LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 249 users in the forums

What kind of offense do we run?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I love this thread. I bet 75% of my posts have been in this thread, buck's passing game thread and thl408's all 22 td thread. I'm starting to see a theme in my posting habits
[ Edited by Niners816 on May 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM ]

Marcus Martin is going to stop this from happening so Kaepernick will have some time now and then to step up into a pocket and not throw off his back foot.
[ Edited by crake49 on May 14, 2014 at 3:29 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:

Marcus Martin is going to stop this from happening so Kaepernick will have some time now and then to step up into a pocket and not throw off his back foot.

^^ Goodwin really lost a step last year.

Marcus Martin could be an instant upgrade, only question is....how long does it take to get comfortable playing Center in this offense with all the line calls and added responsibilities?

I hope he can beat Kilgore out. I like Kilgore, but Martin is a superior athlete. Big, physical, and athletic. He's really impressive.
The kind that goes forward... alot
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Marcus Martin could be an instant upgrade, only question is....how long does it take to get comfortable playing Center in this offense with all the line calls and added responsibilities?

I hope he can beat Kilgore out. I like Kilgore, but Martin is a superior athlete. Big, physical, and athletic. He's really impressive.

I totally agree with this. If we could get good play at the center position, that could be one of the biggest thing that could be seen by us fans just watching the games. It would lead to less stuffed runs and cleaner pass pockets for kaep. I've got a gut feeling that our line as a whole is gonna play at a very high level next year, and the insertion of a more athletic center is gonna be a big reason why.

Kilgore could of stopped that from happening too, sometimes the coaches are loyal to a fault to some of these vets. Luckily he was one of the last ones they had that problem with, with the exception of Snyder.. gotta bad feeling his "versatility" might knock someone promising off the roster.
A run first, un-imaginery, bad red zone offense.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
whatever gore and ck decide to call in the huddle.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
Kilgore could of stopped that from happening too, sometimes the coaches are loyal to a fault to some of these vets. Luckily he was one of the last ones they had that problem with, with the exception of Snyder.. gotta bad feeling his "versatility" might knock someone promising off the roster.

If it does, I hope we get a draft pick out of it!

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

I think Martin can beat Kilgore out. Kilgore isn't a 3 year veteran that has been playing and starting at the center position for the last three years. Kilgore may know the line calls a bit better than Martin, who is coming in fresh from the draft, but I don't think its an insurmountable distance for Martin to bridge if Martin is so much more superior to Kilgore athletically.

Other than the complicated line calls, the center position - is probably the least *physically* demanding positions on the entire line. Usually that's where aging Guards and Tackles go when they slow down. You have help at the Center Position from the Guards and the backs in pass protections. If Martin consistently road grades DT's and NT's on run plays during pre-season, I think he'll be a lock at starting in front of Kilgore. After all, we're a run first team and Martin would probably be as valuable as a RB or WR in converting 3rd and short into first downs if he can open those middle lanes for the short yardage game.
To the OP, it took us a while to figure that out but we think we've got it narrowed down. But the REAL question now is, "What will our offense be going forward?"

Or Kap could learn to slide and step up. The Oline isn't going to win every battle.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
the center position - is probably the least *physically* demanding positions on the entire line. Usually that's where aging Guards and Tackles go when they slow down.

Interesting point.

Can you give examples of guards or tackles that have been moved to center when they slowed down.?

With Stevie Johnson, Crabtree, Boldin, VD, Patton, And Ellington. Roman will run the 1 WR set until the other defense wilt or until we are more than 17 pts behind.
Share 49ersWebzone