LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 151 users in the forums

Best 49ers RB of all-time?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Best 49ers RB of all-time?

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
That cheap carpet on the Atlanta field cost us a SB shot. First play of the game Hearst goes for 8 yards and his foot gets caught in a seam ending our hopes and 2 years of a great career.

In a way it kinda started the demise of the dynasty. With Hearst basically misses two years, it sent us out searching for running backs and unfortunately that led to giving that piece of s**t L.phillips a spot, which ultimately led to the end of steve young's career.
Charlie Garner was a slick RB
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Charlie Garner was a slick RB

The two things I will always remember about garner is first the game he had against with Philly in 1994 and the 200 yard game he had against Dallas in 2000. Because of the latter, he will always have a very special place in my heart
Gore is the greatest but my favorite was definitely Hearst. Charlie Garner was a lot of fun to watch too. I was too young to really have seen Craig or even Watters for that matter but I wished I could have watched them in their prime. I'm hoping Lattimore is the next name we add to this list. Definitely rooting for the guy and how could you not.
This thread title doesn't need a question mark. It's gire
Craig played on better teams. Gore has the record for yardage. Joe Perry has the record for TD's with 500 less than Gore so far. Perry also has the best average at 5.2 yards. It's got to be between Gore and Perry which speaks well for Gore since Perry is in the Hall.

I'm sorry about Craig, but I'm still bitter about him not just making sure he holds on to the ball as they're centering the offense for a field goal to seal the deal and go to their third straight Super Bowl. I simply can never forgive him for that.
It's Gore.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Craig played on better teams. Gore has the record for yardage. Joe Perry has the record for TD's with 500 less than Gore so far. Perry also has the best average at 5.2 yards. It's got to be between Gore and Perry which speaks well for Gore since Perry is in the Hall.

I'm sorry about Craig, but I'm still bitter about him not just making sure he holds on to the ball as they're centering the offense for a field goal to seal the deal and go to their third straight Super Bowl. I simply can never forgive him for that.

wow,, a hall of fame career, he was a huge reason why we won super bowls back in the day and you judge his career on one play that took place in a game that was 25 years ago and is just a footnote in history?? what do you do when your kid spills a glass of milk?
Toss up between Bill Ring and Paul Hofer
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Toss up between Bill Ring and Paul Hofer

those two and ken willard were certainly under the radar backs in our history. one of the best one two tandems we had were willard and vic washington from 71-73 and of course delvin williams and wilbur jackson in that "could have been magical" season of 1976 under monte

Originally posted by cciowa:
wow,, a hall of fame career, he was a huge reason why we won super bowls back in the day and you judge his career on one play that took place in a game that was 25 years ago and is just a footnote in history?? what do you do when your kid spills a glass of milk?

Clean up the milk and let it go. But when you're on the 15 yard line and all you have to do is hold on to the ball to have a chance to do something no team has ever done or probably ever will do, the last thing you want to do is lose concentration and let that ball be punched out. You have both hands on the ball. It's not a "footnote" to me. It's a key mistake that prevented the team from doing something amazing and extraordinary. Don't get completely pushed out of shape on this. I really like the player and I agree he was a key player although I wouldn't call him a "huge" reason why the team won Super Bowls. I would call him a real good, productive member of the team. There's really only one reason why the Niners are not the only team in history to win three Super Bowls in a row - Roger Craig's fumble. I've got my tongue in my cheek when I say I'm still bitter. I'm over being angry about it. But, it's still there. To me, it's one of the most extraordinary and meaningful mistakes to ever be made in a football game.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Clean up the milk and let it go. But when you're on the 15 yard line and all you have to do is hold on to the ball to have a chance to do something no team has ever done or probably ever will do, the last thing you want to do is lose concentration and let that ball be punched out. You have both hands on the ball. It's not a "footnote" to me. It's a key mistake that prevented the team from doing something amazing and extraordinary. Don't get completely pushed out of shape on this. I really like the player and I agree he was a key player although I wouldn't call him a "huge" reason why the team won Super Bowls. I would call him a real good, productive member of the team. There's really only one reason why the Niners are not the only team in history to win three Super Bowls in a row - Roger Craig's fumble. I've got my tongue in my cheek when I say I'm still bitter. I'm over being angry about it. But, it's still there. To me, it's one of the most extraordinary and meaningful mistakes to ever be made in a football game.
i think you may be the one who needs to let it go you also have no proof young could have won the super bowl that year had we went. and yes he was a huge reason, without him we would have been like miami. one dimensional . he made a mistake 25 years ago and i got over that a long time ago because his good play in a niner uniform over shadowed that one mistake. again steve young was not ready for the big show in my opinion.

i think you may be the one who needs to let it go you also have no proof young could have won the super bowl that year had we went. and yes he was a huge reason, without him we would have been like miami. one dimensional . he made a mistake 25 years ago and i got over that a long time ago because his good play in a niner uniform over shadowed that one mistake. again steve young was not ready for the big show in my opinion.

yeah hindsight is 20/20. the bills at the time we not 3 or 4 time sb losers, they didnt have any of the baggage they would eventually have. their 1990 team was the best of their 4 sb teams and while we would have been favoured, we'd be starting a back up qb and have a lot of pressure being back to back champs. i'd like to think we'd win, but you cant say for sure.
I don't know. I think that Niner team matched up with the Bills a lot better than the Giants did. But look, you're dealing with someone who is still bitter about those bogus calls at the end of the '83 NFC championship game in DC and still bitter about not catching that on-side kick by the Cowboys in '70. I'm not bitter about much of anything in my personal life so I guess I need to hold on to these comparably less important things to have some degree of bitterness for personal balance.
Steve Young would have had two weeks to prepare and he would have kicked azz in that game. It would have made a huge difference in his level of acceptance during the next few years in SF.
Share 49ersWebzone