course, and a great runner.

Personally delighted to have been able to watch them both.
Travis Jervey
I can't speak to the million dollar backfield, but if the backs I have seen I would go:

1.)Craig-stated as a FB transitioned to a hb was an ultimate threat out of the backfield, in fact led team in receptions a couple of times even with Jerry on the team. Plus the first 1000/1000
2.)Gore-spent his prime on really bad teams, however has aged gracefully and I'm still pissed he didn't get at least one carry inside the 5 in the Super Bowl.
3.)Watters-was a little too loose with the ball, but production was great and was a vital cog in The shanahan coordinated WCOs
4.)Hearst-I still cringe at his injury in Atlanta in '98 divisionals, I really think we win the Super Bowl that years if he doesn't get hurt.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Apr 23, 2014 at 6:12 AM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Garcia2Owens:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Garrison Hearst anyone?

I loved Garrison

Hearst was awesome. It's a shame we lost him for 2 years. He would have dominated. Amazing athlete to be as effective as he was when he came back.

That cheap carpet on the Atlanta field cost us a SB shot. First play of the game Hearst goes for 8 yards and his foot gets caught in a seam ending our hopes and 2 years of a great career.
Joe Perry-Roger Craig - Frank Gore
Share 49ersWebzone